Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Stolen from rented house

Options
  • 09-11-2014 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just wondering can I get some information.

A fairly expensive bike was stolen from my yard in a rented house.

Can this be claimed for on the landlords house insurance?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I wouldn't think so.

Most landlords would not have content insurance for your stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭wench

The landlord has no insurable interest in your property, so he couldn't insure it even if he wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,261 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Doubt it.

thinking about it, your personal belongings don't belong to the LL, I so could he insure them legally? If he doesn't stand to lose by it being stolen, could he possibly insure it?

Edit Wench got there before me. Insurable interest is the term I was thinking of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

No. The LL can only insure something that he benefits from its continued existence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Right ok, cheers for the responses guy!

Just still in the post-robbing ughhhhh mood and thought this might be a glimmer of hope.

Thanks for squashing that hope ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Don't forget to report the robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Right ok, cheers for the responses guy!

Just still in the post-robbing ughhhhh mood and thought this might be a glimmer of hope.

Thanks for squashing that hope ;)

Maybe think about getting insurance for next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Was it a new bike? Less than 3 months old?

Your credit card may offer purchase protection... if something you bought on the credit card is stolen within 90 days you can claim. One of the benefits of credit cards!

Otherwise, insure your own contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just claim off your own insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

mrs o bumble, your posts aren't awful helpful lately. thats quite obvious, he may not have insurance. most students dont as they simple cant afford it. (not sure if op is a student)

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    mrs o bumble, your posts aren't awful helpful lately. thats quite obvious, he may not have insurance. most students dont as they simple cant afford it. (not sure if op is a student)

I am a student, just moved back to Dublin so no I dont have contents insurance.

The bike was probably the most expensive thing I own being honest.

Such is life I guess. Still sucks tough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Such is life I guess. Still sucks tough

Take it has a very expensive mistake that you wont repeat again. There is a reason why Dubliners all cycle fairly ****ty bikes. Its because they know it will probably be stolen.

OP look out for your bike on adverts, donedeal or gumtree. But call the gardai instead of approaching the guy.Some gardai are helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sorry, but I don't follow the causality there. Neither being a student or moving towns stops you from having contents insurance.

The bike may have been your single-most expensive item, but I suspect it would pall into insignificance if the value of all your other possessions were added together.

Imagine what would happen if there was a fire and you lost all your clothes and study materials.

Anyway ........................

Rather than getting into the ins and outs of how valuable my possessions are I am just going to say thanks to those who answered the question!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

RossieMan wrote: »
    mrs o bumble, your posts aren't awful helpful lately.
    Attack the post, not the poster.

Advertisement