Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

price of roofer

Options
  • 09-11-2014 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

how much should i expect to pay a roofer per day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

maggyt wrote: »
    how much should i expect to pay a roofer per day?

Personally I'd never pay trades per day. Get them to price for the completed job that way you'll know exactly what's it's costing from the outset.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 maggyt

i got a guy to do a job and he just gave a price off the top of head when he called in. said, it wont be any more than.... i said go ahead and then when he was nearing the end, i said to him is it working out less than you thought, you were only here 1 day by yourself and didnt need to take as many slates off as you thought. he said no, same price. so i asked for a detailed bill to show how job was priced. since in the end there wasnt much materials used, he is trying to charge 1000 euro for labour for 8 hours. he reckons roofers get paid 90-120 per hour. i checked a few on the phone this morning and they all said 150-200 per day!!

i got a guy to do a job and he just gave a price off the top of head when he called in. said, it wont be any more than.... i said go ahead and then when he was nearing the end, i said to him is it working out less than you thought, you were only here 1 day by yourself and didnt need to take as many slates off as you thought. he said no, same price. so i asked for a detailed bill to show how job was priced. since in the end there wasnt much materials used, he is trying to charge 1000 euro for labour for 8 hours. he reckons roofers get paid 90-120 per hour. i checked a few on the phone this morning and they all said 150-200 per day!!

Sounds likes he's trying to take you for a fool.

Based off those figures he's on between € 3,600-€6,720 per week for five 8hr days. I think I've just found my dream job

I know!! one roofer asked me this morning was it the president of ireland who did the the job! he probably doesnt even get paid that much! Im just not really sure what to do now...I alraedy paid him 700 euro and having done the research, it seems thats a fair price for what he did. but he thinks i will be paying him another 700!!! i told him i need to check out the bill and i will get back to him. when i say no, that its ridiculous, i cant see him just walking away. is there anywhere to turn for a bit of back up? like citizens advice. or do tradesmen have to answer to anyone, be registered or anything like that. I am afraid of my life that i will come home one day and he has undone the work!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

If you agreed a price before he started then you should pay IMO.

Let it be a lesson earned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Pricing a job can be hazardous for a tradesman.
    he could have come up against a problem and could be there for days. When pricing try for a best case worst case then u have a fair idea.
    if it took him days over the expected would u be complaining.

Saying this I did pay a tiler 350 for 1 day.

Ask him for a Vat receipt

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

893bet wrote: »
    If you agreed a price before he started then you should pay IMO.

Let it be a lesson earned.

Horse manure !!! No way could any self-respecting customer should have to put up with that kind of extortion. OP should pay what he thinks is a fair price and if roofer objects, ask him for a VAT receipt and if its not forthcoming, tell him Revenue will be getting a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

Horse manure !!! No way could any self-respecting customer should have to put up with that kind of extortion. OP should pay what he thinks is a fair price and if roofer objects, ask him for a VAT receipt and if its not forthcoming, tell him Revenue will be getting a call.

So what is the point of asking a for a quotation so?

Should the customer just pay what they think is a fair price when any tradesman finishes.

They have agreed a price and have a verbal contract so to speak.

Also what happens if he agrees to a VAT receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

893bet wrote: »
    So what is the point of asking a for a quotation so?

Should the customer just pay what they think is a fair price when any tradesman finishes.

They have agreed a price and have a verbal contract so to speak.

Also what happens if he agrees to a VAT receipt?
    The bill was for labour only, he gave a price but there wasn't as much work as he thought that's what I read anyway. If you think it's fair to pay €1k for a days labour any tradesman you hire must be laughing all the way to the bank. €150-€200/day would be a fair rate for a carpenter. Carpenters didn't get €1k/day during the celtic tiger never mind now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sam Kade wrote: »
    The bill was for labour only, he gave a price but there wasn't as much work as he thought that's what I read anyway. If you think it's fair to pay €1k for a days labour any tradesman you hire must be laughing all the way to the bank. €150-€200/day would be a fair rate for a carpenter. Carpenters didn't get €1k/day during the celtic tiger never mind now.

On the basis that he said it won't be any more than whatever price, you can assume that this was the worst case senario. Given that the job was now finished in quick time, you are very much within your rights to query the price.
    Don't pay 1400 for 1 days labour for one man.
    Furthermore, is there any possibility that the job should be 1400 and he had just botched it and wants handy money.
    If you know nothing about the work, you should have an engineer look over the job and have them talk to roofer. Roofer might be less likely to spoof then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Op asked for and recieved a quote, agreed and is now reneging on their word. That's it in a nutshell.

Is it overpriced, looks like it but that's a different secanario. It's often mentioned to get three quotes and make your mind up from there.

OP can you explain what work was carried out.

Also from reading original post no price was agreed OP states roofer claimed it wouldn't be any more that X implying the price was flexible.

I had a situation where a contractor tried to over charge €7k on a project (it was laughable) when challenged and asked to break it down €5k was dropped instantly a further 2hr argument on site saw the full €7k disappear off the invoice.

I agree with other posters OP could of gotten more than one quote and always have a price locked down (preferably written) before any trade starts work.

basically the problem or a leak was going on for a long time and i had a few different people out to look at at and they all said something different to fix it and all said different price. was at my wits end with it and went to a local builders suppliers to ask for reliable builder name. that builder gave me the roofer name. i thought i was having a converstaion when he said it wont be more than 1400. i said go ahead. he told me he had to replace all slates back to velux. take out first row of tiles on neihbours roof and put lead in. himself and another guy 2 days at least. when he came alone i thought it would take waylonger. instead he was finished 1 day. 1 hour the next day. 8 hours total. i kept saying to him, does it looklike it might be less now, you only took 2 lines of my slates and was only yourself. no same price he said. i said surely now the job is changing slightly and coming out as less then you have to wait til you are finished and give me bill. no same price he said. i then asked for a detailed invoice because my ex might pay for half. he said he wont give invoice til i pay. i paid him 700 and said i want bill before i pay anymore. he came to my door with invoice wrote out but wouldnt give it to me. gave me piece of paper with breakdown of costs. i questioned the cost of the labour, 1000. he said roofers get paid 120 per hour. he was breaking it down into my roof and neighbours roof even though was the same days work. i rand a few roofers and most said between 150-200 per day. the builder who gave me his number said the same. my roof is fixed and if it was fairly priced i would recommend this guy all the way. but why should he be able to make a price up out of his head that doesnt reflect the work done what so ever!!!! and i have to pay it!! the richest roofer in ireland if he is doing that to everyone. or he saw a woman on her own and went away rubbing his hands together and laughing at me!!!

Well if he's not forthcoming with the invoice he wouldn't be getting a penny more off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

basically the problem or a leak was going on for a long time and i had a few different people out to look at at and they all said something different to fix it and all said different price. was at my wits end with it and went to a local builders suppliers to ask for reliable builder name. that builder gave me the roofer name. i thought i was having a converstaion when he said it wont be more than 1400. i said go ahead. he told me he had to replace all slates back to velux. take out first row of tiles on neihbours roof and put lead in. himself and another guy 2 days at least. when he came alone i thought it would take waylonger. instead he was finished 1 day. 1 hour the next day. 8 hours total. i kept saying to him, does it looklike it might be less now, you only took 2 lines of my slates and was only yourself. no same price he said. i said surely now the job is changing slightly and coming out as less then you have to wait til you are finished and give me bill. no same price he said. i then asked for a detailed invoice because my ex might pay for half. he said he wont give invoice til i pay. i paid him 700 and said i want bill before i pay anymore. he came to my door with invoice wrote out but wouldnt give it to me. gave me piece of paper with breakdown of costs. i questioned the cost of the labour, 1000. he said roofers get paid 120 per hour. he was breaking it down into my roof and neighbours roof even though was the same days work. i rand a few roofers and most said between 150-200 per day. the builder who gave me his number said the same. my roof is fixed and if it was fairly priced i would recommend this guy all the way. but why should he be able to make a price up out of his head that doesnt reflect the work done what so ever!!!! and i have to pay it!! the richest roofer in ireland if he is doing that to everyone. or he saw a woman on her own and went away rubbing his hands together and laughing at me!!!
    He's chancing his arm and trying to make a once off killing. The €700 you paid him is too much for what he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

Don't think this guy is chancing his arm, he quoted it for what he thought it would cost ie. worst case scenario. It cost less, if it had cost €3,000 would you be sticking him to his original quote, you probably would. Now I am not saying that €120 an hour is a going rate for a roofer, obviously it is not but you never asked him for an hourly rate.

Best thing you could do is split the difference, tell him you will give him another €350 and not a penny more, more than likely he will agree and you will still have saved money, as I'm guessing his original quote was still less than others you received.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

i thought i was having a converstaion when he said it wont be more than 1400. i said go ahead.
    He quoted you 1400, and you said go ahead. Sounds pretty much like a verbal agreement on price.

You're paying for the tools, knowledge, labour, and materials to do the job.

Funny question; if the OP fails to pay the cost, can the labourer legally take back the tiles?

the_syco wrote: »
    He quoted you 1400, and you said go ahead. Sounds pretty much like a verbal agreement on price.

Funny question; if the OP fails to pay the cost, can the labourer legally take back the tiles?
    Not legally I believe.
    It seems even in the case where a supplier delivers material to a site, if they then fail to be paid, they cannot even go in there and take their stiff back while still on pallets, never mind when the stuff have been fixed to the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rayfitzharris

the_syco wrote: »

But he didn't, he said 'not more than 1400'.

I think you've satisfied his criteria OP and he's already been paid handsomely for his days work. Send him on his merry way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

mickdw wrote: »
    Not legally I believe.
    The elements of a contract are "offer" and "acceptance" by "competent persons"
    having legal capacity who exchange "consideration" to create "mutuality of
    obligation."
    The guy offered to do it for the agreed price and the client accepted for that price.

The guy offered to do it for the agreed price and the client accepted for that price.

What has my quote got to do with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

At first You have to get roof surveyed by an engineer 200-300euro, than get carpenter to do the job, including all taxes say 220euro. Scafolding company with all certs. 100-150euro So the cost will be around 650euro.
    The problem with the roofs are, that it's hard to predict damage and can cost a lot to fix. I bet that if he at the start sad it will cost 200 and later come back for more, because of the hidden problems, than You'll probably complain about it to.
    If you agree the price You have to pay it, I don't think You be happy get half of Your salary at the end of week, just because Your boss thinks that You didn't work much this week?
    People pay for I-phones 600euro, but people in china maybe get only 1euro for building it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

So now it make sense. If costs wasn't clear, You can make a deal or look for professional advice, chamber of master craftsman or homebond. Is there a 20 year warranty on the roof now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 protectcork

In the current edition of the 02 area Goldenpages there are in total 12 full page advertisements representing 10 "traders" dealing in roofing and gutters. Each trader have their own phones, location address and advertising content. But amazingly all these 10 traders with full page ads are in fact connected to the same two family connected groups. So really you have to look at the smaller text ads to find an independent roofer if you want an alternative quote. Have anybody else being frustrated to find this lack of transparency in the goldenpages full page ads?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Tell him to take a hike! I don't think you'll get any money back but you'd be nuts giving him anymore. If he keeps hassling you call the guards!

Advertisement