Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future proofing house refurb for Comms

Options
  • 08-11-2014 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi

Just about to start a major house refurbishment. I have allowance for cat5 cabelling throughout the house. Also, Architect has specified builder to install new ducting from boundary wall to the house

My question is what cables should we run thru the ducts. How will ESB/Vodafone deliver their new offering. Do I need to contact Eircom. If I decide to go with UPC in 6 months can I make provision now.

Basically I don't know what to allow for, but I want to give myself as many options as possible and be ready for fibre to the home rollout

Any advise would be appreciate

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Install a good pull cord / rope / wire and you cant go wrong in the future. Whoever comes along can then get their cabling into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Consider going to cat6 to future proof for speeds up to 10Gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

cargo wrote: »
    Install a good pull cord / rope / wire and you cant go wrong in the future. Whoever comes along can then get their cabling into the house.

This.

1. Put a switch in a convenient location and run CAT6 out to all/some rooms. Ensure to include runs to where eircoms MDP is/will be and where the ESB are likely to drop their fibre in(the existing external box on the outside of the premises, if you have one). For now use GigE equipment and you can swap everything out for 10Gig in a few years when its cheap.

2. Run a nice duct up to the premises with access at each end and put a handful of ropes/cords down it and secured at each end. That way when anyone comes to install anything it'll be childs play.

Advertisement