Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Work in London

Options
  • 09-11-2014 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

So basically I want to know is it possible/feasible for a student to move to and get a summer job in London just for a few months? I know its only November but I really want to go to London for the summer next year but it seems it could be too expensive, especially for the jobs I would be able to get with not having my degree yet. Anyone ever done this or know anyone who has?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

You could, say you have June-July-August.

Land in last week in may, by the time you have set up, house,bank account, tax number and are ready to work it could be the first week in july.

Not many places would be keen on taking someone for 3 months, as it's a pain in the arse looking for roomates.

Minimum rent is £400 for a room, looking at £600 for somewhere decent and £750 for somewhere handy.

You might get a job pulling pints or somewhere for cash.

So you might break even, by all means it'd would be a great stepping stone to have your bank account/tax number for when you finish college and are ready to work in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Murphy7777

Yeah thanks, seems like a lot of hassle to be honest just for threes months over there. A friend might have a room free there for the summer, so it depends on that I suppose really. Apparently not too hard to get call centre jobs over there either, have a bit of exp with that but no bar work

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

If you are just looking for casual work I wouldn't recommend it - but if you are doing an internship it's a great place to go (lots of other interns, lots of accommodation in university halls available to rent for interns).

What is your degree area? Are there any relvant areas where you could apply for internships? Keep in mind that those processes will start to begin (if not already) in Dec/Jan time typically.

If you want something casual do a J1 or go to Canada!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Murphy7777 wrote: »
    Yeah thanks, seems like a lot of hassle to be honest just for threes months over there. A friend might have a room free there for the summer, so it depends on that I suppose really. Apparently not too hard to get call centre jobs over there either, have a bit of exp with that but no bar work
    Wherever you go will be a bit of hassle and London is a great city to start off your Summer travels in.
    The accommodation can be costly but if you have that sorted then it is a good option. You could always get your friend to put your name on a utility bill as a proof of residence as you will need a Insurance Number. If you had that sorted before you go in the Summer then you could be working straight away. It may mean that you have to travel over for an interview in March/April with the DHSS but that is the only way. If you could do a few evenings in a local bar or GAA Club bar in Ireland then you would have enough experience for most of the London places. After all there are young ones getting straight off the planes from Warsaw and starting up in bar jobs. Other than that check out security companies and cleaning companies. It's not great work but it is part of the student experience

Advertisement