Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower with very low water pressure in a new house

Options
  • 09-11-2014 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hey all,

I am in the process of buying a new house. I've done a snag list, and pointed out that one of the showers in the house has very low pressure and needs to be fixed.

The builder said that the issue was low pressure from Dublin City Council and there was nothing he can do about it. He said that that area of the city it's common for there to be low water pressure. He also said that this shower wasn't connected to the water pressure pump and that couldn't be done as well.

This doesn't seem right to be me. The pressure in water in every tap in the house is fine, and, there is another shower in the house, and it's connected the water pressure pump in the boiler room and has good water pressure.

My questions are: Why can't both showers be connected to the pressure pump? He gave me very lame excuses when I asked.

Also, am I entitled to have this fixed by the builder no mater what the cost is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Electric?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 zarker

Not electric.

The heating comes from a solar panel, and is also connected to gas heating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Pay a plumber and get a second opinion. Home plumbing systems nowadays can be quite complex. Unless you have a proper diagram with exactly how the house is plumbed your wasting your time here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It is possible that there is nothing wrong. As Cuddlesworth says, plumbing systems can be complex (and "low pressure" is an unquantified measure).

A different shower head might make a useful difference. Another, slightly more expensive, solution might be to fit a pump to the shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 zarker

Thanks for the replies folks. I'll have a plumber take a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

zarker wrote: »
    Hey all,

I am in the process of buying a new house. I've done a snag list, and pointed out that one of the showers in the house has very low pressure and needs to be fixed.

The builder said that the issue was low pressure from Dublin City Council and there was nothing he can do about it. He said that that area of the city it's common for there to be low water pressure. He also said that this shower wasn't connected to the water pressure pump and that couldn't be done as well.

This doesn't seem right to be me. The pressure in water in every tap in the house is fine, and, there is another shower in the house, and it's connected the water pressure pump in the boiler room and has good water pressure.

My questions are: Why can't both showers be connected to the pressure pump? He gave me very lame excuses when I asked.

Also, am I entitled to have this fixed by the builder no mater what the cost is?

There's no way it's Dublin city councils fault as NO shower should be plumbed off the mains supply! Mains supply will vary greatly in pressure. If you shower was off the mains when the person next door turns on a tap you would feel it!

If builder is blaming the council he is trying to fob you off...

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

There's no way it's Dublin city councils fault as NO shower should be plumbed off the mains supply! Mains supply will vary greatly in pressure. If you shower was off the mains when the person next door turns on a tap you would feel it!

If builder is blaming the council he is trying to fob you off...

its not an absolute rule, some electric showers are required to be mains fed, I recently had one installed as such

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Another issue with upstairs showers is that there isn't enough height difference between the shower and the cold water storage tank in the attic. My Sisters house had terrible showers for years, plumber husband, which was only solved when they floored the attic and raised the tank into the apex of the roof from the floor.

Advertisement