Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm too young for a midlife crisis

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Izoard wrote: »
    Too late - um1 has been posting to the dark side recently - once Krusty moves over, they will have to shut the hairy-legged forum for good...

Ray is a permanent resident over here. Won't be long before he's doing an Ironman himself.

Swim tonight - 15 x 100m off 2:15. These were faster than I expected them to be - usually find 100s to be painfully slow in this pool. Nice and steady.
    1:54 1:54 1:49 1:52 1:46
    1:49 1:51 1:47 1:48 1:51
    1:48 1:47 1:48 1:47 1:49

Shoulder twinging a bit this week, maintenance treatment needed I think.

Some guy got into the lane while I was doing the first one. Got rid of him by two lengths. New PB for me there. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Swim tonight - 15 x 100m off 2:15. These were faster than I expected them to be - usually find 100s to be painfully slow in this pool. Nice and steady.

Good progress from you.

That's a lot of rest between reps though!

(Good cop, bad cop)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Good progress from you.

(Good cop, bad cop)

Doing the set that was sent. Who am I to argue with it! :)

Plenty of rest was to allow to focus on the stroke. Comfortable at the end of each rep rather than gasping for breath. Rest did feel long...but effective to keep it steady and focused. Based on recent times for 100s here I would have thought I'd only be getting ~10 seconds to be honest. Maybe underestimating myself a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Shoulder twinging a bit this week, maintenance treatment needed I think.

Some guy got into the lane while I was doing the first one. Got rid of him by two lengths. New PB for me there. :cool:

Nice set. Maybe next time do 100 x 10 off 2 mins ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Ray is a permanent resident over here. Won't be long before he's doing an Ironman himself.

Can I do one of those Ironman things where you hold on to a buoy and get towed through the water? I understand this is pretty common?
    755710-water-skiing-baby.gif

Then (if I understand this thing correctly) you find a fast cyclist, sit behind them, and eat the picnic you packed.
    Don't know if that is ideal preparation for a good run though :confused:

RayCun wrote: »
    Can I do one of those Ironman things where you hold on to a buoy and get towed through the water? I understand this is pretty common?
    755710-water-skiing-baby.gif

Then (if I understand this thing correctly) you find a fast cyclist, sit behind them, and eat the picnic you packed.
    Don't know if that is ideal preparation for a good run though :confused:

You'll have to go to a US IM for that. None of that in Europe

griffin100 wrote: »
    Nice set. Maybe next time do 100 x 10 off 2 mins ??

Thats not on any of my current swim sets ;)

I would generally swim off 2 in group swims, depending on what the point of the session is. I'm pretty sure that was the fastest session I've done in my local pool - first two being 1:54 would be about the best I would have expected.
    Would be reluctant to use last night as any sort of guide to my swimming ability as it's unusual for me to knock that out, when solo swimming lately anyway, at my best in the club swims I used to do I'd probably have been 1:45/1:50. Not sure if its that pool (some pools seem easier to swim in?). Wouldn't expect myself to hit a session like that again - good to see that be an easy steady pace but I'd still expect to be killing myself to hit 2 there next time!

Times like the above would have been hit in club swims ages ago...but that would have been due to a strong kick, drafting and windmilling rather than steady, controlled and comfortable. I'm currently on my longest undisrupted run of training of the year so it could be just that I'm actually getting fit or something crazy like that as run training also going well.

*touches every piece of wood in the office*

MUST NOT JINX MYSELF!!!!

Friday As a break from the norm, the coach had me doing a run session today. Plan was 8 x 800m at 8K - 10K pace. Idea being to get faster as you go along. Now, it's a long time since I raced so I honestly have no idea what my 8k or my 10k pace should be. Not meant to be redlining for these anyway so I guesstimated. Too comfortable but again, no HRM to compare. Better than recent attempts at 800s anyway. Seem to have the focus back for running - stress levels for half of this year were too high which was incredibly detrimental to my running (and my health). Had not focus, motivation or enjoyment for running. Unreal how much easier and enjoyable this was compared to the mental anguish of this session in August.

3:30 3:32 3:26 3:37
    3:31 3:40 3:23 3:22

Was comfortably hitting 3:10s for this in February and March so I'd like to hit that again before I start getting slow(er) again :P

2 x run, 1 x bike and 1 x swim planned for the weekend. Hope to get out early tomorrow to try fit everything in, weather sounds like its going to be nasty on Sunday but will see. Maybe no harm to just throw the bike up on the turbo instead of getting on the road and check that it still works...could even leave it up there for a midweek session or something mad like that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

. Not sure if its that pool (some pools seem easier to swim in?).

There are definitely fast pools and slow pools. And some of what can affect fast/slow is: lane lines, types of pool walls, which lane you are in, and the depth of the pool.

• Advertisement

Saturday AM Plan 50 - 60 min run. Was going to leave this to the afternoon and head out on the bike but I was late for my meetup so hit the park for a run instead. Nice and easy just one lap of the 15 acres and back home via the long way. 65 mins in total.

Saturday PM Hit the pool for swim number 4 of the week.
    Steady swim
    400 - 7:55
    2 x 200 - 3:58, 4:00
    8 x 100 - can't remember off the top of my head 1:58 - 2:02

Would have been working v. hard to hit the sort of times I hit on Thursday...though with the 400s and 200s perhaps I'd just sunk into that steady 2 minute pace.

Sunday AM Long bike. Out early for this, 80K in about 3:20 by the time I got home...which is probably the longest spin I've done in about 2 years :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Good progress from you.

(Good cop, bad cop)

Id say when the focus is on good form take the rest allocated. Lots of time to do im pace 100s when we get into 2015!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Mr Tango wrote: »
    Id say when the focus is on good form take the rest allocated. Lots of time to do im pace 100s when we get into 2015!!!!

I didn't realise RQ was being swim coached. Always trust the coach over internet advice!

Mr Tango wrote: »

Slowing down to come in on 2 so? Grand!

Sunday PM 40 min run. Easy enough 4.5 miles. This was meant to be a hilly run but I guess I was just being cautious after the bike, legs felt fine I probably could have got a decent hill session done, just decided to switch it to an easy one after the long bike. That and I was more concerned with eating than driving to the park.

Monday AM Plan was for 60 min run, 42 min run done before work. Changed my route around last week to take out a couple of roads...need to find another loop to thrown in another 10 mins.

Monday PM Coached swim

Tueaday AM Same as Monday, plan was for 60 min run, same route as yesterday, a little more tired and a little slower. Nice and easy HR about 135.

Tuesday PM Group swim. Felt a bit iffy going to this, stomach a bit unsettled. It was fairly slow anyway but felt very messy - 50's were slow enough to make the legs sink so the focus switched to keeping the core engaged and hips up.

Monday AM Plan was for 60 min run, 42 min run done before work. Changed my route around last week to take out a couple of roads...need to find another loop to thrown in another 10 mins.

42 + 10 = 52. ???? So you'd only be 8 minutes short of your run plan instead of 18?? ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    42 + 10 = 52. ???? So you'd only be 8 minutes short of your run plan instead of 18?? ;)

That's correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

60ish minutes ;)

They'd normally be in the plan as 50 - 60 or 60 - 70 mins, easy runs are about getting out running easy and getting recovery going than hitting something exact - it would be very rare for me to do 70 minutes when it's a 60 - 70 minute run. They're meant to be easy, there's a stage where an easy run transitions to a not so easy run and then you're doing the wrong session which would transition messing up todays interval session. We would never aim to hit exactly what the plan says on easy days the idea is to do what you can.

Wednesday Plan S&C and 8 x 800m. Done - nothing. Feeling a bit tired, stomach still a bit iffy. Fell asleep when I got in from work but didn't sleep well that night thinking about freaking work stuff.

Thursday Plan 60 min AM run, PM swim. Done - nothing.

Friday Had just planned for a beer day / swim but since I'm a runner an all :pac: I was a bit panicked about not running 3 days in row. Subbed in Thursdays run, well did Mondays route, albeit a little slower.
    Swim in the pm...the 15x100m session from last week again. Horrendous. No focus, no interest. Time in the water though so.

Saturday Just a 80 min run. Treated myself to a lie in and went shopping. :D

Work stuff taking up some extra time and increasing stress levels this week and being a girl :mad: ruined Wednesday and Thursday for me (I get extremely tired). That's how it goes though, can't change either of these so have to live with it and try to find a way to work around it.

Have a wee, tiny niggle on the heel of my foot and the run plan is to either do full training or do a pre-race week (XC next sunday) don't think I'm racing XC but with the heel injury in mind I may sub in the easy run week to try tackle that before it gets worse. It's been like that a couple of weeks and since I'm predominantly a midfoot striker probably isn't helping. Some quality foam rolling and changing my shoes around should do the trick.

Did you secure entry to Donadea??

• Advertisement

Did you secure entry to Donadea??

Haven't tried. Yet. :)

Haven't tried. Yet. :)

You better start sweet talking Anto. ;)

You better start sweet talking Anto. ;)

I'll put a VIP entry in when they open up!

The week fell apart on me a bit...limited to a swim today after binning my planned spin this morning when my nephew turned up at my door with buzz lightyear in his arms at 9am. :D
    Swim wasn't great and I've been pretty much layed out on the couch feeling tired most of the day, fell asleep in the afternoon (my bacon joint was simmering on the cooker and now ruined...no breakfast for me in work on Monday and Tuesday :( ). So maybe taking it easy over the weekend was a good thing. Feel like I'm coming down with something as I'm tired and coughing but could also be just that I've had a stressy week.
    Easy week being slotted in is a definite now just to try ward off anything unpleasant. Taking Thursday off work so will get out for a long (lonely) spin on Thursday as I may not get out on Sunday.

Are you celebrating Thanksgiving on Thursday?? ;)
    <cough>

Are you celebrating Thanksgiving on Thursday?? ;)
    <cough>

I'm just wasting away the last of my holidays. Spending the rest of the day with my other nephew. :)

Not much training done this week. Anyone on here that knows me or who has read my training log over the last few years will know I always had a rather stupid tendency to train and race through anything. I have learnt my lessons and have had more than my share of DNS's over the last couple of years but I know that while it's a tough call, it's the right one. So woke up on Monday, resting heart rate still about 15 - 20 beats too high and threw the running gear in the car decided I'd run at lunch if I felt ok. Could still feel something lingering but felt fine, wasn't feeling sick other than a wee bit tired. At lunch I opted for saving myself for the evenings coached swim.

Car wouldn't start on Tuesday morning so missed morning run, same thing at lunch as monday. HR was coming down but still high. Swimming is easier on the body, even a hard swim so saved myself for the swim. Voice started going in the afternoon...after the swim I thought...uh oh...

Woke up Wednesday, couldn't talk...but resting hr was only about 5 - 10 beats high. Hmmm...had to take the day off work and rested up (plus an easy 30 minute run)

Thursday my original plan would have been 30 min run in the AM and a swim in the evening. Limited to an easy 30 min run...voice back...coughing a good bit and sore chest....but feel fine. Tough call this week as I feel absolutely fine but I'm clearly not, but I was intending on having an easy one so no big deal to not be doing much.

My run coach is very much a ''you don't train at all'' when you are sick kinda guy...which was a bit crazy for me to adjust to...but over the last year I've found that to be beneficial. There is really nothing to be gained by training through it...I don't feel ill though so it's ok for me to do light training through it...and hard swims as they're easier on the body than running. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i think being sick like that is worse than a proper injury, it's easier to stop when it's an injury. colds and the like are very hard to resist just pushing through. right call though.

Resting Heart Rate today - 56
    Down from over 70...still a good few beats too high, all signs good for getting out on the bike at the weekend...oh yippeee....

• Advertisement

Friday - off
    Saturday - swim
    Sunday - 80k bike

3 swim, 2 run and 1 bike...first week (ever probably) where cycling was the most time dominant discipline ;)

Still coughing a bit...but pretty much over it now I think

Today 38 min run + coached swim

Advertisement