Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Maths Question

• 09-11-2014 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi. I am sitting my leaving cert in 2016 and I am currently studying honours maths at the moment . I got an A in honours maths in the Junior Cert without too much work as I did not find Junior Cert maths too difficult. However I have heard that the jump from Junior to Leaving cert honours maths is big and I am unsure whether I would be able to get a good enough result for the amount of time I would have to put in. Are the 25 extra points worth the extra time I would have to devote to maths and is it difficult to get a B or C? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I am aiming for around 540 points in my Leaving Cert. Thank you .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Hi. I am sitting my leaving cert in 2016 and I am currently studying honours maths at the moment . I got an A in honours maths in the Junior Cert without too much work as I did not find Junior Cert maths too difficult. However I have heard that the jump from Junior to Leaving cert honours maths is big and I am unsure whether I would be able to get a good enough result for the amount of time I would have to put in. Are the 25 extra points worth the extra time I would have to devote to maths and is it difficult to get a B or C? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I am aiming for around 540 points in my Leaving Cert. Thank you .

I assume you mean you are sitting the leaving cert in June 2016, meaning you are in 5th year at the moment? Surely then you are already in an honours/ordinary level maths class. My advice is stick with honours. You can always drop down if the going gets too tough but you can't go up if you think you should have done honours. You say you got an A in JC honours, then you obviously have a decent ability with maths. Yes there is a jump between JC and lc but it's not huge, obviously leaving cert will be more difficult. Either way you don't sound thrilled on putting in a huge amount of work in the subject, and just because you're decent at maths doesn't guarantee you an A1 at ordinary level but with a small bit of work a B or C at higher is probably very doable for you.
    I don't know either if you know for certain what you want to do in college, but just make sure Hl maths isn't a requirement as it is for engineering courses, some business-y type courses and many others.
    As I said, if you decide by the end of 5th year or at any other stage the workload is too much or you feel you run the risk of failing,then drop to ordinary level.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

If you're in 5th year surely you'll have started the HL course, what do you think of it so far? If you got an A in JC without much difficulty then I'm sure you're well able to do the honours paper for the Leaving Cert, you will need to put in a bit of work though.

Stick with it for now and suss out your position this time next year - I would say the 25 points are definitely worth it as they grade the paper a lot nicer than you'd think, but I would definitely recommend taking one OL subject if you're aiming for high points so you can ease the pressure a bit. See how you get on with honours in 5th year definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Leavingcert321

Thank you both for replying. Yes I agree that I should keep with the honours maths for a while and see how I go. Thanks again for your help. :)

Advertisement