Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 Kids Places to Visit

Options
  • 09-11-2014 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hey, just wanted a quick run down of your top 5 places to visit with kids (4-10yrs) in Greystones and surrounding areas?

My top 5-

1. Shoreline (Swimming)
    2. Playgrounds (South Beach, Shoreline J.Skelly, Charlesland, Bray Beachfront)
    3. Bray Harbour (Feeding Ducks, Swans)
    4. Gardenworld Kilquade (Gardens, Cafe)
    5. Ginos, Gelateria (Ice Cream, Bray)

Nice one.
    -MJM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

My little ones constantly badger me about going to Glenroe farm. It has a nice playground area and lots of tame animals to pet and coo over. A small coffee shop and picnic tables. usually does something for Christmas too, they had reindeers, A pretty neat Santa's grotto and comedy/magic show for kids. You do need fairly decent weather though.

It does work out fairly pricey once you factor in 2 adults into the admission.

http://www.glenroefarm.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Kindlestown woods is great for an 'adventure'. The only problem is that it seems to be a free for all for dog owners to allow their dogs poo everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Great playgrounds in Cabinteely & Shanganagh Parks (I've heard good things about the new playground in Ashford as well).
    Walk in the woods (Kindlestown, Devils Glen, Knocksink near Enniskerry are all good)
    Other walks: Cliff Walk; across the top of Bray Head from Windgates; Kilcoole Mass Path; Glendalough.
    Younger kids love Zoom (not free though).

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Bring them bowling in Bray and get a pizza ordered directly to lane.

More for the ones closer to 10, than 4 - bring them on an adventure hike up Bray head.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

I second the playground at Cabinteely. http://dublinfox.com/show/playgrounds/Cabinteely%20Park.html
    It is extensive and has something for all ages. Great to teach your children to climb up the spider web and use the zip wire. Being able to do things like that gives them great confidence. Same with feeding the swans. A child who is confident enough to do that can face a lot of what life throws at them. Both are free which is always a bonus.

The playground at Powerscourt Waterfall is good too. http://www.tripadvisor.ie/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g212535-d209830-i42087943-Powerscourt_Waterfall-Enniskerry_County_Wicklow.html There is an entry fee to the demense where it is.
    We used dress appropriately on overcast showery days and head up to Powercourt
    when there used be no queues for the sand digger. Reviving coffee to be had there too.

Clara Lara during the Summer is great ... though from seven up perhaps.http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g186605-d1567700-Reviews-Clara_Lara_Fun_Park-Dublin_County_Dublin.html

Killruddery is great value: May to September open from 9.30 until 6. Children under 12 are free with a paying adult (6.50). You can spend a fine day at the sandpit with a picnic.

Both Powercourt and Killruddery have yearly memberships. Back in the day we had a Powerscourt one. Now we have one for Killruddery (70 euro). We are up there so often with relatives and friends, it is great value: Three adults and the ticket holder plus I think 2 children per adult. Great fun this summer at no extra cost the Teddy Bears' Picnic, Fairytale Day and The Last of the Summer Fling. About once a month there is a display of falcons, hawks and owls. Scroll down this link to get a taste: http://www.killruddery.com/past-events-at-killruddery/

Squirrel Scramble in the woods at Killruddery is also great fun: zip lines and the likehttp://www.bray.ie/squirrels-scramble/ They say it is from five up.

We're blessed, living in a lovely area, to bring up children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭raler

My 4 year old and 2 year old daughters fared pretty well up Bray Head a couple of weeks back, on what turned out to be one of the worst days of weather we'd had in a while. You never know until you try..

Avondale Estate nearby Rathdrum is another one to consider for kids. Play park, picnic areas, open space, river walks, and cafe. And plenty of the nature

raler wrote: »

Avondale Estate nearby Rathdrum is another one to consider for kids. Play park, picnic areas, open space, river walks, and cafe. And plenty of the nature

yeah, Avondale is great, and unlike Powerscourt & Kilruddery, free.

Also free is the Kilmacurragh Aboretum which is here

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mjmorrisroe

Fantastic, thanks a million for all the great suggestions, I'll definitely visit the Cabinteely playground as we pass there quite a bit... I just learned of another great place in Sandyford called Imaginosity - My daughter had a great time there on a recent school trip.

All the other suggestions sound great too, keep 'em coming.....

-MJM

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

loyatemu wrote: »
    yeah, Avondale is great, and unlike Powerscourt & Kilruddery, free.

Also free is the Kilmacurragh Aboretum which is here

I second kilmacurragh. Great place for a picnic on a sunny day

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭raler

Actually Avondale estate is 5 Euros for a car, it being an OPW site. There's a coin machine with barrier so bring change. A bit like Donadea near Cellbridge

• Advertisement

Fantastic, thanks a million for all the great suggestions, I'll definitely visit the Cabinteely playground as we pass there quite a bit... I just learned of another great place in Sandyford called Imaginosity - My daughter had a great time there on a recent school trip.

All the other suggestions sound great too, keep 'em coming.....

-MJM

Imaginosity is apparently great but its expensive and (this really annoys me) they charge admission for the adults as well.

Advertisement