Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waiting time for OAPs free travel smart card

• 09-11-2014 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭

My father turned 66 in July and received a free travel pass then. He had a photo taken in August in the Dublin Bus office on O'Connell Street for the new replacement smart pass, however he has not received it as of yet. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to be send out. He would find it a lot handier to use then the other pass as its like an id card and can fit easily in his wallet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

billyhead wrote: »
    My father turned 66 in July and received a free travel pass then. He had a photo taken in August in the Dublin Bus office on O'Connell Street for the new replacement smart pass, however he has not received it as of yet. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to be send out. He would find it a lot handier to use then the other pass as its like an id card and can fit easily in his wallet

I'm open to correction on this,but the Dublin Bus photo ID will NOT suffice for the new DSP Smartcard.

As I understand it,the DSP will contact the individual with an appoitment at a designated DSP office for the secure photo to be processed .

Perhaps worth a phone call to the DSP-1890 500 500.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks I will give them a call tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

He will be sent a form from offices of welfare/card section.

No worry as he will be fine with old style untill it comes when they are no longer valid but that is a long way away yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

He will be sent a form from offices of welfare/card section.

No worry as he will be fine with old style untill it comes when they are no longer valid but that is a long way away yet.

Thanks Punisher but my Dad said he got the photo taken already in August in the Dublin bus offices on O'Connell street for the new smart card but has not heard anything since and he would prefer the smart pass like leap card as its easier to store in his wallet. I wonder if they are just taking the photos etc but not rolling them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

If I'm correct the cards are issued by social welfare most of people I know got after receiving a letter asking them to attend a sw meeting to have there pictures taken for the new card .
    Unless it's changed

• Advertisement

He would have got photo taken for old style paper pass as that is still valid.

He will eventually recieve a a letter asking to forward details for new card as they as far as I am aware able to use photo that he has taken recently as he would have had to prove he was him.

People who have had passes years will have to have a new photo taken with sw as there is a huge amount of fraud going on.

He does not need to be worrying calling them or that he is fine.

He would have got photo taken for old style paper pass as that is still valid.

He will eventually recieve a a letter asking to forward details for new card as they as far as I am aware able to use photo that he has taken recently as he would have had to prove he was him.

People who have had passes years will have to have a new photo taken with sw as there is a huge amount of fraud going on.

He does not need to be worrying calling them or that he is fine.

The issue,as far as I know,revolves around the Photo. If you have had a recent photo for the Biometric Passport,then you can allow the DSP to use that one for the DSP card.

However,if you have not had a biometric photo taken then you will be given an appointment for one.

The New ID requirements for the DSP card are WAY beyond what we have become used to,as they feature several security protocols which will not alone end the misuse of FTP's but also make sure only benefit recipients collect payments relevant to them.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The issue,as far as I know,revolves around the Photo. If you have had a recent photo for the Biometric Passport,then you can allow the DSP to use that one for the DSP card.

You don't provide a photo for the DSP card as you do for a passport, the official takes your photo when you visit them with a heap of identification documents.

My dad had only turned 65 last year and got the paper style pass he got the I.D. photo done and card for old style.

He got letter from sw and sent back to them with all the details so it seems if recent photo was taken in DB and all details were checked this seems to be enough as he was sent out new card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

He got letter from sw and sent back to them with all the details so it seems if recent photo was taken in DB and all details were checked this seems to be enough as he was sent out new card.

+1 I just looked at the DSP website and there appears to be a postal registration option as you described above. I was under the impression that you had to make a personal visit to your local office in order to be issued with the new style card....

Some current Department of Social Protection (DSP) clients can be issued with a Public Services Card by postal registration. If this applies to you the DSP may write to you asking your permission to use data that is already held by a government department (such as your passport photograph or Free Travel Pass photograph). If you give your consent to this data being used your Public Services Card can be issued directly by post and you do not need to visit an office to register in person. The letter will also ask you for answers to some security questions. These answers will be used to check your identity if you need to contact a DSP helpline. In some circumstances you may be asked to provide recent passport standard photographs that will be used to produce your Public Services Card.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Public-Services-Card_holder.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Do the new DSP cards work with Dublin Bus scanners?

I see some with them on my route and the owners still flash them to the driver. I thought they'd be loaded with an annual ticket or maybe a ticket that never expires and they have to be validated like any pre pay ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Do the new DSP cards work with Dublin Bus scanners?
    They don't work the ticket validators yet, but that function can be put in place with the flick of a switch.

The scanners used by the ticket inspectors likely can read them.

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 I just looked at the DSP website and there appears to be a postal registration option as you described above. I was under the impression that you had to make a personal visit to your local office in order to be issued with the new style card....

Some current Department of Social Protection (DSP) clients can be issued with a Public Services Card by postal registration. If this applies to you the DSP may write to you asking your permission to use data that is already held by a government department (such as your passport photograph or Free Travel Pass photograph). If you give your consent to this data being used your Public Services Card can be issued directly by post and you do not need to visit an office to register in person. The letter will also ask you for answers to some security questions. These answers will be used to check your identity if you need to contact a DSP helpline. In some circumstances you may be asked to provide recent passport standard photographs that will be used to produce your Public Services Card.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Public-Services-Card_holder.aspx

The "permission to use data" element is what is relevant to the remote issuing of the new FTS Card.

AFAIAA,the FTA Card's photographic requirement is to a standard called "Safe1" which entail a photograph taken on a hi-tech biometric camera,as with the new Card Style driving licence.

The individuals I am aware of,who availed of this facility,had their Passport Photo used on their FTP Card,I suspect the Dublin Bus camera is a traditional digital type,unless the DSP has facilitated it's upgrade,which would actually make sense.

Advertisement