Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop failing to start.

Options
  • 09-11-2014 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

i have a laptop with xp installed. however the laptop wont boot anymore. i have photos to get off the harddrive but my laptop displays the message operating system not found and doesnt go beyond that point. I have a hirens boot cd for xp but i still cant get access to the laptops hd to take the photos off. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

One of your options anyway is to buy a 2.5 SATA HDD enclosure from eBay (normally around the €5 mark including delivery) presuming your HDD is a 2.5 SATA, place it into the enclosure and browse the files on a different machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Is the HDD visible in bios? First thing I'd do is to reseat the drive. Listen for clicks or other unusual noises when you power up the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Repeating people here, but I'd check if the drives is connected properly. If not, stop trying to get the laptop to detect it for now.

Do you have an external drive? Preferably a large Desktop one for a few reasons, mainly they're easier to swap the drives in, and they have their own dedicated power supply.

If you have, it should only be about 6 screws take out the drive that's in it, and swap it with your drive.
    Not so easy with a portable drive, as they usually have cases that aren't so handy to open.

HDD Regenerator is after getting very expensive.
    A few free alternatives here

The sata enclosure is good, but I have had more success using SOMETHING LIKE THIS in the past.

Advertisement