Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress Sites & SEO

• 09-11-2014 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if you have any general views on how wordpress sites work in terms of SEO on the architecture level?

I'm wondering because at least with a bespoke website, you have some oversight in terms of what is under the bonnet so to speak. With the Wordpress templates I just wouldn't have a clue.

Any thoughts much appreciated! I've never had to consider using Wordpress before...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭daymobrew

There are plugins that allow you to control the keywords and description on a per page basis. You have a ton of control.

How it works under the hood doesn't really matter, does it? Search engines see the html/css/js code you generate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

According to Matt Cutts, of Google, WordPress is a "fantastic choice" and "solves some 80-90% of mechanics of SEO "

http://howtomakemyblog.com/googles-matt-cutts-wordpress-the-best-blogging-platform-for-seo/

That's just a general opinion, it doesn't necessarily refer to architecture. But as Daymobrew said, the architecture isn't that important (it may affect one or two ranking signals, such as site speed, out of the 200+ known), it's the output that really matters.

So yeah, it's good for SEO. You can also optimise it further with any of the SEO plugins available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭changepartners

Thanks for that, I'd read similar so it was good to get some opinions too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

Have a look at: https://yoast.com/wordpress/plugins/seo/
    It's one of the more popular SEO plugins (there are several)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭adamrooney

As some people have already mentioned there are several Plugins that can help with basic SEO such as All In One SEO, which is better than Yoast in my opinion. But be careful not to use too many as the eyes of Google will be on you! SEO is now much more than doing some Keywords, Title and Tags on your page. It is about providing the most relevant content to search terms, and linked properly. That is how users and customers should eventually find your site, by always trying to provide them the best most relevant content. So what you talked about in your OP "what is under the bonnet so to speak" is not so important as it used to be so don't get bogged down in all the mechanics of the website. Concentrate on your delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Aine Philip

Hi, It is best CMS for SEO Purpose. with SEO Plugins like yoast it is more simple to fix onsite issues.

In terms of it structure, just change the permanent links structure to post name type from it default.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 robet001

Mostly onsite seo work completed in wordpress website like speed optimization and a lot of plugin also available to do seo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

daymobrew wrote:
    How it works under the hood doesn't really matter, does it? Search engines see the html/css/js code you generate.

and images...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Blacknight wrote: »
    Have a look at: https://yoast.com/wordpress/plugins/seo/
    It's one of the more popular SEO plugins (there are several)

Ya there's loads but our lecturer has adamantly recommended Yoast for SEO over all other plugins. Only gets good reviews, so I'd say you're spot on with that recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 moon1

Yoast is an excellent SEO plugin to utilize for many reasons. For the best effect and minimum resource usage, please ensure you are using the following settings:
    SEO > Titles & Metas > General > Noindex, follow subpages of archives
    SEO > Titles & Metas > Other > Author Archives > noindex, nofollow
    SEO > Titles & Metas > Other > Author Archives > Disable the author archives
    SEO > Titles & Metas > Other > Date Archives > noindex, follow
    SEO > Titles & Metas > Other > Date Archives > Disable the date-based archives
    SEO > Titles & Metas > Other > Special Pages > Enter special pages if applicable

• Advertisement
Advertisement