Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who should have my loyalty??

• 09-11-2014 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mickysquint

Today i was talking to the other half about Christmas, and she said that for part of my Christmas present she'll get me an NFL jersey as she knows I love the game, she asked me what team do I support so she can get that teams jersey, that made me realize that although I've been following the game for years I don't actually support a team.

Maybe its time to finally commit to a team, so I would really love to hear your opinions and pitches on who to support and maybe what made you support the team you do.

The only thing to bare in mind is that I've told the missus that we'll go to the states next year to watch a game, so where ever we go has to be half decent to keep her happy too. (I always had a bit of a soft spot for the Ravens but I've been told by American friends that Baltimore is a bit of a dive).

So give us your opinions folks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ravens, pick the Ravens!! :)

Get a jersey for the future defensive rookie of the year :cool:

While parts of Baltimore are rough that goes for every city with a team. Should you visit Baltimore you'll be in tourist spots in the inner harbour area. The football stadium and the baseball field are downtown, it's not like other cities on the outskirts miles from anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gotta be the Patriots, Boston is a beautiful city and the Patriots are a great team. You can't go wrong there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

mikemac1 wrote: »

While parts of Baltimore are rough that goes for every city with a team. Should you visit Baltimore you'll be in tourist spots in the inner harbour area. The football stadium and the baseball field are downtown, it's not like other cities on the outskirts miles from anywhere.

mack plays in oakland??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I would highly recommend the Bears. Great craic supporting these lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Lions! Not only have we unbelievably good talent in Megatron and Suh (at least for the moment), there's less than a handful of us so you'd be joining a VERY exclusive club... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

49ers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,450 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ask her to give you a contribution towards a Game Pass sub, thus you can watch Red Zone all the time.

As for US cities to visit go to New Orleans

They used to suck as a team but are now pretty good and enjoyable to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Go with the Saints OP, great stadium, great QB and the best party city in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Bears.
    Lovely city to visit. Soldier Field is very accessible from downturn.
    The drawbacks being
    A. They suck
    B. If you get a game in late season they'll be out of contention and you'll freeze. The chill coming in from Lake Michigan isn't pleasant this time of year.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Bears.
    The drawbacks being
    A. They suck
    B. If you get a game in late season they'll be out of contention and you'll freeze. The chill coming in from Lake Michigan isn't pleasant this time of year.

Plus you have to play packers twice a year is a drawback!

• Advertisement

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Bears.
    The drawbacks being
    A. They suck

Arent they also the most expensive team to see play in the league?

you should pick the team i follow because *good thing about the team i follow*

you should pick the eagles because you get to watch one of the more exciting young coaches in the league develop a talented young team and our offence is fun to watch.also we are probably consistently the best team in the league that has never won a Super Bowl so you get to be there for the first sometime over the next 2-3 years :D

also you get that extra bit of enjoyment at watching the cowboys screw them selves over annually due to them being a division rival

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Vikings fan here, stay away from us. You heart will only be danced upon repeatably. Thank you AP. Fool.

Stay well away from the Raiders as they are the worst team in the league, with the worst owner, possibly the worst stadium and a reputation for some fairly dicey fans. Dont let the hip hop thing fool you. I know people who fell for it, hook line and sinker. They are not happy fans.

If I hadn't ended with the Vikings, only because I spent a year there, I would say you should (washes mouth out with soap) go for the Packers. The only fan owned sports team in the USA, the only team in the USA which publishes it's accounts. In a league full of dodgy owners it's as good a reason as any. Tend to draft young players and bring them through, usually a good watch.

Down side, Wisconsin. Everyone likes Cheese & Beer, I get it, but Wisconsin is not cool. It's cold, but it's not cool. Green bay. Not cool.

Giants or Jets might eventually sort themselves out, you've got NY as an added draw.

Don't be a glory hunter. It'll come back to hurt you as teams rise and fall faster than in other sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Vikings fan here, stay away from us. You heart will only be danced upon repeatably. Thank you AP. Fool.

Stay well away from the Raiders as they are the worst team in the league, with the worst owner, possibly the worst stadium and a reputation for some fairly dicey fans. Dont let the hip hop thing fool you. I know people who fell for it, hook line and sinker. They are not happy fans.

If I hadn't ended with the Vikings, only because I spent a year there, I would say you should (washes mouth out with soap) go for the Packers. The only fan owned sports team in the USA, the only team in the USA which publishes it's accounts. In a league full of dodgy owners it's as good a reason as any. Tend to draft young players and bring them through, usually a good watch.

Down side, Wisconsin. Everyone likes Cheese & Beer, I get it, but Wisconsin is not cool. It's cold, but it's not cool. Green bay. Not cool.

Giants or Jets might eventually sort themselves out, you've got NY as an added draw.

Don't be a glory hunter. It'll come back to hurt you as teams rise and fall faster than in other sports.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

:rolleyes:

rolleyes at rolleyes.

PACKERS :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

To be honest I find it odd that you've been watching the sport for years but haven't gravitated towards any particular team. I watch a good few different sports regularly, and I have preferred athletes/players/teams in all of them. Isn't there any team that stands out to you, in whatever way? That can be greater respect, more entertaining, or just a feeling of "looking forward" to a particular teams' games.

Alternative answer;

Support the Packers because Clay Matthews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

mack plays in oakland??

http://www.nflshop.com/Minnesota_Vikings_Jerseys/Mens_Minnesota_Vikings_Anthony_Barr_Nike_Purple_Game_Jersey

Seriously guys, it's going to be Barr.

Who's your favourite team to watch? Go with them.

Failing that, what is your favourite jersey? Go with them.

Nobody can tell you who you should pick. I picked the team who lost the first game I sat through from start to finish. They lost but I enjoyed the Culpepper to Moss offense the Vikings had back in 2002. Since then I've gone from casual fan to die hard fan. We've not made it to a Super Bowl in the period I've been a fan never mind actually won one (ever). Success has nothing to do with how you support a team.

If you like a team that always flatter to decieve but who only has (until this draft) the ultimate stud in defensive players go Texans for JJ ****ing Watt, what I wouldn give to have him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Go with the Jets dude. its right craic following them, never a dull moment! and its a fantastic feeling when they actually get around to winning a game. Supporting a team that wins all the time must be so boring :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mickysquint

You have a great point there!
    Putin wrote: »
    Go with the Saints OP, great stadium, great QB and the best party city in the US.

I gotta be honest I do like the sound of New Orleans
    Columbia wrote: »
    To be honest I find it odd that you've been watching the sport for years but haven't gravitated towards any particular team. I watch a good few different sports regularly, and I have preferred athletes/players/teams in all of them. Isn't there any team that stands out to you, in whatever way? That can be greater respect, more entertaining, or just a feeling of "looking forward" to a particular teams' games.

Alternative answer;

Support the Packers because Clay Matthews.

Like I said, I always had a bit of a soft spot, partly because i always found Ray Lewis entertaining, I know some people hate him but I always loved the way he went on.
    If you like a team that always flatter to decieve but who only has (until this draft) the ultimate stud in defensive players go Texans for JJ ****ing Watt, what I wouldn give to have him

It did actually cross my mind about the Texans purely because of JJ watt, he's a total monster, and I have to be honest i know its a bit shallow but I do like the Texans jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mickysquint

I love the input guys, really loving the opinions. Gonna have a think about things for the next day or so and then I'll decide!

You have a great point there!

I gotta be honest I do like the sound of New Orleans

Like I said, I always had a bit of a soft spot, partly because i always found Ray Lewis entertaining, I know some people hate him but I always loved the way he went on.

It did actually cross my mind about the Texans purely because of JJ watt, he's a total monster, and I have to be honest i know its a bit shallow but I do like the Texans jerseys.

Plus now you have the other side of him and think is clowney going to be jj watt mark 2 when not injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Plus now you have the other side of him and think is clowney going to be jj watt mark 2 when not injured?

Clowney will be JJ watt mark 2 when he stops being clowney!

/hides

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Support the Chargers...why?

1. Legendary QB Ryan Leaf played for us.
    2. The Chargers always win when they are expected to.
    3. You get to play the Raiders and visit Oakland each year (locals are extremely friendly..be sure to wear your charger blue)
    4. The chargers never get injuries to star players..superb strength and conditioning program in San Diego
    5. Our field goal kickers never miss important kicks in the playoffs
    6. Our stadium is always packed and we totally outnumber the away fans.... always.
    7. You get to gloat over all our superbowl victories

..only drawback is San Diego is a kip and California in general is rubbish.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

There are 31 good choices ... and then there is the Titans.

to be honest its who you like yourself (you must have a soft spot for one or two teams at this stage)

but there is one rule..... dont pick the ****ing cowboys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

If you can't/don't pick the Chargers even after Setanta's write up, go for the Browns. Been donkeys yrs since they were competitive but I've always had a soft spot for them and this yr they are winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Don't go with the Packers.

Bunch of commies with their 'fan owned' organisation

- Most obese fans in the NFL.

-Half of them wear blaze orange hunting cammo to games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

I don't think this approach works OP.

I only really started watching the sport in my mid to late 20's and for the first few years tried to pick a team but I never truly cared for one. I spent some time in Boston, went to the Patriots, but could never really "make myself" follow them or anyone else despite telling myself I was a fan. I don't dislike them, just never revelled in their victories, or those of any other team the first few seasons, I just enjoyed the match ups rather than cheering on one side. I'll enjoy a great game no matter who is playing. A team has to come and grab you after you've been watching it for a while, maybe one or two players will impress you and you'll start to watch their games more.

Don't just jump on a current bandwagon now, would be my advice. Manning and Brady are at the later stages of their careers, if you had to pick a big team the Packers would IMO be the most likely to be guaranteed successes for the next decade with Rodgers, but personally I failed to just select one side and feel any genuine emotional attachment towards them, at least in the initial years.

In the end, after a few years watching, the Bills were the team to "grab me". It's really only the last couple of seasons I've followed them more and more. I've no idea why, they're actually pretty shy te :o Maybe I'm just "buying low"!

I pity the general Wembley fan being subjected to the Bills Jags game next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think you don't pick a team, a team picks you in the NFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

If you like crippling disappointment and underachievment with great players then the Broncos are for you! Marvel as we lose our 6th Super Bowl next year 84 -3 to the Rams in Manning's last game! Watch as we make a line stacked with all pros look liike a leaky sieve! Sit in amazement watching our latest RB plod along to 1.5 ypc! Witness Tom Brady make us his bitch another two or three times before Manning retires! Behold the coaching greatness of John Fox and Jack Del....ah **** it, i can't do it.

Don't go near us. We're all flash and no substance, we'll break your heart and once Manning's gone we'll descend into being a total dumpster fire again.

spiralism wrote: »
    If you like crippling disappointment and underachievment with great players then the Broncos are for you! Marvel as we lose our 6th Super Bowl next year 84 -3 to the Rams in Manning's last game! Watch as we make a line stacked with all pros look liike a leaky sieve! Sit in amazement watching our latest RB plod along to 1.5 ypc! Witness Tom Brady make us his bitch another two or three times before Manning retires! Behold the coaching greatness of John Fox and Jack Del....ah **** it, i can't do it.

Don't go near us. We're all flash and no substance, we'll break your heart and once Manning's gone we'll descend into being a total dumpster fire again.

oh boo hoo for you with your two superbowls and two of the all time great qbs i feel so bad for you :rolleyes:

Sit in amazement... Witness ... Behold ...

I don't think you've ever done much sitting in amazement to be honest, the amount of times the broncos have gone behind in games and you came here to say you were done with it and were turning the game off, only to discover the next morning that they had won the game...do you not think you might be a little reactionary? Just because you haven't won the Superbowl for a little while. Join the fcuking club.

• Advertisement

I don't think you've ever done much sitting in amazement to be honest, the amount of times the broncos have gone behind in games and you came here to say you were done with it and were turning the game off, only to discover the next morning that they had won the game...do you not think you might be a little reactionary? Just because you haven't won the Superbowl for a little while. Join the fcuking club.

i wish we hadn't won the Super Bowl in a while :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

We've lost more superbowls than anybody else, only have two titles because the vikings choked the NFC championship in 98 and three of the top 5 record defeats in the superbowl belong to us. We're as far removed from a title as Man United are from the Treble and that was quite a little while ago. We're a cocktease of a team really. We're in that ugly limbo along with Dallas, Cincinnati and the likes as decent teams who'll drive you to drink and never deliver the goods in the end.

Wouldn't wish this team or organisation on anybody, anyone who wants to go for someone ****e may as well go all out and pick someone like the Raiders or Browns and be done with it and anyone who wants to jump on the wagon for someone good should go all out and pull for better organisations like the Pats, Colts, Packers or Ravens. There's enough ****ing pats fans in the world though so the latter three are a good shout.

Spirilism you should suppost the raiders, at least then you constant whining about how **** your team is would be justified

We've lost more superbowls than anybody else, only have two titles because the vikings choked the NFC championship in 98 and three of the top 5 record defeats in the superbowl belong to us. We're as far removed from a title as Man United are from the Treble and that was quite a little while ago. We're a cocktease of a team really. We're in that ugly limbo along with Dallas, Cincinnati and the likes as decent teams who'll drive you to drink and never deliver the goods in the end.

Wouldn't wish this team or organisation on anybody, anyone who wants to go for someone ****e may as well go all out and pick someone like the Raiders or Browns and be done with it and anyone who wants to jump on the wagon for someone good should go all out and pull for better organisations like the Pats, Colts, Packers or Ravens. There's enough ****ing pats fans in the world though so the latter three are a good shout.
    You're not really a supporter though, you seem to get off on whining and moaning about the Broncos as if they owed you a Superbowl or something.

They're just a sports team, same as anyone else. it's nothing personal!

To be honest I think you just need to relax a little about it. It's supposed to be enjoyable!

I agree about the Pats by the way (nothing against Pats fans honestly :p...but there's just so many of them in Ireland for various reasons)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Bills lost four Superbowls in a row :(

Give them some love OP, they could use a new fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I've had Aaron Rodgers on my Fantasy team all season and I picked up the GB DEF this week. They end up being the top 2 MVPs in my league this week. I've taken this as a sign from the footballing Gods that my faith in Greenbay has been smiled upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

Don't just jump on a current bandwagon now, would be my advice. Manning and Brady are at the later stages of their careers, if you had to pick a big team the Packers would IMO be the most likely to be guaranteed successes for the next decade with Rodgers

I'm a Packers fan and if you want to use age as criteria, then it would make sense for the OP to go with Luck and The Colts. Rodgers is 31 in a few days time and Luck is 6 years younger than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Op if you havent decided yet how about the redskins, yea we are ****e at the moment but so what we have nice jerseys, get rg3 on the back and most people wont know what it means, plus washington is the capitol and cheap enough to fly there:D

I'm a Packers fan and if you want to use age as criteria, then it would make sense for the OP to go with Luck and The Colts. Rodgers is 31 in a few days time and Luck is 6 years younger than him.

we'll get another 5-7 years out of AR

Advertisement