Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info and tips for new build

Options
  • 09-11-2014 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi guys, I will be wiring my new home shortly. basically Im wondering what is the best and most straight forward unit out there that will allow me to operate just the neccesary things from my smart phone when Im not there such as security lighting,heating control, gate trigger etc. Any advice appreciated, would love to hear from people that own one or who installed one and have personal experience on the pros or cons of the system. Must be something easy to operate that can be wired with other circuits.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

hi philip,

My intruder alarm controls my heating (on/off and a 365 extensive timer). and some lighting circuits.

I can control it via an app on my phone or by texts, ]

I could not get it to trigger my gate as the range on the fob i had was not long enough and i have a pretty average driveway, I guess I could text it open but I never bothered, anyway i looked at it i had a fob in the car, so I just left it as I had it, standalone,

The lads on the security form might help more, I used X10 controllers, I have some plug top units that allow me to add things like lamps and Christmas lightings on as I need it, I can add different timers etc via a web interface.

anyway this is basic enough but functions, its not a very expensive system and it has no fancy interface, i can use my alarm keypad to turn the outputs on, or text them on remotely, or log on

I might be something that you'd be interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Philip82

Sounds good thanks Stoner I will certainly look into it. Interested to know how it works, would it mean hard wiring the required circuits to a bank of relays beside the alarm panel and switch on from there through the x10 controller you mention?? For example if I wire my outside lights or heating etc. through the relays i could then switch through controller or as normal as required. Sorry Im an old fashioned spark and Im not totally up to date on all these mod cons so forgive me if Im way off with my thinking here.

Well you've two options. The x10 has build in relays and the network is set up over your power cables so its simple . they just look like a double adaptor, or a heating switch etc.

However if you are up to speed with relays it might be easier to buy the 10 way I/O expander for the alarm panel. This would mean you'd wire all your controls from your board to the intruder alarm panel.
    The advantage of this is that as its part of the panel you can access it from the app directly. I have to text my panel to get the various items working as the x10 units don't show up on the app, although I heard its possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Have you looked at the Loxone system? I've installed one of these and will do the same in my home house. They require some effort to program but are straightforward once you get used to them. You'll have no bother wiring them though if you are a sparky already.

tedimc wrote: »
    Have you looked at the Loxone system? I've installed one of these and will do the same in my home house. They require some effort to program but are straightforward once you get used to them. You'll have no bother wiring them though if you are a sparky already.
    Where can you buy it at a good price Ted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Sorry Stoner, only replying now after a hectic end to 2014;

You can purchase the components direct from their webshop (http://www.loxone.com/enuk/purchase.html) - I've found them very good to deal with, but don't offer any discounts.

Fire me a PM with some details if you want a hand identifying the components you need, I might be able to get you a slightly better price!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Run cat 6 around the whole house, cable the room for surround sound. Personally I think relays beat wireless devices each time, so I'd rin Beldin cable to each switch, and socket that way it's allow you to operate a RTU or Plc to control each switch. Any good automation sparks could put a system together for you.

Advertisement