Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014 graduates - the next step onwards

1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I need to apologise. I said that I would do a couple of plans for a 10k and a half marathon and I just haven't done them so sorry.

A couple of people have asked me to comment on their training plans and I'm very happy to do that for whoever would like it.

I had a couple of thoughts which may be useful.

- If your half marathon target is in or around 2 hours and you're consistently running upwards of 25mpw then Pfitzinger and Daniels Advanced Marathon book has a 33 - 55mpw plan at the back of the book. Turning the mid-week general aerobic run into a marathon paced (as calculated by what we did in the graduate plan) and maxing out the long runs at 2.5hrs will give you a really solid basis for knocking several minutes off your PB.
    - There are two ways that I know of that help to peak for a specific distance.
    • McMillan has a 10k plan which uses the method of running at target pace for longer and longer as the weeks go by. A lot of people report a lot of success with this approach.
    • The alternative is to have two key runs a week. One where you run slightly faster than target pace for a shortish distance and the other where you run slightly slower than target pace for a longer distance. As you get closer to the target race these runs start to converge so the faster one gets closer to target pace but slightly longer and the slower one gets slightly faster but for a slightly shorter distance.
    - Always have some running at faster than target pace in the last couple of weeks - the aim of this is to ensure that when you're running your race you'll be comfortable at turning over your legs at the appropriate pace

Again, I'm very happy to comment on individual plans either on this thread or via pm/email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Clearlier, your graduates plan worked out great for me and for others here too. I used it to get me to the Cork Half yesterday and broke that 2 hour barrier. In particular, the sessions have really made a difference for me. So thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Just signed up for the Dublin Rock n Roll half. hoping to do a sub 2 hrs. Anyone else doing this race?

I might do it, but the price tag at €49 (Is that right?), seems a bit steep versus say the the Dublin HM in the PP in September (only €20). I know a few people that did the R&R HM last year and to be fair they enjoyed running in the City and got a feel for doing the DCM.

I have been working on swimming and running in the past few months and completed my first open water swim last week at the Howth Aquathon (500M Swim and 3.4K Run). I plan to do Race 2+3 in Howth Aqua and a Triathlon in the next 4-5 weeks and then get the head back down and focus on the longer runs and HM season and hopefully DCM 15.

You have me thinking about the R&R now.......raid the piggy bank......raid the piggy bank :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

smashiner wrote: »
    I might do it, but the price tag at €49 (Is that right?), seems a bit steep versus say the the Dublin HM in the PP in September (only €20). I know a few people that did the R&R HM last year and to be fair they enjoyed running in the City and got a feel for doing the DCM.

I have been working on swimming and running in the past few months and completed my first open water swim last week at the Howth Aquathon (500M Swim and 3.4K Run). I plan to do Race 2+3 in Howth Aqua and a Triathlon in the next 4-5 weeks and then get the head back down and focus on the longer runs and HM season and hopefully DCM 15.

You have me thinking about the R&R now.......raid the piggy bank......raid the piggy bank :D

Are you a member of a club?

I am pretty sure given that it is the National Championship there is reduced rates for AAI affiliate members.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Are you a member of a club?

I am pretty sure given that it is the National Championship there is reduced rates for AAI affiliate members.

I am not in a club at the moment as family life and busy job etc mean that I have to 'smash and grab' any training slots I can get....normally I get lots of time to train when the 'X Factor' starts as I become invisible at home ;).

Thanks for the note anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Clearlier wrote: »
    I need to apologise. I said that I would do a couple of plans for a 10k and a half marathon and I just haven't done them so sorry.

A couple of people have asked me to comment on their training plans and I'm very happy to do that for whoever would like it.

I had a couple of thoughts which may be useful.

- If your half marathon target is in or around 2 hours and you're consistently running upwards of 25mpw then Pfitzinger and Daniels Advanced Marathon book has a 33 - 55mpw plan at the back of the book. Turning the mid-week general aerobic run into a marathon paced (as calculated by what we did in the graduate plan) and maxing out the long runs at 2.5hrs will give you a really solid basis for knocking several minutes off your PB.
    - There are two ways that I know of that help to peak for a specific distance.
    • McMillan has a 10k plan which uses the method of running at target pace for longer and longer as the weeks go by. A lot of people report a lot of success with this approach.
    • The alternative is to have two key runs a week. One where you run slightly faster than target pace for a shortish distance and the other where you run slightly slower than target pace for a longer distance. As you get closer to the target race these runs start to converge so the faster one gets closer to target pace but slightly longer and the slower one gets slightly faster but for a slightly shorter distance.
    - Always have some running at faster than target pace in the last couple of weeks - the aim of this is to ensure that when you're running your race you'll be comfortable at turning over your legs at the appropriate pace

Again, I'm very happy to comment on individual plans either on this thread or via pm/email.

Hi Clearlier,
    I'm repeating your graduate plan at the moment and am almost at 25 miles per week. i just got the Pfitzinger and Latter book called "Faster Road Racing" and was going to try the 12 week half marathon plan from there. Its a 31-47 miles per week plan. Do you know it? I don't know if it's similar to the one you mentioned in Advanced Marathon Running. My PB from last year is 1:57 so I just want to beat that!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SoundoftheSea

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Probably not. If I do another half this year it'll be September or maybe Waterford in December. How's training been going? Planning on a particular plan for the half?

I have been dipping in and out of training. I gave myself a good taking to and had to sign up to something quick to get myself motivated.
    I am going to run every day, even if its just 2-3 miles.
    So fast short runs and slower long runs.
    Sub 2 hrs is way to ambitious as my fastest HM so far is 2.19 so if I don't achieve it in Aug I might try Waterford in Dec.
    Yesterday did 6 miles @ 10.30 mm and today 3 miles @ 9 mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I have been dipping in and out of training. I gave myself a good taking to and had to sign up to something quick to get myself motivated.
    I am going to run every day, even if its just 2-3 miles.
    So fast short runs and slower long runs.

Sub 2 hrs is way to ambitious as my fastest HM so far is 2.19 so if I don't achieve it in Aug I might try Waterford in Dec.
    Yesterday did 6 miles @ 10.30 mm and today 3 miles @ 9 mm.

Great to hear the update SotS! Delighted to hear you're getting back into it. Sounds like a good plan you have there :)
    Best of luck and keep the updates coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

chickey2 wrote: »
    Hi Clearlier,
    I'm repeating your graduate plan at the moment and am almost at 25 miles per week. i just got the Pfitzinger and Latter book called "Faster Road Racing" and was going to try the 12 week half marathon plan from there. Its a 31-47 miles per week plan. Do you know it? I don't know if it's similar to the one you mentioned in Advanced Marathon Running. My PB from last year is 1:57 so I just want to beat that!

Hi chickey. I'm not familiar with it I'm afraid. I have got one of their editions of that book though and can take a look. Does it prescribe every run or just the sessions for the week? Regardless of that they tend to produce solid plans and if 47 miles is further than you've run before in a week then it will certainly stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Clearlier wrote: »
    Hi chickey. I'm not familiar with it I'm afraid. I have got one of their editions of that book though and can take a look. Does it prescribe every run or just the sessions for the week? Regardless of that they tend to produce solid plans and if 47 miles is further than you've run before in a week then it will certainly stand to you.

They prescribe every run. I have the book too and will hopefully start one of their plans soon enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement