Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micro/Miniature junction boxes needed

Options
  • 09-11-2014 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Anybody know where I can get some tiny junction boxes for joining together alarm cable + window sensors?

The sensors are being fitted to box windows which are being filled out with lime plaster. I'm trying to make sure where the cabling gets joined is as unobtrusive as possible.

Even the smallest electrical (3A) junction blocks are too chunky.

I'm looking ideally for something plastic about the size of a €2/£2 coin that I can snap over/cover the wires with and then maybe paint up to match the plaster.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is this what you are looking for or smaller?

1865.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

A good bit smaller ideally. There's only 2 connections needed so imagine lopping two of those connectors off and that's closer to what I'd like to source.

I've even considered trying to buy a rake of those travel toothbrush covers :)

It's really just to cover the joins of the window contact to the alarm cable. The contacts I've sourced have trailing ends with the contact connections moulded inside the units to save space.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Thanatosgratus

Would two/three wire jelly crimps work?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Would two/three wire jelly crimps work?

Or do the join is a surface contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

KerranJast wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anybody know where I can get some tiny junction boxes for joining together alarm cable + window sensors?

The sensors are being fitted to box windows which are being filled out with lime plaster. I'm trying to make sure where the cabling gets joined is as unobtrusive as possible.

Even the smallest electrical (3A) junction blocks are too chunky.

I'm looking ideally for something plastic about the size of a €2/£2 coin that I can snap over/cover the wires with and then maybe paint up to match the plaster.

Thanks.

If you are planing to bury in the wall then soldiering the cable joins is what I would recommend. Also any spare cores not used should be done as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

KerranJast wrote: »
    A good bit smaller ideally. There's only 2 connections needed so imagine lopping two of those connectors off and that's closer to what I'd like to source.

I've even considered trying to buy a rake of those travel toothbrush covers :)

It's really just to cover the joins of the window contact to the alarm cable. The contacts I've sourced have trailing ends with the contact connections moulded inside the units to save space.

Have you considered soldering the cables together with heat shrink, done right it can be a decent job.

OP
    Can you post up a picture of the cables you want to join?
    It might help us give you some better options.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

Have you considered soldering the cables together with heat shrink, done right it can be a decent job.

That would be the neatest job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Sorry folks. Mad busy week. I'll try and get some pictures. I think those jelly crimps will do the job. I don't like permanently soldering and hiding them behind the plaster in case one of them goes faulty over the years.

Advertisement