Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop for an 8 yr old.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

zanador wrote: »
    You need a monitor, a lan cable (at first), a usb mouse and a usb keyboard. I'd also recommend getting a case and a wifi enabler. Chargers are bought separately too. We got a whole kit (minus mouse and keyboard) for about 65€ - that was for the latest model. Also, an understanding of linux operating systes and python is useful

And you'll also need to buy Minecraft ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

I recycled an old netbook I had for my daughter. I put Windows 8 on it which is great. You can set up a kids account (I'm the designated parent) and get weekly reports on

1. What sites they visit (can be blacklist or whitelist)
    2. What apps they use
    3. What apps they download
    4. How long they are on for each day.

All the above aren't a substitute for good supervision but are a useful add-on for additional reassurance. The windows account can also be used on the xbox with similar restrictions on what they can see and do on it.

I'd actually recommend Windows 8 (everything else I use is Linux based) for this role.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

I'm 17 and I've been using a computer for as long as I can remember. Got my first PC when I was 9 which was a slow and frustrating Windows 98 Packard Bell but I made the most of it. I am now planning on doing computer science when I leave school and I cannot express how important it is for young people to become computer literate from a young age as it's not only a skill for life but with an ever increasing need for computer science graduates, this could be their chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

deisemum wrote: »
    I thought all primary school children were using computers for homework etc nowadays. I mind children afterschool and they go to different schools and one school in particular has their own page for each year from JI upwards that the pupils can do at home.

This is why I'm glad my son is into computers. His school has NO computer based lessons at all. They have one computer in the whole school and when something goes wrong it's my son that fixes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Earlier the better IMO as no matter what they end up doing they'll need to be computer literate.

The only thing to be concerned about is that you as a parent monitor and supervise what they're doing - preferably in an open way that make the whole thing a mutual experience between ye.

My 2 year old little fella can already navigate the phone, open YouTube and expand the video to full screen. He can also ring people and send the occasional garbled text. :p Kinda freaky how comfortable he is with it all already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I see no issue at all with it, my daughter is 4 and she uses my old one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Can you tell me what program specifically does this ?

Haven't used any since I'm not a parent but Google and test out a few different ones with the options you want, someone on this forum will probably even be able to give advice on one they've used. A remote desktop is what you're looking for, but one where the computer being monitored doesn't have any indications that it's being monitored is what you want

Here's one I found with a small search

http://www.ammyy.com/en/admin_parental_control.html

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

I'm 17 and I've been using a computer for as long as I can remember. Got my first PC when I was 9 which was a slow and frustrating Windows 98 Packard Bell but I made the most of it. I am now planning on doing computer science when I leave school and I cannot express how important it is for young people to become computer literate from a young age as it's not only a skill for life but with an ever increasing need for computer science graduates, this could be their chance.

The word bolded above is very important - one of the modern criteria for being considered literate is a competency with technology such as computers. It's not just about reading and writing anymore. Hence why we can get such a low literacy score in some surprising countries.

Also, computer competency is not just about being able to use Microsoft Office etc nowadays.

We live in a world of software, it is in everything we do. Everything is run using software of some kind or another - and this is just going to increase. In the future being computer illiterate will be the same as being illiterate, or innumerate now. Our children may not all be designing software when they grow up, but it will hamper them if they don't understand it. (paraphrased from an article I read on the subject!)

Edit - here's the link to the original article, it's very interesting:
    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/feb/07/year-of-code-dan-crow-songkick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Screentime, supervision and sense are key.

I am sick of listening to parents who tell me that their young fella is great on the computers, when I know that all they can do is search YouTube and play online games. One of my 5th year students, who "is great on the computer" and wants to become a games designer, gave me a blank look when I asked him if he was learning how to code.

People baulk at the idea of an 8 year old having a laptop because we all know a kid who sits in a corner on the laptop ignoring everyone or who stays up half the night on it. Kids can discover unsuitable material when searching unsupervised online and they don't possess the skills to recognise or understand it. When parents don't educate themselves on what their kids are up to, it can be a disaster. Plus, spending €500 on a brand new piece of tech for the exclusive use of an eight year old is excessive, in my opinion.

Not every kid who has a laptop will become a computer scientist or develop the next million-making app.

In case you think I'm a grumpy old woman, my 4 1/2 year old uses my ipad to watch cartoons and play games, my 2 1/2 year old can play games on my phone. I use ICT in my classes all the time. Yes, computers are being used in schools, to a greater or lesser degree, yes, kids may have to do homework on them or use them for research. There is no reason these activities cannot take place on a shared family laptop/tablet.

I just think parents can be sold on the idea of their kids not being left behind and it can turn into an unsupervised and unrestricted mess.

If you must, buy a reasonably-priced family laptop, closely monitor it and limit screen-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Some people suggested that a tablet is better than a laptop.

I strongly disagree

Tablets are far too user friendly. The only thing an 8 year old will learn from owning a tablet is how to waste hours of his/her time on casual games or social media/youtube.

Someone else said that the kid should have access to the laptop but not 'own' it. I disagree again. One part of computer literacy is how to maintain and troubleshoot the computer. The kid should be able to tinker with it, change the settings, personalise it, learn about the file systems, managing ram, managing profiles, navigating the control panel and recognising the tools that are useful for and those that are bloatware/malware

I would highly recommend getting a cheap used laptop and installing Linux mint or something similar onto it and letting the child own the laptop. Linux can play lots of games but to make them work sometimes requires a bit of effort and figuring out how to get them to work is a great way to learn about computers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Can i have a few opinions please. Is 8 years old to young for a laptop?
    No. Yes. Maybe. Depends on the child.

My son, aged 7, regularly uses a laptop. As has been suggested, much of the time it's for games like Minecraft or Club Penguin. However, he uses it to Skype me and has taken to also writing chats (originally through a form of emoticon hieroglyphics, but recently also in English). I've also used it to introduce him to things like programming (scratch) and to play chess with him. Finally, it can also double up as a portable DVD, as it were (for cartoons and movies) - especially if you're familiar with BitTorrent... not that I am in any way condoning or encouraging people to download movies.

The only two caveats are security and overexposure, IMO. The first does not appear to be an issue YET, as he has yet to figure out how to surf or communicate outside of those games I mentioned earlier - I expect this to become an issue before he's ten.

The second is overexposure and that's where he ends up spending too much time on it, which is unhealthy, so that requires boundaries to be set and enforced.

As to options, as long as it supports those games that a child is likely to play (i.e. Minecraft, Flash-based browser games), it can be a pretty cheap affair and so something under 300 Euro would likely do. I'd also think twice about a tablet, as these tend not to support Flash, which is the bread and butter of many kids games nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Akrasia wrote: »
    I would highly recommend getting a cheap used laptop and installing Linux mint or something similar onto it and letting the child own the laptop. Linux can play lots of games but to make them work sometimes requires a bit of effort and figuring out how to get them to work is a great way to learn about computers.

I was with you right up until this..

There's no point in installing something that virtually no-one (outside the server side of things) actually uses. Far better to install Win 7/8 (which it'll probably come with anyway) and let them get used to that as there's a 99% chance that it's what they'll be using when they're in school/work.

Keeping a Windows install running smoothly - especially if you're playing games - can still be tricky enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭biketard

I've got Linux Mint on the netbook that my daughter uses. I don't see the problem. They already learn Windows stuff at school. Having an additional OS at home is like bringing them up bilingual.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

And you'll also need to buy Minecraft ;)

No, you don't.
    http://pi.minecraft.net
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I was with you right up until this..

There's no point in installing something that virtually no-one (outside the server side of things) actually uses. Far better to install Win 7/8 (which it'll probably come with anyway) and let them get used to that as there's a 99% chance that it's what they'll be using when they're in school/work.

Keeping a Windows install running smoothly - especially if you're playing games - can still be tricky enough.

Linux is far more important than a few server things. Android, iOS, OS X and many other UNiX derivatives are becoming much more mainstream than Windows in day to day life whereas Windows is declining. Linux is hugely important for a whole host of applications - it even gaining traction as a gaming platform.

We have had a few TY students into us this week (we also take in third level interns and have visiting PhD students). Very few of them can code, nevermind find their way around Windows.
    I asked one of the TY kids what they do with computers in school and if he enjoyed using them. I was told that he had solid basics. When I asked what the basics were I was informed that this was merely Word and ****ing PowerPoint. I think I died a little inside.

Why are we teaching kids to use crappy proprietary productivity software when we could be teaching them about actual computers? They have no idea what a text editor is. I had a student send me me his contribution to a TeX document in a Word file! I see people spend hours with excel spreadsheets when a simple script could have completed the task in seconds.

We need to teach children what a computer is. What it can do. How they can build one, program it, make it talk to another computer, break it, fix it. We shouldn't turn our school time into training or kids to use expensive vendor locked software. If you can actually use a computer learning something as simple as Word is not something that schools should have to waste time on.

5uspect wrote: »
    I asked one of the TY kids what they do with computers in school and if he enjoyed using them. I was told that he had solid basics. When I asked what the basics were I was informed that this was merely Word and ****ing PowerPoint. I think I died a little inside.
    Not everyone in the World is a techie and the reality is that common packages such as Word and PowerPoint are the basics for the other 99% of the population. Neither should we presume that our children will follow us into technical professions or even be terribly technical (e.g. they may take after their other parent there).

Given this, if one does want to introduce their children to programming, I would recommend Scratch.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Not everyone in the World is a techie and the reality is that common packages such as Word and PowerPoint are the basics for the other 99% of the population. Neither should we presume that our children will follow us into technical professions or even be terribly technical (e.g. they may take after their other parent there).

Given this, if one does want to introduce their children to programming, I would recommend Scratch.

When you go to school you learn the fundamentals. You don't just learn how to read the Star. You don't just learn how to figure out the cost of texting X factor. Why then when you study basic computer use are we teaching children MS Office? Why not show them general purpose skills that enable them to use these commercial packages if they so wish? It's not about entering a technical field, it's about learning some very basic concepts.

This weeks TY student, when I asked him if he know the equation for the area of a circle, told me that they didn't have to know that in the exam so it wasn't important. I was planning to spend the next hour teaching him the basics of Photography, as he had a photo assignment coming up, but after that I could barely bring myself to spend fifteen minutes giving a damn.

On the flip side we recently got an intern right out of first year from the UK and he could code in C# and Matlab and could string together more than two syllables together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

As a non techie parent I've been slightly shamefaced reading this thread. I've downloaded scratch and hopefully my children will benifit from this. Thanks for the tip re scratch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

My 2C:

Defiantly not too young, I got my first computer at that age (Commodore 64).
    I +1 the comments I would go for a laptop over a tablet for sure.

There are a slew of low cost laptops on the way as Microsoft are giving Windows free to manufactures for low cost devices, so a reasonable spec Windows laptop will come in around the €200-250 mark. You could also look at Chromebooks.

The obvious things regarding screen time is take it before bed time, no wifi access behind closed doors. I would also look at installing a free screen sharing software (VNC, Chrome Remote Desktop or the like) and let the kid know that you reserve the right to spot check their activity for their own protection. At 8 you could just say he must use it in a supervised area like the living room etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

THANK YOU all for your replies. I have decided Santa is going to bring the laptop after all. I knew it wasn't a bad idea but just wanted a few opinions.
    I'm off now to have a nice slice of rasberry pi and ice cream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TomoBhoy

zanador wrote: »
    My son has an old sony vaio. He's nine now but had it since he was 8. He uses it for coder dojo, coding at home, CAD (design) - as well as minecraft, of course :D.

I don't think he's too young, it's a different time now and his ability to code from a young age will be invaluable to him in the future.

He also climbs mountains, plays tennis, swims, bikes etc etc it's all about balance

This 😄

Advertisement