Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Delicate toilet topic

• 09-11-2014 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

Myself any my husband live in a rented house that was newly refurbished prior to moving in. The house has three toilets: a downstairs WC, a main bathroom and an ensuite. All three toilets were newly installed when the house was refurbished and have the two button flushers. All three toilets clear 'number ones', toilet paper and 'lady-sized number 2s' without difficulty. However, they don't seem to be able to clear a 'gentleman-sized number 2' in one flush. In fact said material can linger for days as we visit daily giving it another flush hoping it will clear. As a result we permanently have at least one toilet temporarily out of commission until its bowl is clear again.
    I have been renting for years in various different properties and have never experienced this problem with older style toilets and flushers.
    Is this a problem with the configuration of the newer style toilets? Either they are configured with smaller outlet pipes?? Or because of a smaller volume of water in the flush??

We have recently bought our first house and it hasn't been refurbished since the 1970s. It has a main bathroom and a downstairs WC. Both are equipped with 1970's blue bathroom suites. We are now planning the refurbishment of this house. Originally, I was thinking we would rip out the old 1970s toilets but now I am doubting myself as the new toilets seem to not to be fit for purpose.
    Can anyone recommend which new toilets have the best flush?

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

keep the old toilets and have them reglazed, they'll look like new and be able to handle the results of 3 cups of strong coffee and a massive bowl of weetabix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

ThisIsLife wrote: »
    Hi,

Myself any my husband live in a rented house that was newly refurbished prior to moving in. The house has three toilets: a downstairs WC, a main bathroom and an ensuite. All three toilets were newly installed when the house was refurbished and have the two button flushers. All three toilets clear 'number ones', toilet paper and 'lady-sized number 2s' without difficulty. However, they don't seem to be able to clear a 'gentleman-sized number 2' in one flush. In fact said material can linger for days as we visit daily giving it another flush hoping it will clear. As a result we permanently have at least one toilet temporarily out of commission until its bowl is clear again.
    I have been renting for years in various different properties and have never experienced this problem with older style toilets and flushers.
    Is this a problem with the configuration of the newer style toilets? Either they are configured with smaller outlet pipes?? Or because of a smaller volume of water in the flush??

We have recently bought our first house and it hasn't been refurbished since the 1970s. It has a main bathroom and a downstairs WC. Both are equipped with 1970's blue bathroom suites. We are now planning the refurbishment of this house. Originally, I was thinking we would rip out the old 1970s toilets but now I am doubting myself as the new toilets seem to not to be fit for purpose.
    Can anyone recommend which new toilets have the best flush?

Thank you for your help.

The toilets are dual flush
    has the toilet got 1 or 2 buttons on it.
    If 1 when flushing hold down until flush has stopped that will give a full flush and should clear things
    If 2 button one is for half flush and the other for full

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ThisIsLife

Hi Porsche Boy,

Thanks for that tip on reglazing the toilets. I wasn't aware that was possible. Will look into that now.
    Thanks also for the laugh! :)

Hi Robbie.G,

The toilet buttons have a circle on them and inside the circle is a small crescent-shaped 'button'.
    Having just inspected them all more closely, I don't think it is possible to push the small crescent shaped part independently of the larger circle. So it may be that there is one flushing option only. When I press the buttons, I usually hold and count to 5 to encourage it to stay going for as long as possible. Not sure if this is the correct technique.
    The more environmentally friendly we get, the more compromise there seems to be on functionality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

ThisIsLife wrote: »
    Hi Robbie.G,

The toilet buttons have a circle on them and inside the circle is a small crescent-shaped 'button'.
    Having just inspected them all more closely, I don't think it is possible to push the small crescent shaped part independently of the larger circle. So it may be that there is one flushing option only. When I press the buttons, I usually hold and count to 5 to encourage it to stay going for as long as possible. Not sure if this is the correct technique.
    The more environmentally friendly we get, the more compromise there seems to be on functionality!

Press both together or just the outer large button.

• Advertisement

I have been researching online and in America and Canada, they have an independent testing system for measuring the amount of material a toilet can clear in one flush. It is called the MaP (Maximum Performance) rating. 350g is considered the minimum standard and 1000g is the maximum amount they test to.
    Does anyone know is this rating system used by toilet manufacturers/ suppliers in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

You may have an issue with the outlet connection on the back of the pan, do you have a picture, preferably after the flush worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Stop feeding him.
    Sorted.
    Obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

scudo2 wrote: »
    Stop feeding him.
    Sorted.
    Obvious.

scudo to the rescue again :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

dont have a dual flush here but large old cistern it could not cope with 3 full flushes but a bucket of water on top of flush gets rid of it,so if needed an extra bucket of water in emergencies then you have a working loo again.simple.

• Advertisement
Advertisement