Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm too young for a midlife crisis

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Take a GUILT FREE day off before trying again. Right now youre behind, and chasing to catch up. Take a day off as a buffer. It helps mentally as well as physically.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Is it time for an easy week or even a week off? Sounds like (training) stress accumulation - hard one last week, or recently?
    Oryx wrote: »
    Take a GUILT FREE day off before trying again. Right now youre behind, and chasing to catch up. Take a day off as a buffer. It helps mentally as well as physically.

Yeah thats why I took Tuesday off, trust me, no guilt there! I was mentally tired really rather than physically tired. Not bothered about what I get done this week and I'm ok with that - you're going to have your off weeks, your weeks where you're too busy because of work/life etc or where you're sick. Busy this weekend too so no pressure for training over the weekend either. I think I'd written this month off two weeks ago anyway as it's been hectic for me.
    If I was still in my block, this would have been my easy week anyway so I'm not too concerned and I know it's more so because of everything else going on work etc rather than me just being tired of training. Life can leave you completely disinterested in training sometimes. Enjoying the bit of training I've done this week, just not bothered putting any extra effort in,

Just trying to plan how I'm going to manage the next 4 weeks if I do start the new block (as originally planned) on Monday as I'm off the week of Paddys day and the plan was for a solid training week - but that would be my easy week in a normal 3/1 block. So perhaps now two full weeks > 1 easier week > Paddy's week > easy week is probably how I'll manage it now.

My concern is that stress is going to have me sick again, I can manage my pain levels when not stressed but stress aggravates it. Training helps manage stress, if pain levels are high, they can be too high to train, vicious circle really. :)

So, I keep dancing around this in my posts. Any of you who've been reading my moany ramblings regularly for long enough will know that a few years ago I had a tumour removed from my bronchial tube and still count myself extremely lucky that I escaped with two lungs. I've had my ups and downs since but 2014 was a really poor year for me, I got sick around May/June time with persistent excruciating to bearable to excruciating stomach/bowel pain and some bearable random chest pain. Following numerous trips to the GP insisting that something was wrong, I got referred to the hospital.
    A camera down my oesphagus and into my stomach revealed that I had a bad case of oesphagitis, which is generally caused by heartburn/stomach acid. Only, I never get heartburn, it also revealed unusual cell growth in my stomach. After two scopes and biopsies, results have so far been 'inconclusive' but it's something that should not be there.
    The oesphagitis explains the chest pain and discomfort. The cause of it is pretty much unknown, currently on medication to reduce the amount of acid my stomach produces to hopefully rule this as the cause of it rather than it being a tumor and awaiting further tests...and tests related to the bowel pain and with my medical history, they want to cover off everything.
    My history puts the odds against me a little bit and my doctors are thankfully not ones to wrap things in cotton wool so I know exactly where I stand...however, I'm confident everything will be just a big whohaw over nothing. I'll miss probably the guts of a week of training sometime in March or April and in the back of my mind I know that the Ironman I'm training for, may never happen. I am quite adamant that I would do it no matter what, God knows I've already invested enough money in the race! ;)

I have my bad days and it can throw training off but I'm mostly pain free, feel fitter and healthier than I've been in years and loving every training session I do (including, surprisingly, the 6am swims). As per last post though, if I get stressed, my pain levels can increase and that can leave me bedbound so I try to keep work/life stress levels to a minimum. Only to find out yesterday that dad might have to have heart surgery - my poor mother! :)

Thursday Swim + run. Neither was anything to write home about.

Friday Woke up at 4am coughing, *drat* didn't see that coming. Tired still on Friday. Had my swim gear in the car for club swim but ducked out of it as didn't see the point. Early to bed.

Saturday Late up. Not feeling the greatest had already decided yesterday I wasn't training today. Had hoped to do the clubs 20K TT to see how I'm faring on the bike and was almost still going to go when I woke up at 7am...went back to sleep instead, wouldn't have got what I wanted out of it. Moving house this weekend anyway so was tied up with house moving stuff today. Got the call yesterday that my TT bike is now ready (once I choose a saddle) but not sure now I'll make it up to pick it up tomorrow so may have to wait till next weekend :(

Shame I didn't realise I wouldn't be training this weekend, could've booked the bike in for a damn service!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Thats the perfect sofa from which to admire that nice bike ;) Keep her between the ditches!

It's certainly not going out in weather like todays ;)

Can't wait to get it on the turbo at least. A nice early spin in an empty phoenix park on a Sunday morning will be my first outing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

It's certainly not going out in weather like todays ;)

You got lucky - about 2 hours into that headwind today I just wanted to pack it in altogether - soul destroying :(

The Argon is a lovely bike, what size is that, it looks tiny!

catweazle wrote: »
    You got lucky - about 2 hours into that headwind today I just wanted to pack it in altogether - soul destroying :(

The Argon is a lovely bike, what size is that, it looks tiny!

It is tiny! XS frame, I'm 5'2''. Reached perfection early so stopped growing ye' know. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I thought that was you but wasn't entirely sure! I was in the vicinity when you were getting your bike fit. The Mermaid was having gait analysis and all that stuff done and because they were so busy we were just standing around for ages. I bought a pair of Kinvaras that I really don't need. A successful trip!
    Best of luck, bike looked great.

• Advertisement

There was no one in VeloMotion when I arrived. Was very lucky not to walk out with a pair of Kinvara's myself. Shame I didn't realise you were there yourself. Jammers in there today, says a lot about a shop when people wait around like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Nice!!! When are you getting the rest of the bike setup*?

*Stabilisers

Long time since I've fallen off the bike...though I have had two skids lately...one that left me head on with a car last week, I maintained composure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Did not know about the latest but I rest my case! :)

Stay safe.

AKW wrote: »
    Did not know about the latest but I rest my case! :)

Stay safe.

Skidded on something on the road obviously and still managed to stay on the bike ;)

Anyway...after 3 days off...busy days so not even much rest. Got back to training this morning. I feel fat and lazy after a week of doing next to nothing :D

Monday AM Out early for a run. It was cold. Snowing. Paths like icerinks. Awesome. Run was slow as I had to either hop up on the grass verge or watch my footing. Cut run a bit short as I accidently took the wrong turn on the way back towards the office. Away with the fairies still. Least I went back towards the office this week, last week I ran away from it rather than to it! :D
    40 mins easy, just under 9 minute pace...had been running these at 8:30ish for easy pace so this isn't bad considering the weather and the bit of time off. Hopefully can get back on track this week now. Living about 10 min drive from work now (cycling distance woohoo) so the work run routes will be on overkill for a while until I figure out some new (and safe) places to run. Not going to go crazy this week, want to get a turbo session on the new bike but I'm in Wexford on Sunday for a 5K so will likely miss my second turbo session. Need to get a loooonnnnng bike in on Sat.

Kurt will be happy to hear, I'm right by three rock now, plenty of opportunities to hit up the uphill runs once I have this pesky Ironman out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Kurt will be happy to hear, I'm right by three rock now, plenty of opportunities to hit up the uphill runs once I have this pesky Ironman out of the way.

FWIW I'm doing a lot of planks these days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Sounds like you moved the other side of the city? I guess not so much cycling in the Park anymore, pity.

Anyway good to hear you are feeling a bit better, your post from last week was a tough one to read.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    FWIW I'm doing a lot of planks these days ;)

Took me the guts of 24 hours to 'get' that.

Monday PM Worlds worst swim. Worse than last week. Sluggish. Slow. Messy. Glands sore on left side of neck when I was going to bed last night so no early alarm set this morning. On a terrible run of form. :(
    Feels better today, a lot less tender...but getting up at 7:30 when it was BRIGHT OUTSIDE was pretty nice this morning. :)

Tuesday AM Stayed in bed. Becoming a Tuesday morning habit throughout Feb.

Hope to get on the turbo tonight. Need to get the TT going. :D Hope turbo is not bust, didn't get a chance to have a proper look at it over the weekend.

February has been a truly awful month, I felt fine going swimming last night and the session was awful. Didn't feel great afterwards with the tender glands so maybe that was the reason rather than the pile of crap training I've done over the last 3 weeks or so (is it only 3 weeks? why does good training fly by but bad training always feels like an eternity!)

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Sounds like you moved the other side of the city? I guess not so much cycling in the Park anymore, pity.

Anyway good to hear you are feeling a bit better, your post from last week was a tough one to read.

Cheers. :) Yep, moved out to Sandyford. My bikes haven't moved yet so will be cycling from there for a few weeks yet. Need one over here though, the 4k drive to work took 20 minutes!

Tuesday PM Painstakingly moved the turbo wheel from piece of crap bike to the TT and set TT up on the turbo. I was more aiming towards getting into a comfortable position and just testing out the TT bike. Of course I still aimed towards the planned session while I did this but was cutting reps in half (initially) to try keep things a bit easier. By the time I hit rep 3 (what should have been my final rep) it stopped being a slog and started feeling good and easy. I was hitting the numbers I expected to hit, so 'ah sure another rep wouldn't hurt'...rep 4 was stronger...easier..smoother...''no gains to be made by pushing RQ'' said the angel on my shoulder and I agreed and switched from recover to a warm down.

50 mins and 20k. Confidence boosting session. Lots of work to do to freshen myself up, theres been fitness lost over the last few weeks, some lost strength and a serious amount of lost confidence. One good week (next week, not this week) and I'll be fine. I've lots of time, right? :confused:

• Advertisement

Wednesday AM Easy 43 minute run. 8km. Starting to feel a little easier, took serious motivation to get out of bed for this.

Wednesday PM Swim. Could go on all sorts of rants about this. Fast lane + slow people = angry RQ. Women. Lane etiquette. Someone in the lane had a 5400m set pinned to her drink bottle (and two gels and a banana by the side of the pool. She must've been hungry...) anyway...you'd think someone doing a 5400m set would know not to push off after their recovery as a swimmer who has already overtaken them numerous times approaches...there was two of them who seemed to be together and were similarly thick. They insisted on pushing off and turning at the wall even though they knew I was stuck behind them and was going to overtake them. AGH!!!
    Anyway main set was
    2 x 200m (3:41, 3:42 (with traffic))
    2 x 400m (7:28, 7:33 (seriously get out of the ****ing way))
    2 x 200m (3:50, 3:48)

Got some dirty looks as I got out of the pool. Strange since I was actually well behaved and stopped, stood up, waited for whichever whale was currently sitting ahead of me to build a gap before swimming again (not that it took long to make the gap up) rather than aggressively overtaking like I normally do. :)

This swim was better. Still feel a bit windmilly and finished it off with some pull buoy 100s. A couple of more decent swims and I'll feel back on track...though may have to miss the 6am slot tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Wednesday AM Easy 43 minute run. 8km. Starting to feel a little easier, took serious motivation to get out of bed for this.

Wednesday PM Swim. Could go on all sorts of rants about this. Fast lane + slow people = angry RQ. Women. Lane etiquette. Someone in the lane had a 5400m set pinned to her drink bottle (and two gels and a banana by the side of the pool. She must've been hungry...) anyway...you'd think someone doing a 5400m set would know not to push off after their recovery as a swimmer who has already overtaken them numerous times approaches...there was two of them who seemed to be together and were similarly thick. They insisted on pushing off and turning at the wall even though they knew I was stuck behind them and was going to overtake them. AGH!!!
    Anyway main set was
    2 x 200m (3:41, 3:42 (with traffic))
    2 x 400m (7:28, 7:33 (seriously get out of the ****ing way))
    2 x 200m (3:50, 3:48)

Got some dirty looks as I got out of the pool. Strange since I was actually well behaved and stopped, stood up, waited for whichever whale was currently sitting ahead of me to build a gap before swimming again (not that it took long to make the gap up) rather than aggressively overtaking like I normally do. :)

This swim was better. Still feel a bit windmilly and finished it off with some pull buoy 100s. A couple of more decent swims and I'll feel back on track...though may have to miss the 6am slot tomorrow morning.

She's baaaack!!! Glad to see you're feeling better. ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Good to see. I'm with you on the busy lanes and poor etiquette nonsense - boils my blood when I meet it too and I'm very concious to make sure I don't intrude on anyone else when I'm swimming, I'd be mortified if I thought somebody was thinking this about me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm terrified to go into the fast lane even when it seems like the right choice because I don't want to get in the way of people who are genuinely fast, so it gets on my wick when I notice people who are much slower than me there...

I'm terrified to go into the fast lane even when it seems like the right choice because I don't want to get in the way of people who are genuinely fast, so it gets on my wick when I notice people who are much slower than me there...

Generally, I'll be the fastest one there. On the rare occasion (once every 6 months) someone is there that is faster than me I'll either ensure to keep out of their way or I'll move out of the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I find a loud AH FOR FCUKS SAKE said as they push of in front of you can work well (said either with your face above or in the water).

griffin100 wrote: »
    I find a loud AH FOR FCUKS SAKE said as they push of in front of you can work well (said either with your face above or in the water).

Haha I do that too.
    I only have this problem with women, again, it is extremely, extremely rare for a man to do this. Usually men will stop and wait, if I catch them mid lane or on the approach to the wall they'll stop at the wall and let me go.

It just struck me that if she is doing a 5400m set, she swims, she knows you don't push off the wall when a swimmer who is faster than you approaches, she knows I was running into her and stopping behind her (you can feel it) yet continued to push off...even if you can't feel someone behind you, you can see them as you turn and push off.
    Someone else who was faster and doing tumble turns etc had already moved out of the lane to the free swim area...

Thursday AM Didn't sign up for swimming but knew there was a couple of spaces available in my lane. Alarm went off at 5:30. Turned it off and went back to sleep. :) Living 10 mins from work now will require a lot more motivation to get up for morning training!

Thursday PM RUNNING!!!!!!!! The guts of todays run plan was 6 x 1k...not know the area too well, thought I'd have to go back out to the industrial estate for this, but spotted a nice stretch in Ballinteer on my way in last night. Thought, this looks fairly flat (looks in the car can be extremely deceiving) and could be good for reps. So headed out there and the stretch is just over 1k so perfect for these.
    6 x 1K @ 8k - 10k pace. These were off pace @ 45 min 10K pace but to be honest, I'm crap at 10ks so if I was to go and run one this weekend I'd probably be lucky to break 45 so we'll call that session a success ;) HR's way too low for this but at least the legs were moving a bit again.

Hoping to hit the pool again tomorrow then have to try plan out my weekend. Signed up to the Ben5K in Wexford this weekend but I'm on call and there is no chance I'll be able to race it even if it is only 5k. Will see what training I get done on Saturday and try to plan what I can squeeze in on Sunday. Could do the 5K at the end of a long run if I can get down to Wexford early enough. Would hate to miss this race given what it's for.

Friday PM Swim. Did not belong in the club fast lane last night....Fine for the first hour or so, able to hold the pace but once we moved onto 200's for the last 15 mins I was a goner.

Saturday AM 120k on the cards for today. Wasn't overly confident about heading out with the group for this as it'd be a 30k average kinda group and I've not been out for 2 weeks...and then it was a bit of a struggle. First 60k or so was ok, except on the hills as we got towards 60/70k. ITB can start to pull on the bike when fitness/strength drops off a bit so the uphills were a killer. The way back was a slog, had to be carried home. Sally Gap and Killiney were easier than this two weeks ago, has my fitness dropped this much in 3/4 weeks? This pace would have been fine a few weeks ago, even with the bit of wind etc
    129k in 4:44. Pace dropped off on the way back due to my struggling and they refused to f*ck off and leave me on my own :D
    Got home and started rolling the bike through the house, discovered the back brake was rubbing. Well that may have been a factor...such a ditz.

Nice to get the longer spin in and get this boxed off by lunch time Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Nice to get the longer spin in and get this boxed off by lunch time Saturday.

Jammy bitch - well done! I got a solid run in today but I would have preferred to have done a bike as the weather looks **** again for tomorrow :(

Advertisement