Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jamma Repairs

• 09-11-2014 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hey all,
    New to boards.ie so be nice...looking for advice/recommendation with my cab. The control panel was removed years ago for repair to be never returned (cowboy). The screen is also more or less shot and as I'm not brave enough to play with electricity I was hoping someone could suggest someone who could guide/advise/repair the cab for me....have 5 Jamma boards and its the cab and boards are only seeing daylight now after many years...please help!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

What exactly is wrong with the screen? Sending the chassis off to Gunblade for a repair would be the best bet.

I'm assuming your cabinet is a wooden one, anyone handy with wood should be able to cut and drill it, buy the buttons/sticks from somewhere like gremlinsolutions. Wiring it is simple, everything gets grounded and then its just running the correct cable from the loom to each switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 misty37

HI Cathal....takes half an hour for the image to come through on SF2 and when I tested my other Jamma games its just flashing yellow!

In fairness the cab hasnt been unused for 5 years. Where is Gunsmoke located and is he affordable?

misty37 wrote: »
    HI Cathal....takes half an hour for the image to come through on SF2 and when I tested my other Jamma games its just flashing yellow!

In fairness the cab hasnt been unused for 5 years. Where is Gunsmoke located and is he affordable?

Fitst things first, check the 5V output on your jamma supply using a multimeter and adjust as nesessary, there should be an adjustment on the supply itself, this could be why your other boards dont boot, and after sitting unused for a couple years its likely the voltage is incorrect now.
    Sounds like the monitor needs a cap kit, I've never used him but I know most the regulars on here have, keithgeo, urbanlegend, o1s1n. I think he is based in the UK, you'll get hold of him over on jammaplus.co.uk or ukvac.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yep Gunblade on Jamma+.
    Great guy to deal with.

Thanks Cathal...you dont know of anyone that would try look at it, price me for it? I'm brutal with electrics (nothng to do with me nearly killing myself with electricity as a chap!)

Appreciate the time your taking talking to me about this!

• Advertisement

Thanks Cathal...you dont know of anyone that would try look at it, price me for it? I'm brutal with electrics (nothng to do with me nearly killing myself with electricity as a chap!)

Appreciate the time your taking talking to me about this!

Wasnt much good myself either, take some pictures as that would help.
    Ed

Will do and ill post them to yourself & Cathal as a PM if thats ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

Where are you based might be able to get it sorted for you

HI Mitch,

Am in Gorey.

Thx for replying

Where you based?
    If your near me Id give you a dig out.

• Advertisement

Hi Urban,

Am in Gorey

Ah miles away from me!
    What type of cab is it?
    The wiring is handy

Lol...its an old generic wooden cab, 80's id say. Got it with Street Fighter 2 in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

Best is post some pics,I have spares if needed

Ill post a few on Tuesday....appreciate your help!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

and dont touch anything on the back of the monitor without reading up on it first, even it the machine is switched off those old crts hold a charge that could kill you!

keithgeo wrote: »
    and dont touch anything on the back of the monitor without reading up on it first, even it the machine is switched off those old crts Might hold a charge that could kill you!
    Might

True, though its better to assume it does, especially if its been switched on recently.

HI all, firstly thanks to all who have replied to my posts re my arcade cabinet....hope to have the monitor issue (scarred to go near it myself!) this week.....assuming this goes well can anyone advise me where to get buttons/joysticks as I am losing faith in getting the original control panel back....cheers!!!!!!

HI all, firstly thanks to all who have replied to my posts re my arcade cabinet....hope to have the monitor issue (scarred to go near it myself!) this week.....assuming this goes well can anyone advise me where to get buttons/joysticks as I am losing faith in getting the original control panel back....cheers!!!!!!

I normally get my stuff from arcadeworlduk lots of stuff on there for decent prices.

• Advertisement

I normally get my stuff from arcadeworlduk lots of stuff on there for decent prices.

Agree with this. I should have gotten the Seimitsu concave buttons instead of the cheap plastic ones, lesson learned

http://www.arcadeworlduk.com/categories/Seimitsu-Parts/

Also what does the original control panel look like? Any pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

You could also try this new site if they have what you wanted. Should work out cheaper than arcadeworlduk but arcadeworld are well established with fast turnarounds.

http://www.arcadejapan.co.uk/

yeh take some photos of the cab so we can see what it looks like, work out what cab it is..

yeh take some photos of the cab so we can see what it looks like, work out what cab it is..

Its an old Italian "Zaccari" cab. The control panel is out of it...currently a friend is tracking down the bloke who was repairing it for me (not holding my breath). Now for worse news....I cant get anyone who seems to know anything about the monitor....all im getting is a yellow screen. I dont have the know how to replace it with a flat screen :(

Would really love to breath new libe in to the machine so if anyone can help or advise of some one with the know how in the Wicklow / Wexford area please let me know! Unfortunately I cant post pics on here as I havent been a member long enough!

Dont replace it with an LCD, you would be crazy to do that.
    Is there definitely something wrong with your monitor? Do your boards play blindly?
    You should be able to upload pics to www.tinypic.com or photobucket and share the links.
    You could just discharge the monitor and send the chasis off to Gunblade in the UK for repair.

I really dont want to but have no idea what to do or how to fix it....I dont mind spending a few quid on it. It was working ok when I fired it up, but now all im getting is a yellow screen...no idea why! Can email pics as I cant upload pics as Im a new user. At this stage am seriously thinking of changing it to a MAME cab as it seems less ahssle, id prefer to retain it as is but have no idea what to do or how to go about it. Originally it was set up for 3 buttons per player and I want to convert it to 6. Have 6 boards for it sa well which I cant even test!

Jaysus my spelling is brutal!!!! Apologies!!

Do your boards play blindly?
    If yes, then most likely a monitor chassis fault. You could just discharge the monitor and send the chasis off to Gunblade in the UK for repair.
    It's not rocket science, should take you 5-10minutes to discharge and remove it.

If no, then you probably have a wiring or PSU fault, have you checked the voltages from the JAMMA PSU? This is the first thing I would do before plugging in any game board anyway.

You can upload pics to www.tinypic.com and share the links here.

• Advertisement

So uploaded pics to Tiny pic, but as I am a new User wont allow me to uploda it here!! My twitter name is @frankogrady1 and have pics there

Cheers Cathal....not sure of that will work though

So uploaded pics to Tiny pic, but as I am a new User wont allow me to uploda it here!! My twitter name is @frankogrady1 and have pics there

that is **** cool:D

Looks like a nice machine, pics don't tell much though.
    Are the games playing blind?
    ie. can you hear them playing and insert a coin?
    Does the screen stay black when no board is plugged in and turned on?
    B3EilG6CYAAIztK.jpg
    B3EilJuCcAEQZU6.jpg
    B3EilIRCQAAXQNc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Nice cab alright and looks like the expensive parts of the monitor are working so hopefully should be an easy fix.

Misty, stick a post up on Jamma + in the tech section. Gunblade is active on there and will be quick to diagnose it for you.

As the lads have said if it's a chassis issue he will see you right.

• Advertisement

HI guys....
    when game in I can hear the music and coin op working (fench francs lol)....when out screen stays exactly the same colour! Tried to reply to Cathal who kindly uploaded the pics and wasnt allowed as Im a new user cant upload/use pics so not sure how to get this posted as you suggest Techno.

BTW can anyone advise the game that might have originally been in this cab from side art?

Misty, can you register on this site and post on this specfic forum?

http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=12&title=tech-maintenance-repairs

Also the lads on that site know their woodies (tee hee) so probably can shed light on all your cab questions too.

Thanks Techno...have done that....you and your woodies

you and your woodies

The biggest in town.

• Advertisement

The biggest in town.

Erm....yeah....we are talking about Woodies DIY arent we?!?!?!

definitely looks like a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaccaria_%28company%29 cabinet but dont see one like it in the list of cabs there, could be a prototype cabinet
    also look here http://www.zzzaccaria.com/

It looks similiar to Astro Wars, i was going to guess that, but cant find one with the exact same artwork. thought Astrowars though, especially with the A in the spaceship

Yup its a Zaccari cab alright but cant locate the game that its was used for anywhere

Have also tried researching the side art on google images, no joy though

Its super cobra aparently
    Ebay listing of a Zaccaria Super Cobra. Note the unusual side-art. Is it really a Zaccaria? Also, note that the Konami license is blacked out on the monitor glass.
    see http://www.zzzaccaria.com/photos_www_2005.htm
    20_1_b.jpg
    c8_1_b.jpg

also reference here
    https://perswww.kuleuven.be/~u0008708/museum.htm

Thats it! Cheers Cathal....am on Jamma+ and talking to Gunblade...he thinks its a soldering issue see his reply below..........

hmm not nice,a very old hantarex mtc900
    the gaffer tape is holding the anode cap in place as the clip needs a tweek-probably

right yeah,most likely bad solder joints on the neck card or just a tweek at the pots

and yes this chassis holds a ht charge

not a great chassis to learn on tbh

Thanks to every one who has helped me so far with trying to get this Monitor prob sorted...its appreciated, I have copied Gunblades suggestion below.....with sounding like a total muppet..can anyone put this in lay mans terms for me (yeah, yeah legs wide open for a kickin!!)

i could take a look but to be honest i think you would be better off getting a mtc900e with the correct neck card-the anode cap is bound to have deteriorated to a state whereby it may not be insulating correctly

i am quite sure the the mtc900e with a fat crt socket is fully compatible with the earlier mtc900 but it has been such a long time since i worked on the original type mtc900

you could probably pick up a replacement chassis for anything from £50-£100 depending on if it has a new flyback

Good stuff misty. Grant is a good guy and knows his sh1t. He really is the go to guy and Oracle for all things crt related.

I know you're new to all of this but we all had to start there. I would suggest nobody learns about monitors for the fun of it, only when things start to go wrong did we learn hard and fast.

yup he's given me a few things to try.......fingers crossed and thanks again!!! Up early for Katies fight so may head soon

• Advertisement
Advertisement