Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014 graduates - the next step onwards

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'll be there, and yes there's lots of tea and lots of cakes and plenty more besides!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Not doing it myself unfortunately as I'd heard great things. Best of luck to everyone heading out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Was hoping to do it but will still be in Donegal, for some reason thought K Club was later in April... Doh. Bummed as so many are doing it, would have been great to see people.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

chickey2 wrote: »
    So who's going to be at the k club on Saturday? And what are your goals? I'm going but not expecting much due to a disgraceful lack of running in the last few weeks. I have a list of excuses but I won't bore you with them. Anyway, my hopes of a sub 50 are gone and I'll be happy with 55. I ran 52 in a training run pre marathon but my only official 10k time is the women's mini marathon in 2013 which I did in 79 minutes so I'm pretty much guaranteed a pb!
    We'll have to meet up after the race. I think there's tea and cakes!

Hi Guys,
    I have signed up for the SPAR 10K in the PP this Saturday, so can't do the K Club as well unless I meet Micheal J Fox in his Delorean :).

Really looking forward to this race, last 2-3K are tough (steep hills), but hopefully I am shaping up for a PB (49:10 or better), as I have been doing a bit over the past few weeks, including the Naas Duathlon and a nice few 10-12K runs....fingers crossed.

Best of luck to anyone doing the K Club race ......enjoy the Tea and Cakes....hmmmm ....cakes :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Will see some of you then on Sat at the K Club. Ah Smashiner, hills v flat????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Doing the K Club as well. I am a disgrace when it comes to running lately, have been very up and down with training so just going along to get some race practice and see how I get on, first race since DCM :eek:. Have never done a 10k before so guarantee PB which is great :D! Something around 55/56 would be great the way I have been going lately. See ye there!

aquinn wrote: »
    Will see some of you then on Sat at the K Club. Ah Smashiner, hills v flat????

Hi aquinn,
    How are you these days? Hills v Flat.....Flat all the way, going to target my next Marathon in Holland :D

smashiner wrote: »
    Hi aquinn,
    How are you these days? Hills v Flat.....Flat all the way, going to target my next Marathon in Holland :D

HOLLAND, Oh do tell, have you entered?
    I was temped by the tweet from here at the weekend. Anyone fancy a Southern French 'break' in Nov?

http://www.marathon06.com/2015/

I'm great thanks. How's all with you? All back and leg aches ok now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

HOLLAND, Oh do tell, have you entered?
    I was temped by the tweet from here at the weekend. Anyone fancy a Southern French 'break' in Nov?

http://www.marathon06.com/2015/

/QUOTE]

oh la la :D if I ever do another marathon shoot me it will be abroad for sure!

We can do the relay option!

• Advertisement

We can do the relay option!

Yep, I will take the first 10K and then meet you all at the bar!! The 'Holland' Marathon was a gag (sooo flat there).....going to give the DCM another bash this year....sub 4 hour target....unfinished business etc etc. Legs have eventually recovered from DCM 14 and IT band sorted :-)

Seriously thinking of joining a gym for the first time ever for 6 months (Watlings Guinness Gym, 25M pool and small Gym), and really go nuts for a few months, Triathlons, HM's and then the DCM... mid life crisis here I come :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I wouldn't go for Triathalons at all. Maybe 10K's, HM's and DCM?

Much better!

Yep, I will take the first 10K and then meet you all at the bar!! The 'Holland' Marathon was a gag (sooo flat there).....going to give the DCM another bash this year....sub 4 hour target....unfinished business etc etc. Legs have eventually recovered from DCM 14 and IT band sorted :-)

Seriously thinking of joining a gym for the first time ever for 6 months (Watlings Guinness Gym, 25M pool and small Gym), and really go nuts for a few months, Triathlons, HM's and then the DCM... mid life crisis here I come :D

Don't forget your Dualathons. I'm still pondering one of those.
    Pool would be nice but not to be stuck in a stinky gym in this weather.
    DCM again? 2016 is the year for that! :D

adrian522 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go for Triathalons at all. Maybe 10K's, HM's and DCM?

Much better!

Yeah, I am a bit hesitant about the swimming bit too, I did a bit in the pool today about 650 Metres (26 lengths), but mostly breast stoke, still struggling with the front crawl (breathing and swimming together). So my excursion in to the Triathlon scene may be one or two events and then back the 'day job' of running, as I would miss the auld running too much!

Duathlons are good crack and defo helps with improving your running by 15-20 seconds a KM (for me anyway), so they are worth looking at as another form of 'non impact' training if you have a niggle and want to exercise without pounding the pavement.

Jacques Cousteau out :D

Yeah, I am a bit hesitant about the swimming bit too, I did a bit in the pool today about 650 Metres (26 lengths), but mostly breast stoke, still struggling with the front crawl (breathing and swimming together). So my excursion in to the Triathlon scene may be one or two events and then back the 'day job' of running, as I would miss the auld running too much!

Duathlons are good crack and defo helps with improving your running by 15-20 seconds a KM (for me anyway), so they are worth looking at as another form of 'non impact' training if you have a niggle and want to exercise without pounding the pavement.

Jacques Cousteau out :D

Best of luck tomorrow, save something for the second half of that race!
    So who's going to be at the k club on Saturday? And what are your goals? I'm going but not expecting much due to a disgraceful lack of running in the last few weeks. I have a list of excuses but I won't bore you with them. Anyway, my hopes of a sub 50 are gone and I'll be happy with 55. I ran 52 in a training run pre marathon but my only official 10k time is the women's mini marathon in 2013 which I did in 79 minutes so I'm pretty much guaranteed a pb!
    We'll have to meet up after the race. I think there's tea and cakes!

Best of luck to you too, hopefully chat to you afterwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Best of luck chickey2, smashiner and all you graduates running tomorrow/this weekend! Enjoy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Best of luck chickey2, smashiner and all you graduates running tomorrow/this weekend! Enjoy :)

+1 to that. I'm losing track of who's running where but looking forward to hearing about all the PB's in the race reports!

annapr wrote: »
    +1 to that. I'm losing track of who's running where but looking forward to hearing about all the PB's in the race reports!

Yes me too! Good luck to everyone tomorrow :)

What's the best thing to do after racing today? The plan says 100 mins easy, should I go ahead & do that as today was 'only' 10k? Any thoughts/suggestions welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

No idea I'm afraid firedance! I'm still at the k club. Went to the spa after the race for a swim and jacuzzi and now I'm the bar! Now thats a post race routine I could get used to!
    You'd think I'd done a great time to deserve it. Official time was 51.59 but I was a late starter and my watch says 51.32 so im going with that. Delighted to get under 52!

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    What's the best thing to do after racing today? The plan says 100 mins easy, should I go ahead & do that as today was 'only' 10k? Any thoughts/suggestions welcome!

No, I'd either take a day off or do a short recovery run tomorrow. Don't try and squeeze a long run in as a race will take a lot more out of you than a normal 10 k run.

No idea I'm afraid firedance! I'm still at the k club. Went to the spa after the race for a swim and jacuzzi and now I'm the bar! Now thats a post race routine I could get used to!
    You'd think I'd done a great time to deserve it. Official time was 51.59 but I was a late starter and my watch says 51.32 so im going with that. Delighted to get under 52!
    Ha ha that's the best post race routine I've ever seen!! Lovely to meet you today & well done on your time :)

Thanks Adrian, will stick with recovery, what's the optimum recovery distance - would 4 miles be ok?

Yeah, that should be fine I think, just go very slowly, slower than your normal easy pace...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Exactly as Adrian says. Just an easy recovery run\walk. The aim is to feel better after the run than you did before.

Hi guys,
    I managed to pull a PB today at the SPAR 10K in the PP today....48:22, so I am delighted with that..........I too went to the bar and had a few medicinal pints of Guinness. It was a bit windy today, but I stuck to my plan and didn't go out too fast and I then had a bit in the tank for a strong finish....... normally I would crawl over the line shattered :-)

Well done to everyone who raced today........keep it going!!

Well done to you! Great work getting a PB on that course with that wind! Great running,

Well done to everyone today - great reading all the reports!!! The wind sounded pretty sh**y here in Cork so if was anything similar there the conditions weren't the best day for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Well done to everyone today - great reading all the reports!!! The wind sounded pretty sh**y here in Cork so if was anything similar there the conditions weren't the best day for it!

+1 ! Delighted to read about all the reports and so many PBs and some first time 10kers!
    The Clearlier Plan is Clearly working!!! Congrats all. Recover and celebrate well!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SoundoftheSea

Just signed up for the Dublin Rock n Roll half. hoping to do a sub 2 hrs. Anyone else doing this race?

• Advertisement

Just signed up for the Dublin Rock n Roll half. hoping to do a sub 2 hrs. Anyone else doing this race?

Probably not. If I do another half this year it'll be September or maybe Waterford in December. How's training been going? Planning on a particular plan for the half?

Advertisement