Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota levin

• 09-11-2014 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi i recently bought a toyota levin, its seems to be in good shape except for the few rattles and the rock hard coilovers.
    Theres a kind of clinking noise coming from what seems to be front right and theres a bit of grease coming out by drive shaft just womdering is this a serious problem??expensive??
    Also theres alot of banging obviously with hard coilovers but i was thinking there might be a few bushings gone aswel which is making the banging worse. Is there anyway of softening these coilovers or sorting the banging ??
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭statto25

aidan.c25 wrote: »
    Hi i recently bought a toyota levin, its seems to be in good shape except for the few rattles and the rock hard coilovers.
    Theres a kind of clinking noise coming from what seems to be front right and theres a bit of grease coming out by drive shaft just womdering is this a serious problem??expensive??
    Also theres alot of banging obviously with hard coilovers but i was thinking there might be a few bushings gone aswel which is making the banging worse. Is there anyway of softening these coilovers or sorting the banging ??
    Thanks.

Has it superstrut suspension?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aidan.c25

nope that was taken out
    just corolla standard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

If its got coilovers there should be damper adjusters on top of em, have a fiddle with them (turn them all the way to the left first) and see how you go, the fronts will be dead easy to get at, the rear top mounts are right in the back parcel shelf though so youll have to move a few things to get at them. That is of course unless the dampers themselves are gone.

For the banging & rattling, firstly I'd check the drop links (anti roll bar links) pull at them with a bit of a bar and if there's any play or movement, replace them, std e10 corolla ones will fit. Very cheap too.

Re: Grease on the shaft, check the cv boots, the clip might be absent/loose or the boot itself may be damaged, if its clicking on full lock at low speed, you may have to replace the cv joint itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

You shouldn't have knocking just because you have coilovers. The coilovers are just highlighting a weak point somewhere else. Check balljoints, bushings etc.

Check up at the top mounts to see if they are adjustable (dampening wise). Most adjustable ones have a knob you can turn there to adjust the dampening

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aidan.c25

Ino I'm opening another can of worms but was messing about with car and noticed about 6 earthing wires coming from negative battery lug and attached to different part of engine and engine bay... Any idea what they might be for :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

That'll just be an earthing kit I'd imagine, kinda like this?

Toyota-Levin-BZ-R-eng-690x459.jpg

Not really sure of the benefits (if any) coming from fitting these wires, but some people claim better throttle response among other things.. not so sure, but it won't be doing any harm in there, besides adding a few grams of weight maybe..

Advertisement