Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014 graduates - the next step onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Dub13 wrote: »
    I was not near any hills today as I went for a run along the promenade in Clonfarf. I did a 3k warm up followed by 10 x 100 metre strides, the seats on the promenade are roughly 100 meters apart so was very handy. Was this an adequate replacement for what was in the program..?

I am off to Liverpool tomorrow for the game, not sure why I punish myself. So I did not rest Monday and will rest tomorrow instead.

Avg HR: 150 bpm
    Max HR: 166 bpm

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/641373720

Hope you're a liverpool fan and not an Everton one and that you enjoyed the trip!

Strides are a pretty good replacement. If you have to do it again you might try looking for the slightest of inclines and sprint on that for 6 - 8 seconds. That would probably be a slightly better approximation but strides are good too.

I have been looking in here now and then to see the sessions that Clearlier is posting. I am going to pick out what suits me for race prep. I am hoping to break 40 mins for the 10km before the year is out. I broke 19 mins for the 5km a couple of weeks back.
    Today I did a 6 x 1 mile session. Well to be exact the distance was around 1600m as I did 4 laps of a track each time.
    My hamstring has been tender the last week. I was hoping to do this session on Tues but just did an easy 5 miles each day this wèek to let the hamstring heal.
    I did a mile and a half warm up and then set off.
    Splits
    I did a 400m slow jog (around 2/3 mins) after each set to recover.
    The session went well and I feel these are a great benefit. My last one of these sessions was a 3 x 1 mile and my splits then were 5.55 6.14 6.14 I think so I feel there is a bit of progression there. The last time I also did an 800m jog recovery after each set. Overall I am very happy and the hamstring feels ok.

They're a pretty good race specific session and those times indicate that you should be able to go sub-40. If you're doing one again I'd suggest that you aim to do progressively faster splits so that the first one is the slowest and the last one the fastest. Takes a fair bit of discipline and you'll probably need a couple of goes to get it right but it gives you a really good feel for the kind of effort levels that you need to be hitting in the race itself. Most importantly though it mimics the way in which you should run the race itself. Start out steady and finish strong. If you get the pacing right you'll almost certainly be passing people from about 2-3k in right to the finish. I'd suggest a goal of running the first mile in no faster than 6:20 or ideally 6:25. Just as in a marathon it's not a good idea to 'bank' time in the first half of the race.
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Getting back into the swing of things now, 6 miles yesterday and 10 today as a kind of LSR. Probably went a bit too fast this morning but wasn't really paying attention to the watch.

Sounds like you're getting back into the swing of things Adrian.
    smashiner wrote: »
    Quick update: Went to my physio on Friday afternoon and it turns out that I was knotted up like a set of last years fairy lights (festive or wot). I was so knotted up, I have to go back to him for a FOC 10 minutes on Monday to get the last few knots out!

He reckons that although my IT band is sore, it is not really my IT band that is the true root cause as they are really tough, rather I am mechanically out of sync, one leg was slightly longer than the other, hips and lower back are stiff etc. He thinks that foam rollers and stretching are fine but not always the solution to IT band problems.

Back on Monday evening with him, feeling semi confident that I might be off the scrap heap soon ;)

Well, that's great to hear. I'm wary of talking too much about injuries partly because of the boards ban but also because of the reasons for the boards ban. I don't know you and your strengths and weaknesses. I'm glad that your physio has said what he has said about your IT band because everything I have read about IT band syndrome says that it's a symptom and not a cause and that treating it is a waste of time with the only potential benefit being a reduced perception of pain caused by the high levels of pain induced by foam rolling it! I think that the 30 day challenge is something that can help with movement which can have an impact on ITB. I also think that strength training can help.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So are many doing the jingle bells 5K on Saturday? I'll be heading to Ryans afterwards if anyone is around for a few drinks.

Not sure what to expect from this race. My PB is 23:46 so I'd like to beat that if possible. When I was doing my marathon training I was treating my 10K pace as 7:30 and 5K pace as slightly faster than that.

I'm not sure if it would be madness to try and go out at that pace, or go a bit more conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

So are many doing the jingle bells 5K on Saturday? I'll be heading to Ryans afterwards if anyone is around for a few drinks.

Not sure what to expect from this race. My PB is 23:46 so I'd like to beat that if possible. When I was doing my marathon training I was treating my 10K pace as 7:30 and 5K pace as slightly faster than that.

I'm not sure if it would be madness to try and go out at that pace, or go a bit more conservative.

The training you were posting on the Novices thread, you should go sub 22mins at a minimum I'd think (unless you've been on the couch since DCM!)

[if you're wondering how I can make that calculation off the top of my head, I'm not stalking you ;) It's because my 5k PB is about 10secs below yours ... and I remember your progress for DCM as being much better .. and I'm weaker on the shorter distances]

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The training you were posting on the Novices thread, you should go sub 22mins at a minimum I'd think (unless you've been on the couch since DCM!)

Well, it's actualy worse than that, I was away on holidays for the best part of 3 weeks, and no running done in the 4 weeks after DCM but doing a bit last week and this week. 22mins would be great, I reckon I'll set out at 7:20 pace and see how things go. Could end badly but hey, there's loads of 5K's to be done if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Well, it's actualy worse than that, I was away on holidays for the best part of 3 weeks, and no running done in the 4 weeks after DCM but doing a bit last week and this week. 22mins would be great, I reckon I'll set out at 7:20 pace and see how things go. Could end badly but hey, there's loads of 5K's to be done if needed.

"The rest is also important" :)

Probably no harm to start on the conservative side I guess, the typical problem is the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

yep, really hoping for a pb, bang on 25 mins and I'd be over the moon, i'll aim for it anyway! did 16:16 in last nights 2 miles (v 16.52 last week) but am fairly sure I left at least part of a lung on the track so Saturday might be 'challenging' :-)

My Week so far has been

Monday: 6 or so miles with 8 20 second strides towards the end of the run
    Tuesday: 5*2mins @ 5K Pace with 2 mile Warmup and 2 mile Cool down
    Wednesday: 60 mins easy running.

Planning the jungle bells 5K on Saturday. Any thoughts on how best to utilize Thursday and Friday?

Thinking maybe 45 mins easy tomorrow and maybe 3 or so miles on Saturday morning. Maybe some strides tomorrow 2.

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Only tangentially a running question but I started a log on this forum and I was thinking of cross posting some of the posts I made in this thread and the DCM14 novices thread. Just to keep them in one place like. Etiquette wise is this a bad idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

ciaranmac wrote: »
    Only tangentially a running question but I started a log on this forum and I was thinking of cross posting some of the posts I made in this thread and the DCM14 novices thread. Just to keep them in one place like. Etiquette wise is this a bad idea?

Not sure about etiquette but I've seen inclusions like that, usually links. Personally, I wouldn't mind. Following btw, get logging :-)

• Advertisement

Planning the jungle bells 5K on Saturday. Any thoughts on how best to utilize Thursday and Friday?

Thinking maybe 45 mins easy tomorrow and maybe 3 or so miles on Saturday morning. Maybe some strides tomorrow 2.

What do you think?

Will you be wearing a Santa hat with your loincloth...or maybe trim the loin cloth with white fur?! See you there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ok so after yet another bad running week at least I'm finally up-to-date with this thread anyway.
    Feeling like a Graduate failure at the minute reading all the updates. I'll be honest I'm only up-to-date as wondering who was running and who was drinking this weekend, worst runner ever!
    I am still doing taper in reverse and not into a decent running schedule at all. Too many holidays and socializing. One 5m this week so far so hope to improve this over the weekend. Last week again only one 4m for the whole week, shocking. Weight is scarily high at the minute so have to focus on diet and more exercise. I'm actually fine when I run and have no issues and pace is fine so just need to give myself a decent kick.
    Who then did Clontarf at the weekend and how was it? Am told it was a great day, even if the 5m was too long but you'd good weather.
    My lovely physio told me that IT band doesn't stretch and pain was coming from tight glutes so sit on a tennis ball and ease out ass! This was also causing me back pain.

ciaranmac wrote: »

If you're just repeating a question that you asked on the DCM novices thread then I'm absolutely fine with it. More of an issue when you cross post in multiple threads/fora at the same time.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Will you be wearing a Santa hat with your loincloth...or maybe trim the loin cloth with white fur?! See you there :)

Ha ha, not sure I'll have the fancy dress sorted for this one I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Clearlier wrote: »
    If you're just repeating a question that you asked on the DCM novices thread then I'm absolutely fine with it. More of an issue when you cross post in multiple threads/fora at the same time.

I was thinking of two or three race reports that I'd posted elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Tough week, had a long weekend travelling and didn't get out at all on Monday.

Did the 20 mins w 20 mins @ Tempo last night. Really struggled; plan was do 30 min warm up, go for 20 then warm down for 10. I was going to do it based on HR, with a target HR of ~165-170. At 25 mins I hit the bottom of a hill on my route so I decided to start the tempo early, given heart rate was gonna start rising anyway! Did that; tough going at times, my body was struggling at Tempo. Did the 20 mins, hit the average heart rate target with an average pace of pretty much 4min/km. 15minute warm down.

Enjoyed it (sorta) but a tough session.

Still on target for 1000 miles in 2014 too. Need to do 5km a day this month to do it!

just looked at my annual mileage there, I'm just over 600 so a lot more than 5K a day to get to Crisco's level :-D (although I have run without my watch on a fair few occasions...)

am not getting in as much running as I'd planned, had a crazy busy weekend last weekend so no long runs. Woke up on yesterday after Tuesdays 2 mile race and couldn't put my left foot on the ground, am so pissed off, I'd finally resolved the issue I had been having only to develop a new one now! I've iced it and done stretches etc and it is feeling a little better today, am I just not cut out for speed training?? I'm obviously doing something very wrong, is it not enough slow runs V the speed sessions? I feel I'll probably have to bench myself until the new year which is so frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Just checked my milage (or is it kilometerage?) for the year and I'm at 999.29 km! At least I'll hit the 1000 km mark.
    I did my long hill run today. It wasn't a very steep hill but I though I'd start off easy. I noticed the back of my knee was a bit sore when i was sprinting and I can still feel it a bit now. I think I might be lengthening my stride too much when I'm running fast.

Good luck to everyone doing the Jingle bells tomorrow.

Firedance wrote: »
    just looked at my annual mileage there, I'm just over 600 so a lot more than 5K a day to get to Crisco's level :-D (although I have run without my watch on a fair few occasions...)

am not getting in as much running as I'd planned, had a crazy busy weekend last weekend so no long runs. Woke up on yesterday after Tuesdays 2 mile race and couldn't put my left foot on the ground, am so pissed off, I'd finally resolved the issue I had been having only to develop a new one now! I've iced it and done stretches etc and it is feeling a little better today, am I just not cut out for speed training?? I'm obviously doing something very wrong, is it not enough slow runs V the speed sessions? I feel I'll probably have to bench myself until the new year which is so frustrating
    So frustrating...wishing you a super speedy and complete recovery!

crisco10 wrote: »
    Tough week, had a long weekend travelling and didn't get out at all on Monday.

Did the 20 mins w 20 mins @ Tempo .....o. Did the 20 mins, hit the average heart rate target with an average pace of pretty much 4min/km. !

So you did 5k in training in 20 mins??!! Flying!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Good luck to anyone doing Jingle Bells in the morning!
    There's a Boardsie meet up in Ryan's pub afterwards. Details here.
    Have a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    So you did 5k in training in 20 mins??!! Flying!

Not quite...lol. average pace was 4:04 or something so hadn't hit the 5km mark at 20 minutes. It does give me hope of breaking my 19:3x pb.

crisco10 wrote: »
    Not quite...lol. average pace was 4:04 or something so hadn't hit the 5km mark at 20 minutes. It does give me hope of breaking my 19:3x pb.
    Still cruising at a nice altitude ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Hope jingle bells went well for anyone out there this morning. Couldn't make it in the end as something came up last minute this week. Looking forward to hearing some of the reports, even if I will be a bit jealous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Knocked that one out of the park so ya did. Nicely done sir!

21:07. Happy with that. Previous pb was 23:46

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Well done Adrian, that's some run.

I had a massive sleep which is very unlike me.

Started my Sat morning with a weigh-in, went very badly. Current weight is 9stone7lbs so noting this for motivation. Heaviest I've been in years. BMI ridiculous. As a result went for a run, aim was see how 3 went, then 5 and finished with 7 so really happy. Going to start tracking runs and food intake (it's ok it won't be here).

Distance: 7.00 mi
    Time: 1:00:19
    Avg Pace: 8:37 min/mi

On the run calves got tight on last mile and noticed back was weak as core must be with weight and lack of exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Jingle bells, Jingle bells, PB's all the way... oh what fun it was to run in the Phoenix Park today

Sorry, can't get that out of my head and annoying everyone by singing it loudly and out of tune.

Did Jingle bells in 24:51... a full minute off my 5k pb (from sept)... and one target for 2015 achieved... DELIGHTED with that... love that downhill finish :)

Didn't see anyone there and had to come straight home to kids unfortunately... and in other good news Murph had a great PB in the Waterford Half today, so we are both feeling very pleased with ourselves!

Great running, Adrian! It was bloody cold and windy out there but very enjoyable race. And unlike last year, nobody passed me at the end wearing a christmas jumper :)

annapr wrote: »
    Jingle bells, Jingle bells, PB's all the way... oh what fun it was to run in the Phoenix Park today

Sorry, can't get that out of my head and annoying everyone by singing it loudly and out of tune.

Did Jingle bells in 24:51... a full minute off my 5k pb (from sept)... and one target for 2015 achieved... DELIGHTED with that... love that downhill finish :)

Didn't see anyone there and had to come straight home to kids unfortunately... and in other good news Murph had a great PB in the Waterford Half today, so we are both feeling very pleased with ourselves!

Great running, Adrian! It was bloody cold and windy out there but very enjoyable race. And unlike last year, nobody passed me at the end wearing a christmas jumper :)

Sing it girl! That's fantastic well done :-) its exhilarating and it was a particularly nice route. I ran too despite my dodgy foot (which felt ok this morn!) and also got a pb but not the one I wanted. Still, ill take it & keep working harder!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Firedance wrote: »
    Sing it girl! That's fantastic well done :-) its exhilarating and it was a particularly nice route. I ran too despite my dodgy foot (which felt ok this morn!) and also got a pb but not the one I wanted. Still, ill take it & keep working harder!

Good for you, Firedance, especially with the foot... I hope it held up ok!

Advertisement