Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm too young for a midlife crisis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Joe Friel reckons your IM time is x5 times your OD time. There really are too many variables to try and manage though; punctures, GI issues, windy bike, high temperatures, more GI issues :)

By all means target a time and race towards it but have other targets within the race to keep you interested. It'll be a long day if your swim ends up taking longer than you hoped for, makes your overall target unlikely, and you spend the rest of the race bemoaning this fact.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ah lads, appreciate the comments, but....smilie...smilie..there was a smilie there!! I'd love to read my log through someone else's eyes, I get the impression people take me far too seriously!
    griffin100 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Joe Friel reckons your IM time is x5 times your OD time. There really are too many variables to try and manage though; punctures, GI issues, windy bike, high temperatures, more GI issues :)

14ish hours? Fook that! 10 hours is over quicker, 3.5 times OD time would be easier....

Friday pm Club swim. Quiet in the lane, quiet in the whole pool actually...set was a little easier(shorter) than recent sets but it also felt easier with only 4/5 of us in the lane...more space, less waves. Main set 3(6x100) all in on 1:40 - 1:44 so better than I've been swimming lately probably. 35xx in all.

Saturday AM One of the guys in the club is part of the cycle4dsi spin, so I signed up for the 50K. Cycled out to Blessington, did the 50K, cycled home and then out towards Enniskerry and beyond from some more ups and downs. First time on the road bike in ages and it was great. Nice to have the break from the TT. Watch battery was running low and the GPS switched itself off at 127km :( my longest spin and it's not even fully recorded...now it doesn't count :pac: 150K
    Got home to find out the folks were on their way over so no time for a run off the bike.

Saturday PM Out for an easy run scoping out the shorter route to work and back. Got lost in about 5 different housing estates. 7K.

Sunday 1 hour slow easy run in the pheno + 1 hour slow easy swim with pb and paddles. Technique and recovery focus. Managed to get to my old pool for this. I miss my pool. :(

Crap week.

Monday 50 min run. No swimming.
    Tuesday, in Cork with work most of the day. Early start + poor nights sleep. Opted for a rest day.
    Wednesday early morning 50 min run + turbo session. Turbo session was a waste of time.
    Thursday 90 min morning swim + hill session in the park. First hill session in about 6 months. Loved it!
    Friday missed morning run. 90 min swim after work.
    Saturday, alarm wasn't set last night as I knew I could do with an extra few hours sleep after a poor sleeping week. Woke up at 6:30 feeling absolutely rotten. There was a long spin heading out of tallaght at 8 which I had hoped to make. Hadn't the energy to lift myself from the bed, when I did a wave of nausea hit. Still feeling drowsy and nauseous now so that has put the long run or long bike of the day to bed methinks. Will try to get out for an easy bike later today and long bike tomorrow.
    Haven't had a poor week in a while so I'll take this...no point risking things with 5 weeks to go. Really don't want to miss my long bike though but may need to re-evaluate that tomorrow - especailly as next two weeks are pretty big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

When is your double oly? Is that next weekend??

Yep - next saturday

Whoop whoop!!!!

Not feeling very excited right now ;) Hoping this passes quicker than the last bout anyway.

You've got loads of time. You'll be grand. ;):)

• Advertisement

Out for a short bike today. 3:03 and 83km or some crap like that...should have turned around on an hour instead of 90 minutes. Once I hit 2 hours I was toast.

Tired as I am, I got bored sitting on the couch for the second day in a row, so I spent the afternoon baking instead :D
    CFyxVAkW0AEAxa3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Nom nom nom :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You need a husband - where is the sign-up sheet?? ;)

MojoMaker wrote: »

Were you on bended knee when you typed that? ;):)

MojoMaker wrote: »

Is this for me to make cake for or to keep me otherwise entertained when I'm bored? Good with both options, but no one out there is stupid enough to put up with me! :cool:

Monday Coached swim. Died after about 20 minutes

Tuesday Nada

Wednesday Plan had turned to nada but after a decent nights sleep last night I was feeling better today. So spent the day figuring out what great training I could do for the rest of the week to have me all ready for Athy on Saturday. Got home from work and spent half an hour convincing myself that going for a run would not be stupid at all so off I went, 50 minutes, be grand. 6 minutes in I realised that I really didn't feel that great and running for 50 minutes would be really stupid, so rather than turning around and heading home, I decided to run for 25 minutes instead. Ha...I'm such an idiot. :D

So, we wave goodbye to the double olympic in Athy and hope that I'll get some description of training done over the weekend. Kick in the teeth since I only entered a couple of weeks ago and entries are still going this week. Total waste of money :(

Now mantraing ''Athy is not your race RQ...this is not the one you've worked for...''

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Do it... gwan, gwan, gwan ;)

Oryx wrote: »
    Do it... gwan, gwan, gwan ;)

haha..you're a bad influence on me! It was your post in the Tri Athy thread that had me going out for a run today. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

So, we wave goodbye to the double olympic in Athy and hope that I'll get some description of training done over the weekend. Kick in the teeth since I only entered a couple of weeks ago and entries are still going this week. Total waste of money :(

Disappointing but as you said Athy is not the goal.

haha..you're a bad influence on me! It was your post in the Tri Athy thread that had me going out for a run today. :P

You don't want to be taking advice from me. I break things. :)

• Advertisement

Disappointing but as you said Athy is not the goal.
    You don't want to be taking advice from me. I break things. :)

Can you both remind me of these things over the next couple of days...particularly friday evening. I don't expect you to get up at 5am on Saturday to text me or anything, but if you want to... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Can you both remind me of these things over the next couple of days...particularly friday evening. I don't expect you to get up at 5am on Saturday to text me or anything, but if you want to... :)

So funny RQ as you are dealing with a 'tough as nails IM' aka Oryx and a 'sure if you don't want to do it, don't IM' aka Moi!!
    Who do you listen too?:rolleyes:
    If I text it will be turn over and snuggle up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Pack the car the night before as normal and set your alarm. When it goes off then make your decision ;)

Sure doing it as a long training day would be no harm right?

Get up, show up, see how it goes. Theres no pressure, its just training.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Sure doing it as a long training day would be no harm right?

Dead right.

WoMTFU and cycle down, do the race and cycle back. You're planning on earning that tattoo aren't you? :)

I feel much better today...so, y'know...the car will be filled and the alarm will be set...we'll see if I can be assed getting out of bed in the morning (or if it's raining)

I feel much better today...so, y'know...the car will be filled and the alarm will be set...we'll see if I can be assed getting out of bed in the morning (or if it's raining)
    No rain forecast till 2pm. Good news, huh?

Get up, show up, see how it goes. Theres no pressure, its just training.

Not worried about the result. It wasn't ever a flat out race. It's about being sensible enough to see the negatives of racing - the risk of prolonging being sick or relapsing and missing further training.

• Advertisement

Then don't even come close to racing this....just stay comfortable for the entire distance and let this be your dress rehearsal to get some of the kinks out for the big day in a few weeks. Good grief, what luxury to be able soak up the atmosphere and energy without any time/performance pressure on you! Rare. I say go and just enjoy the day!!! And if you want, I'll wake your @ss up with a call tonight before I go to bed - with the time difference, it should be about perfect. ;):)

Advertisement