Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardener dies from handling monkshood

• 09-11-2014 7:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-29949698
    A gardener died after apparently handling a deadly plant on an estate in Hampshire, a coroner has heard.

Nathan Greenway's legal team believe he had touched the poisonous wild plant Aconitum napellus, also known as Monkshood, at Mill Court House, Alton.

The 33-year-old, from Aldershot, died in hospital five days later on 7 September from multiple organ failure.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

What an awful thing to happen. (and unusual, thank goodness)

I wonder if he was really a gardener by trade?

If he had studied his plants, he might have known, Monkshood is very poisonous, all parts of the plant.

Even if you dig it up to discard it, handle the roots with gloves on.

The shape of the flower is very handsome (in cultivated forms) but the colour is usually a very sombre dark blue.
    I think it might be worth having in a garden, but not one that is used by children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Sounds like the usual balls you get about poisonous plants in the press every so often.

Yes Monkshood is poisonous but not just from touching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There is another thread about this. It is quite possible that he could have had a particular sensitivity to the plant. Most people eat peanuts no problem, occasionally people die from even being near them.

Advertisement