Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 5S - Screen Popping

• 08-11-2014 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭

I purchased an iPhone 5S last December without any additional applecare or anything that as it wasn't direct from apple.

I've dropped it the odd time and it has a few hairline scratches as well as a chip or two around the sides, nothing major.

Recently I've noticed that the upper right corner of the screen makes a popping sound when pushed and it appears to be bulging out a little bit.

It looks very similar to these pics:

6di5.jpg

3o1q.jpg

So basically I'm wondering where do I stand on this?

I have a feeling that it's going to get worse, would I be entitled to a repair/replacement? Or would apple say it happened as a result of dropping it?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Post pics of it. The fact that it's cracked will more than likely void the warranty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

guil wrote: »
    Post pics of it. The fact that it's cracked will more than likely void the warranty

I'll get pics up later, there's actually no cracks on it just hairline scratches that you could barely see, only when the light hits it at the right angle. As for the chipped corner, it looks fairly similar to this:

iphone_5_dents_hero.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I had the exact same problem with my 5S. It was 7 months old so I took it to the apple shop in Belfast and they replaced it there and then. That was last June, the exact same thing is now happening to the replacement phone. I'm heading to Belfast in two weeks and will be booking into the Genius Bar to get another...hopefully.

It's a very very common problem with the 5S.

I had the exact same problem with my 5S. It was 7 months old so I took it to the apple shop in Belfast and they replaced it there and then. That was last June, the exact same thing is now happening to the replacement phone. I'm heading to Belfast in two weeks and will be booking into the Genius Bar to get another...hopefully.

It's a very very common problem with the 5S.

That's reassuring,

I know it's more than likely nothing to do with the fact that it has been dropped because it hasn't slipped in a few months, this issue seems to be fairly recent.

I might venture up myself and see what they say.

Thanks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Exact same thing happened to my 5S.
    Sent to Apple for repair got a replacement.
    Excellent service just contact their support.
    Took about 10 days all told

• Advertisement

Exact same thing happened to my 5S.
    Sent to Apple for repair got a replacement.
    Excellent service just contact their support.
    Took about 10 days all told

Would it matter that I didn't buy it direct from Apple.ie?

Shouldn't do, I bought mine in the carphone warehouse

Shouldn't do, I bought mine in the carphone warehouse

Ah okay, did they ask for receipt or anything?

Oh and did you have apple care or just the usual warranty?

Just had the usual warranty, didn't ask for a receipt

Wow that was my first time using Apple support and I'm amazed! It was actually an enjoyable experience organsing a replacement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Same thing here! Bought in an upgrade last Dec.The screen just popped up about a month ago. Sent it back to Apple in Dublin and got a new phone(insurance).
    Only gripe is,was waiting 19 days for replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

invicta wrote: »
    Same thing here! Bought in an upgrade last Dec.The screen just popped up about a month ago. Sent it back to Apple in Dublin and got a new phone(insurance).
    Only gripe is,was waiting 19 days for replacement.

Should of sent it to Apple. 7 day turnaround from the day ups collect it.

Advertisement