Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any Adult beginner Surfing clubs around Sligo?

Options
  • 09-11-2014 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about taken up surfing but dont know what surfing club would be best for me because there are quite a lot that take on only youngsters. Have surfed a few times but need to be taught with a good instructor and also to make new friends that are my age group (I'm 20). So please give me the best surfing clubs that u can think of for adults!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Go out to Strandhill and check out the Surfing stores out there. I'm sure you'll be able to find someone who can teach you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

I could be wrong, but believe the only surfing club in Sligo is the Sligo Surf Club which operates out of the maritime centre in strandhill which is where the seaweed baths are. there is one in the IT for students only I would have thought. Members of the surf club are allowed to use to the club space in the centre for showering, changing and storing boards. I was a member of it for a while, to be honest I let my membership slip as I didn't see much point to it. You can pick from must be about five surf schools if you want to learn to surf, these are all commercial enterprises and not clubs.

Surfing isn't a typical sport, the vast majority of surfers don't compete in competitions and it's not a team sport so being in a club isn't something most people would be interested in to be quite honest.

There is a surf lifesaving club which is growing quickly at rosses point in the summer months, kids and adults using paddle boards, surf skis, simulated rescues etc which is all ran on a voluntary bases. they welcome new members but it's not what you're after really.

best thing to do if I was you would be to drag a few mates along to some lessons with you and try to get them into it as well and you have some ready made surf buddies and you will get to know more along the way as well.

take proper lessons and take time to learn the rules and etiquette of surfing, the safety stuff is straight forward and will be covered by any decent surf instructor. i'd recommend perfect day for lessons. I know tom he's a sound skin and is a real surfer as well as having the school.

Advertisement