Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats pulling apart bins

• 09-11-2014 8:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭

Is there anything I can put on/in my wheelie bins to stop the local cats pulling them apart constantly! Something effective but obviously harmless to cats!

GM228

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Was hoping for a spray or other type of deterrant as even with two blocks on the bins they still manage to bend up the ends of the lids and get in!

I'd imagine there would be even greater flexibility with a thin strap!

GM228

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

use 2 straps? on either end/edge of the bin. if your bin is smelling strong enough to attract them that they're that bothered, no spray is gonna keep them away.

you could try covering the lid with double sided tape, nothing too strong, you just need it to be uncomfortable to them,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

If you have two blocks on it and they are still getting in, are you sure it's not a fox?

I have family in London and they can't keep foxes out of the bins, so make a cage around it with trellis, hinge the front and put a bolt on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

GM228 wrote: »
    Was hoping for a spray or other type of deterrant as even with two blocks on the bins they still manage to bend up the ends of the lids and get in!

I'd imagine there would be even greater flexibility with a thin strap!

GM228

Are you sure they are cats?
    Could be dogs or foxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

GM228 wrote: »
    Is there anything I can put on/in my wheelie bins to stop the local cats pulling them apart constantly! Something effective but obviously harmless to cats!

GM228

A dog.

Are you sure they are cats?
    Could be dogs or foxes.

Definatley cats, have caught them a few times and they are very determined! Bins are no smellier than any other bin!

GM228

A dog.

Could get into trouble for that!

GM228

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Are they pet cats or stray/ferals? If the latter they're probably desperate for food and it might be worth checking with any animal rescues in your area who could do a tnr to make sure the numbers don't increase.

Are they pet cats or stray/ferals? If the latter they're probably desperate for food and it might be worth checking with any animal rescues in your area who could do a tnr to make sure the numbers don't increase.

I think they are pets!

GM228

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Visions of cats getting strangled trying to get in through the lid.. Can you not just feed them?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Visions of cats getting strangled trying to get in through the lid.. Can you not just feed them?

Or worse still being in the bin when the truck comes!

I fed cats before and found they got used to it and then hung around waiting for the next feed!

GM228

Advertisement