Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House in oranmore

Options
  • 09-11-2014 9:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

hi

meself and the wife are looking to buy a house in the Oranmore area.

- should any specific area's be avoided ?
    - are there primary and secondary schools in the area ?
    - is the property market picking up or has it picked up already ?
    - in general, is it a decent place to live ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

never mind the schools, think of the retail... supervalu , lidl, tesco and aldi soon. And a Dunnes in briarhill

Plenty of choice in primary schools.

Calasanctius secondary has come on a lot,

Property market is picking up from a few years of rock bottom

Renville Park, restaurants, sports clubs , swimming pools

good place to live

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Thanks.

In general is the broadband decent in the area
    My job would requiere me working from home sometimes so a decent broadband connection is essential

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Fibre to cabinet in most places about 20-30mb/s plus 4g for phones.

Fibre to cabinet in most places about 20-30mb/s plus 4g for phones.

Thanks, that will do me :)

are there any areas in Oranmore that are affected by flooding when there is heavy rain, high winds......with the Ocean and all on its doortep ?

• Advertisement

are there any areas in Oranmore that are affected by flooding when there is heavy rain, high winds......with the Ocean and all on its doortep ?

any comments on this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Not that I am aware of, only flooding I know of is moneymore the other side of the main limerick road. Nothing in the main estates etc in oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Lived in Oranmore for the majority of my life. There was always areas of boggy swampy land about, some of which was developed over the last 15 years or so. The water would have been displaced, and as far as I recall there were some issues with flooding in the Carrowmoneash area. Attachment related for location.

Haven't spoken to anyone living nearby in a while so I'm not sure if the problem still persists. Worth looking into if that's the area you have in mind.

Lived in Oranmore for the majority of my life. There was always areas of boggy swampy land about, some of which was developed over the last 15 years or so. The water would have been displaced, and as far as I recall there were some issues with flooding in the Carrowmoneash area. Attachment related for location.

Haven't spoken to anyone living nearby in a while so I'm not sure if the problem still persists. Worth looking into if that's the area you have in mind.

Thanks very much for that very helpful map .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Last winter there was coastal flooding that caused more access problems than damage really. The coast road was partially flooded but I didn't hear of any houses being damaged.

When we first moved to Oranmore we rented in Renville Village, while location was brilliant, our house was not great but speaking to a few people since, ours was an exception as most we built by different builders. Would renting for a few months be an option so you get to check out the areas around Oranmore or do you have to be in Oranmore itself?

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »
    Last winter there was coastal flooding that caused more access problems than damage really. The coast road was partially flooded but I didn't hear of any houses being damaged.

When we first moved to Oranmore we rented in Renville Village, while location was brilliant, our house was not great but speaking to a few people since, ours was an exception as most we built by different builders. Would renting for a few months be an option so you get to check out the areas around Oranmore or do you have to be in Oranmore itself?

Thanks !

Looks like Oranmore dosent really get wiped out so by floods as such.

Yeah, suppose renting could be an option alight

are there any particular area's/estates that should be avoided in Oranmore ?

I'm looking for a nice family oriented area with of possible no anti social crap (I know, very hard to find a place like this, but here's hoping )

In Regard to Renville park, where exactly is it ?? I cant see it on google maps.

I can see Renville village etc but nothing detailed as Renville park. Is the park just kind of on the same grounds as Galway Bay golf club ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Yeah, it's the old Rinville estate near where the Golf Club is now.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2484102,-8.9654958,484m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Chuckieawrlaw

generally a very boring place,
    zero anti-social behaviour,( which is good if ur boring)

The pubs are no craic, the only nytclub doesnt open much anymore

a bit of flooding nathintoo serious

generally a very boring place,
    zero anti-social behaviour,( which is good if ur boring)

The pubs are no craic, the only nytclub doesnt open much anymore

a bit of flooding nathintoo serious

id prefer boring than anti social behaviour anytime :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

First time I've seen lack of anti-social behavior as a strike against an area.

Oranmore is a nice place to live, close to town with a decent shuttle bus service and plenty of facilities that you wouldn't have to go to town for much - good amount of restaurants and pubs, cinema, bowling/arcade, Tesco/Aldi/Lidl/Super Valu, two gyms, a fantastic park down in Renville which is just great if you've kids or dogs, broadband availability is good (I haven't lived in Oranmore since 2010 but we had 20mb at that point), plenty of take aways if that's your thing too.

Flooding isn't an issue at all apart from one or two houses maybe on the coast road - these are older, single houses, not estates - and on the moneymore side. Again, these are older houses outside the village itself.

There aren't any rough areas in Oranmore but if I had to choose one, Frenchpark near the Roundabout on the Dublin Road isn't great.

Oranmore is a nice place to live, close to town with a decent shuttle bus service and plenty of facilities that you wouldn't have to go to town for much - good amount of restaurants and pubs, cinema, bowling/arcade, Tesco/Aldi/Lidl/Super Valu, two gyms, a fantastic park down in Renville which is just great if you've kids or dogs, broadband availability is good (I haven't lived in Oranmore since 2010 but we had 20mb at that point), plenty of take aways if that's your thing too.

Flooding isn't an issue at all apart from one or two houses maybe on the coast road - these are older, single houses, not estates - and on the moneymore side. Again, these are older houses outside the village itself.

There aren't any rough areas in Oranmore but if I had to choose one, Frenchpark near the Roundabout on the Dublin Road isn't great.

excellent input , thanks a milion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'm in ashbrook which is very nice, big green for the kids and good residence committee that keep the place spotless. Houses are a good size but starting to age compared to modern builds for heating in winter. Never an ounce of concern about trouble, all the kids are decent kids no hanging around corners even. Few games of footy is about as boisterous as it gets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Chuckieawrlaw

id prefer boring than anti social behaviour anytime :)

I didnt mean it as a bad thing, but realistically if your a from the perspective of a young male, there is no craic in oranmore at night time,,, a great place to raise a young family etc etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement