Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mp3 player & headphones for gym

• 09-11-2014 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

hi all,

looking to get an mp3 player for the gym & a set of headphones to go with it

say around 10gb maybe

what are the new Zens like ?, had one for the last 7-8yrs and it died a few weeks ago, can't restart it or get it to charge, common fault apparently

or is it Ipod all the way ?

is it better to spend the money on the mp3 player or the headphones ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭aidanki

how do phones hold up when used as mp3 players ?

thinking of upgrading the phone to one of these

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/phones/samsung-galaxy-s-3-mini

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

They're not ideal for the gym where really you want something as unintrusive as possible IMO

phones are great as mp3 players these days as well as being a camera, for games etc. but a phone is likely to get in the way in the gym. the clip that I linked is great as it can clip onto your shorts or t-shirt, it's small and if you wear the earphone wire inside your shirt there is nothing in the way at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

aidanki wrote: »
    how do phones hold up when used as mp3 players ?

thinking of upgrading the phone to one of these

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/phones/samsung-galaxy-s-3-mini

I found my smartphone to be a bit of a nightmare in the gym because the screen gets sweaty in my pocket and when it gets 'wet' the interface jumps all over the place. Once I tried to take an incoming call and the answer button wouldn't work because of this. I use a sansa clip and I don't want to be dealing with mms/calls when i'm working out anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Sorry to drag up an old thread.
    As mentioned, the Sansa clip seems to be the go to product for gym use.

I've looked online for a new MP3 player (my Ipod classic has given up) but there's a lot to syphon through.

In the gym i use a combination of my Ipod (when it worked) and spotify on my smart phone.

I like the UI of a touch screen, where i can just slide to the next song, see the sleeve artwork etc, so would prefer something with that function. I'd also want something with bluetooth as i have bluetooth earphones.
    It can have other features of course (wifi / camera etc) but i'm not too bothered about them tbh.
    I'm possibly describing the Ipod touch here, but i'm not hung up on brand names once it's a good product (could be any make, or Chinese alternative).

32Gb min, or even 4GB with option to upgrade to 32GB with an SD card.

Second hand is an option also, and I'd have a limit of €150 (maybe €200 at a push) but if there's something out there cheaper then all the better.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

I use my phone paired with some bluetooth headphones. I prefer to go wireless, rather having the cord being stuck in some machine, or that little connection near the plug starts to break real fast.

A good thing for going with bluetooth is that you phone doesn't need to be close to your body like inside your pocket.

I went with some cheap headphones just to try it first, but surprisingly enough, all good so far :)

Of course going with a common mp3 player, my suggestion goes down the drain, as the typical mp3 player doesn't have bluetooth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I use my phone paired with some bluetooth headphones. I prefer to go wireless, rather having the cord being stuck in some machine, or that little connection near the plug starts to break real fast.

A good thing for going with bluetooth is that you phone doesn't need to be close to your body like inside your pocket.

I went with some cheap headphones just to try it first, but surprisingly enough, all good so far :)

Of course going with a common mp3 player, my suggestion goes down the drain, as the typical mp3 player doesn't have bluetooth

Thanks.
    Ideally it'd be a standalone, separate from the phone.
    If all came to all i could just upgrade my SD card (from 8GB to say 64Gb) and use my phone for everything. I've a sony xperia (U i think).

EDIT:
    I bought a 64GB micro SD on EBay for €12.50 delivered,as a cheap solution.
    I'm still looking for suggestions as my OP though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Id run that SD card through a fake tester app on pc before I used it for €12.50 tbh.

Advertisement