Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sites Without local needs.

Options
  • 09-11-2014 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭

So Im looking for a site to put a house on , and I keep running into issues with local needs planning. Im from an urban boring house in an estate and I have no interest in living like that for the rest of my life. Not being from a rural background however puts me in a position that getting around the local needs stipulation is a problem.

I have done out a map below of areas Id like to get a site , does anyone know of or could suggest an area in here where sites without local needs planning may be more freely available.

5EXSbT.jpg
    Click for High Res Version.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Unless you from wicklow, work there or have a connection with the place you can take it off the list.
    There's a reason why land is cheaper there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Realistically the best option is to buy an old house and knock it for the site you avoid lots of hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Realistically the best option is to buy an old house and knock it for the site you avoid lots of hassle

is this the kind of deal where I have to keep 1 wall or am I completely knocking the old house ? also does the old house have to be derelict or would even a 2 bed bungalow in a livable condition qualify for knocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

The criteria for what the state the house needs to be can differ by each planning department. Have a look at their development plan and there may be a section outlining this or maybe give each a quick ring to see what their policy is.

I know I bought and knocked an old cottage in Meath and am building at the moment. I was very lucky and had no issues with the planning application apart from a further information request. We did put a lot of work into the planning application and am building to Passivhaus spec so pushed that side of the application as reason for complete demolition and not some part way as you outline. I also stuck very rigidly to their rural design guide which coincidently lines up nicely with my own personal taste.

http://www.meath.ie/CountyCouncil/Planning/MakingAPlanningApplication/MeathRuralHouseDesignGuide/

I know for Meath the house must be habitable and not used for any animal storage to be considered. However I have heard of different policies around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

ted1 wrote: »
    Unless you from wicklow, work there or have a connection with the place you can take it off the list.
    There's a reason why land is cheaper there.

Even if you are from Wicklow and work there does not allow one build anywhere in Wicklow.
    One must be from the actual townland/village.
    Oh and one must not own a house already in the county.
    Even then there can be a lot of hoops to be jumped through.
    is this the kind of deal where I have to keep 1 wall or am I completely knocking the old house ? also does the old house have to be derelict or would even a 2 bed bungalow in a livable condition qualify for knocking.

If the house is uninhabitable, hasn't been lived in for a long period then AFAIK most councils consider planning to be akin to a brand new application on a green site.
    Thus it would fall in under the local needs section 47 mullarkey.

Some counties might only give you planning to extend rather than replace. Even then the replacement might have to match what was there, just maybe a big bigger.
    Of course a Caterpillar digger or JCB could bump into it and level it.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
Advertisement