Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop for an 8 yr old.

Options
  • 09-11-2014 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭

Can i have a few opinions please. Is 8 years old to young for a laptop?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Can i have a few opinions please. Is 8 years old too young for a laptop?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭thirteen.

What would an 8 year old do with a laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

thirteen. wrote: »

Play minecraft basicly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You can run Minecraft on a €35 Raspberry Pi. They might even learn something.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

He's 8!! He should be outside playing- not with his head stuck behind a screen!!
    I didn't get a laptop til I was 18!

• Advertisement

SMJSF wrote: »
    He's 8!! He should be outside playing- not with his head stuck behind a screen!!
    I didn't get a laptop til I was 18!

He does rugby gaelic football hurling and swimming and plays outside with his friends. Hes not and won't be on it 24/7.
    But thank you for your opinion.

5uspect wrote: »
    You can run Minecraft on a €35 Raspberry Pi. They might even learn something.

So for just 35 euro i can buy a rasberry pi and it will run minecraft? I don't need anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Can i have a few opinions please. Is 8 years old to young for a laptop?

I would say so. Youtube, social media, even boards.ie is somewhat addictive; no point in exposing an 8 year old to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dimcoin

definantly something cheap. you canget away with getting a laptop running win xp. he wont be able to play man y games but he will get experience navigating the operating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

My son has an old sony vaio. He's nine now but had it since he was 8. He uses it for coder dojo, coding at home, CAD (design) - as well as minecraft, of course :D.

I don't think he's too young, it's a different time now and his ability to code from a young age will be invaluable to him in the future.

He also climbs mountains, plays tennis, swims, bikes etc etc it's all about balance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

So for just 35 euro i can buy a rasberry pi and it will run minecraft? I don't need anything else?

You need a monitor, a lan cable (at first), a usb mouse and a usb keyboard. I'd also recommend getting a case and a wifi enabler. Chargers are bought separately too. We got a whole kit (minus mouse and keyboard) for about 65€ - that was for the latest model. Also, an understanding of linux operating systes and python is useful

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

My lad is 12 now but had a laptop at 8. He has two now, one for school and one for his own use. He codes and plays minecraft. He's fit and healthy - and passionate about coding and learning. I'm all for him having his own laptop. He bought it himself with money he had saved but if he hadn't, I would have been willing to part pay for one for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I wouldn't buy an eight yr old their own laptop. Do you have a family one he could use, it would be easier to control as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Get him a desktop instead.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You need a Raspberry Pi B+, a mouse, keyboard, HDMI cable, TV (or monitor) 5V power supply, an Ethernet cable and a microSD. Mostly things you need for any PC.

Put the latest build of Raspbian onto it and you get Minecraft as an icon on the desktop. If he ****s it up you can simply reflash the SD card or let him learn by ****ing it up some more.

It's designed to teach kids Linux and Python. You can add a camera module to it and build apps. You can program arduino microcontrollers with it.

Oh to be a child again with one of these! We give them to our interns to play with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Back on topic please. The Pi is not for everyone and the question was not pi -vs- desktop -vs- laptop.

/mod

I don't think 8 is too young for a laptop - just too young to have ownership of one. Get a 'family' laptop that he can have access to for Minecraft and other things too. The key thing is to only allow him access in a common area - and make him aware that you will be checking what he's using it for. My own kids have been using computers at home since they were 6 - but always in the full knowledge that I have full access to what they've been using them for - and they know it's for their own safety that I monitor their usage. Now they have phones too and it's a condition that I can look at their phones and see what they have been doing on them. The tool isn't the issue - it's making sure that your child is protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Gordon Minard

I would keep him away for all this techie stuff for as long as you can . . .

He will, no doubt, get loads of access to it very quickly everywhere . . .

Technology usually puts an end to "Quality Time" . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭biketard

We have a Raspberry Pi set up already, but it's not for everyone and really my old Acer Aspire One is a better match for my daughter (8).

Both my son (10) and daughter recently got their own touchpad (both hand-me-downs from the parents) that have educational apps only on them.

I should add that we closely monitor the kids' computer use. They can't just go on them when they want, but have to ask, and time is limited. But that's just our particular situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

I think it's the perfect age to buy a kid a laptop. The more he knows now, the more it will benefit him in the future. grabonestore, the deal site are having a sale on refurbished laptops now.

Just make sure to set him up on a child account and set limits from the admin account.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

I would suggest a tablet over a laptop. I bought my son a cheap 7" android tablet when he was about 8. It served him well until it was accidently damaged.

For a replacement I have bought him a 8" Microsoft Windows tablet. The reason being he can play the full version of Minecraft, instead of pocket edition, and most importantly Windows comes with built in family safety so I get a brilliant summary of his usage and can monitor and control his time on it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Definitely get him a laptop at that age, shpuld've had him using computers and tech even younger to be honest so he grows up to be knowledgable and comfortable with it. Setup a way to monitor what he's doing on your own computer op, just set boundaries as time goes on when he gets older. If you have knowledge on computers and coding then teach him, op. If you don't then learn with him in your free time together. This could end up being a huge interest that lands him a great job when he's older.

thirteen. wrote: »

Learn about how computers work? I used to love playing with the computers at school when I was a kid but couldn't do much since it was during class and we didn't have one at time. Exposure from a young age can get them interested and familiar with it and getting an early start with things like coding results in the best skills. How do you think we have teenagers creating successful apps?

Lucyfur wrote: »
    My lad is 12 now but had a laptop at 8. He has two now, one for school and one for his own use. He codes and plays minecraft. He's fit and healthy - and passionate about coding and learning. I'm all for him having his own laptop. He bought it himself with money he had saved but if he hadn't, I would have been willing to part pay for one for him.

Parenting done right!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

8 is definitely the right age for children now to be starting to use technology. As users above have said it will help the child in later life, he could develop an interest in IT and have a lifelong career from it and it's a good way for you to teach your child about how to use and mind technology properly.

Important thing would obviously to install a parental blocker, make sure the child is in view when on the laptop (not in his room for example, maybe the kitchen or sitting-room where you can keep an eye on him) limit him to a certain amount of time either per week or day (per week is better as it teaches him about time management) and have at least 1 (if not 2) days per week of no laptop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    8 is definitely the right age for children now to be starting to use technology. As users above have said it will help the child in later life, he could develop an interest in IT and have a lifelong career from it and it's a good way for you to teach your child about how to use and mind technology properly.

Important thing would obviously to install a parental blocker, make sure the child is in view when on the laptop (not in his room for example, maybe the kitchen or sitting-room where you can keep an eye on him) limit him to a certain amount of time either per week or day (per week is better as it teaches him about time management) and have at least 1 (if not 2) days per week of no laptop.

Don't even have to do that if you have another computer, just setup one of the programs for watching or even controlling what's happening on another computer in real time, you can even do this from work while your kids at home if you wanted and your kid would never even know you watch everything they're doing

We have a desktop that he's been using since he was 4ish and we have monitored that closely and as a result he asks us can he do this on the pc can he do that etc
    But we hog the pc as well and he s asking for the laptop so he can play minecraft ,in other words a bit of independence which I'm all for.
    Supervision is the key as some of you have said.

Don't even have to do that if you have another computer, just setup one of the programs for watching or even controlling what's happening on another computer in real time, you can even do this from work while your kids at home if you wanted and your kid would never even know you watch everything they're doing

Can you tell me what program specifically does this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

There is tons of educational software available for kids, many of it free. And it's never too early to learn about something that will only become a more important part of life in the next 20-30 years. Computers are a significant tool now in both business and in social interactions.

Of course, usage needs to be monitored. That goes without saying. But keeping him away from tech because of the potential for misuse is foolish. He is going to have access to this tech during his lifetime. So better to teach him good usage habits now than wait for him to pick up bad habits later on when you are not around to guide him.

Education is always vastly superior to ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Setup OpenDNS for your entire home and choose what they can \ cant see from there. You can also review what has been seen.

Have rules around screen time. Our kids have to earn screen time, 400 skips gets you an hour. Dribble a ball around the house 20 times for 30 mins.

Max 2 hrs screen time per day.

Recognise idle games vs creative play. Minecraft is incredibly creative. Praise your kids work and take an interest. Treat it the same as if they were painting.

Our kids need to embrace technology, it is a huge part of their lives. The most important thing we can teach them is balance. This like everything else needs to be taught in the informative years, 7-12.

Get your kid a laptop and let them use it, learn from it & understand what a fantastic tool it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I thought all primary school children were using computers for homework etc nowadays. I mind children afterschool and they go to different schools and one school in particular has their own page for each year from JI upwards that the pupils can do at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Can you tell me what program specifically does this ?

LogMeIn

My brother had a laptop from 2years. He used to use it for playing games on the Nick Jr. website. Locked it down by setting him up his own account without admin privileges and a dodgy content filter on the router.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think 8 is fine for a laptop. Get them a few typing games as well... the ability to touch type is very useful as an adult, and is so easy for children to pick up. All my typing speed was all built up as a child. It stood to me in college and still does at work.

Minecraft is very creative, and there are some simple programming games as well. The ones that interact with lego are great fun (Lego mindstorms I think?).

Advertisement