Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm too young for a midlife crisis

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

catweazle wrote: »
    Jammy bitch - well done! I got a solid run in today but I would have preferred to have done a bike as the weather looks **** again for tomorrow :(

At least you'll be ahead of my on cycling km's for march from the off...but if you want to take a rest day, you should...you wouldn't want to risk getting blown off your bike. :)

Sunday AM Long run plan for the week 2 hours easy (max 141) + 20 minutes steady (max 165). Set off early for this and easy started out a bit slow, once I warmed up and settled in, pace started lifting and settled into 8/8:15 pace. Bumped into some of the tri club about 4/5 miles in and turned round and ran with them a bit before turning off - struggled a bit with stomach pain but nothing too bad today. 1:57 22km - saturated and cold, hands were like ice blocks as I came to the end of the 2 hours. Seriously did not want to continue on. Got to the car, changed top, jacker and gloves...nice and toasty and set off for my last 20 mins. Struggled to get going and got nowhere near what I should have. 18:20 / 4 km / max 149

Sunday PM 1hr easy spinning on the TT bike on turbo. 25km.

Much better this week and back up to 14/15 hours but definitely a little off pace. Down in Cork with work on Tuesday and Wednesday so thats going to throw things off a bit for this week. Hope to at least get a run done Tuesday evening and hop on the turbo when I get home Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I thought we would have seen you down in Wexford yesterday?

There was chocolate biscuit cake in the hall after, I was thinking maybe you made it?

menoscemo wrote: »
    I thought we would have seen you down in Wexford yesterday?

There was chocolate biscuit cake in the hall after, I was thinking maybe you made it?

Nope, didn't make it down. Hoped to get down to help out and bring cake on Saturday but with the move didn't have the time :( Hope it was a good event, Bernard deserves it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nope, didn't make it down. Hoped to get down to help out and bring cake on Saturday but with the move didn't have the time :( Hope it was a good event, Bernard deserves it!

It was an absolutely brilliant event; made even better by the absolute torrent of wind and rain during the race. As soon as we stopped the weather was lovely!!!

• Advertisement

Monday Tired all day, had opted to skip my morning run and slip it in later in the week. Cheat a bit sore so ended up asleep in bed and missed coached swim. Only realised today that I came back from 3 days off to do 7 days in a row so a day off was probably a good idea...

Tuesday Another Tuesday morning run missed. Need to get my act back together. Was actually up and ready for this but knew it would be a fruitless attempt at a season with a) icy paths and b) tired and low motivation. Went back inside for breakfast. I can rejig my run training for the week if needs must

Hit the turbo this evening - 50 min easy 20k followed by 15 min run.

Wednesday AM Up for a run. Plan was 60 min easy. Actual run 54 min easy @8:40 pace. Easy pace and HR creeping down again. Still feeling very tired and like I'm still harbouring an infection. Frustrating as hell.

Wednesday PM Hit the pool for an easy swim. Took a lot of motivation to move for this but with 5 days since my last swim I needed to get back in the water. Feeling tired beforehand I opted for the 'recovery' set Tango sent on. Felt better than I expected and nice to be feeling more and more comfortable in the water.

Hoped to return to Thursday morning swims and even went to bed before 11pm to facilitate...when I went to sign up for it there were no spaces left. Had been 4 left earlier in the day! :(
    Switched my 5:30 alarms off and went to sleep. Only occurred to me after I got up this morning I could have gone to the local council pool here that opens at 6:30. I'm totally not used to having a pool thats open that early nearby, but this could be a good option for me now for morning swims...evening swims however, a no go there as they don't have lanes set up till 9pm and i'm f*cked if I'm swimming widths or paying 700 quid a year for Westwood/UCD or David Lloyds...

Thursday PM 15 min w/u > 4x800 at 3K pace > 5 x 300 cruise intervals into 200s > 15 min w/d
    Crap run...didn't hit my paces at all....still legs spinning faster and getting back on track again. Couple of weeks before running will get back on track methinks.

Friday AM Had Friday off work so took an easy run around the new area...which was really just a run around Marlay park. Have some serious exploring to do.

Friday PM Was out Friday night so had to get this done early enough. Would like to be trying my faster swims in a group right now to keep me honest, was feeling a bit less tired on Friday but had no faith in myself to get a good swim out of myself.
    Threshold session
    200m w/u
    8x25 kick
    2 x 400 (7:29, 7:25)
    2x(2x200, 4x100)
    3:40, 3:37
    1:46, 1:43, 1:45, 1:44

3:44, 3:44
    1:52, 1:50, 1:47, 1:47

200 steady

A lot better than I expected...not quite threshold but better than any swim I've done in the last two weeks, by a longshot.

Saturday Plan was a 2:15 run and a 90 min turbo.
    About 2 hours sleep on Fri night. 46 min easy swim and a 40 min struggled run was the training for the day. Not good. Busy day though so found it hard to fit this in around trying to catch up on missed sleep from Friday night.

Sunday AM Easy bike. 100k on the button in 3:48.Too short but really enjoyable spin....nice day for it.

Down on hours severly this week but I always knew I would be this week with work stuff. Shame I didn't manage to make much of the weekend but made the most of what I had to work with this week.

Monday AM Morning run. Plan was 50 mins easy. Easy pace rising so 46 mins done on my normal 50 min route. 46 min / 8.6km

Monday PM Coached swim. Swimming is still very much off...not feeling comfortable in the water at the moment. Confidence definitely way down here. It'll come back. Still not feeling 100% so sluggishness probably still just showing in the pool. Swimming well every other swim so not too concerned, it'll come back together. 45 min / 1750m (I think)

It was pointed out to be by three different people that I referred to my Sunday spin as 'only' 100k...who'd have thunk I'd ever be saying that :D surprised still how easy it felt and virtually no recovery...fitness/endurance probably much better than I think it is!

Tuesday AM 3 x 12 min @ AT pace. Great run session - HR's a little low for AT pace but hitting/holding 7min miles for each interval. So good to be back at that level. Really, really enjoyed this one. I miss sessions like this. 70 min / 14.5km

Tuesday PM Was meant to be swimming this evening but had to help the mother with some stuff after work so missed club swim and hit the turbo instead. IM effort pyramid - 48 mins / 20km

There's a space available in our Monday swim sessions if anyone is looking for a good coached swim. 9pm Mondays in Tallaght Leisure centre, you'd need to be able to swim 7:30/8 mins for 400m but jackyback used to do these sessions, so if he can do them anyone can :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Good god, I'm in my PJs at 9pm during the week! I can't even imagine starting a coached swim session at that hour! :eek: ;)

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Good god, I'm in my PJs at 9pm during the week! I can't even imagine starting a coached swim session at that hour! :eek: ;)

It's late alright but the bloody underwater hockey players use the pool before us...a night of staring at the ceiling after the hard ones. Luckily, I'm swimming like JB at the moment so I'm able to sleep after them as not too wired ;)

It's late alright but the bloody underwater hockey players use the pool before us...a night of staring at the ceiling after the hard ones. Luckily, I'm swimming like JB at the moment so I'm able to sleep after them as not too wired ;)

Underwater hockey??? :confused: WTF?? I had to google this one....it's real!! :eek: I honestly thought you were kidding - being silly. But it's really a sport! O.M.F.G. !!! I wonder how long they hold their breath for?? :eek:

Bizarre sport but very real!

Woke up all blocked up this morning...grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Ah yes, the underwater hockey before Tango's swim sessions. A game that seemed to be played mainly by large middle aged men in very small speedos.

Small speedos? Never noticed that myself! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What are you doing up at 04:33? :eek:

pgibbo wrote: »
    What are you doing up at 04:33? :eek:

I'm so dedicated I got up fora 5am turbo session ;)
    Went to bed at 10 last night and woke up at 3:30...so blocked up again and now questioning whether it's linked to my oesphagus issues. Lot of people in the office sick so it could be just that the germs keep circulating around.

Training for this week has been updated to:

Wed: Sick

Thur: Sick

Fri: REST

Sat: Sick – Check your morning lying and standing HR’s

Sun: Sick or (if OK do a bike)

:(:(

I knew the 4 months of consistency would come back to bite me in the ass :D
    I had a great turbo and great AT run on Tuesday and I was recovered from Sundays short long spin before I'd even got off the bike so speed, fitness and endurance is there. I've next week off work, the whole idea of this was to spend the week training (particularly cycling) but if it means less training than originally planned, resting and finally shaking whatever this is I'll benefit more from that in the long run. I've plenty of 15 hour ish weeks behind me at this stage so I've got a lot to work with from say the week after next which is 14 weeks to go.

I know when I think it through logically that I will be fine and I've plenty done and plenty of time to train. It's when I'm making the decision that I will miss todays/the next couple of days training sessions that I get frustrated. Once the decision is made, it's fine. I'm not particualry worried about running or cycling...a bit freaked out about swimming but I'm sure that'll come back together once I'm actually better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I'm so dedicated I got up fora 5am turbo session ;)
    Went to bed at 10 last night and woke up at 3:30...so blocked up again and now questioning whether it's linked to my oesphagus issues. Lot of people in the office sick so it could be just that the germs keep circulating around.

Training for this week has been updated to:

Wed: Sick

Thur: Sick

Fri: REST

Sat: Sick – Check your morning lying and standing HR’s

Sun: Sick or (if OK do a bike)

:(:(

I knew the 4 months of consistency would come back to bite me in the ass :D
    I had a great turbo and great AT run on Tuesday and I was recovered from Sundays short long spin before I'd even got off the bike so speed, fitness and endurance is there. I've next week off work, the whole idea of this was to spend the week training (particularly cycling) but if it means less training than originally planned, resting and finally shaking whatever this is I'll benefit more from that in the long run. I've plenty of 15 hour ish weeks behind me at this stage so I've got a lot to work with from say the week after next which is 14 weeks to go.

I know when I think it through logically that I will be fine and I've plenty done and plenty of time to train. It's when I'm making the decision that I will miss todays/the next couple of days training sessions that I get frustrated. Once the decision is made, it's fine. I'm not particualry worried about running or cycling...a bit freaked out about swimming but I'm sure that'll come back together once I'm actually better.

Could be karma for slagging off Eddie not winning :)

Echinecea, zinc and garlic tablets I find help.
    Also protein. Supplementation has been linked to reduced URI in athletes.

Also they are not small speedos, they are rather large, they just have alot to cover.

5 days off training...still not 100%. Been busy this weekend helping the folks with stuff. Still feel lethargic. I feel like I could train, but I don't feel like I'd benefit from training. Had hoped to get out on the TT for an hour or so today, just to try it out but busy, tired and know I'm not better. I really don't want to prolong this any longer than it's already been hanging around. I'm only meant to return to training tomorrow if I feel better. Being out of the office and away from everyone else's germs and the air con should help. Trying to get over the disappointment that this was to be my big training week, filled with cycling in the Wickla hills and it's now going to be easy training and rest...which will help given what the last few weeks has been, but I'd really been looking forward to this week :( Still, at least I didn't shell out for an overseas training camp that I wouldn't have been able to participate in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Dipping in here on and off you seem to be sick for the best part of the last two months?

How many hours are you putting in a week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Sorry to hear it's not going well. Have you gone for an "NCT" as a matter of interest? It's just nagging at me that maybe there's a latent cause for this flatness? On top of the other stuff you shared I mean...

Wishing you light at the end of the tunnel regardless, and the good thing about the Wicklow hills is they will outlive us all and never not be there :)

mloc123 wrote: »
    Dipping in here on and off you seem to be sick for the best part of the last two months?

How many hours are you putting in a week?

It's been hanging around for about 6 weeks. I get better...but not fully better and looking back just now...I'm doing way to many hours on my first week back so to speak...I think I'm going easier but the bike hours drag it up. I've been hitting 13-15 on my normal weeks. Each time I have come back it feels like I'm taking it easy, but I'm clearly not.

Jan 26th - Feb 1st: approx 13/14 hrs
    Feb 2nd - Feb 8th: aprrox 7:30/8 hrs (sick)
    Feb 9th - 15th: Just under 15hrs
    Feb 16th - Feb 22nd: about 6/7 hours (sick (my polar diary says 4.5 but pretty sure there was 1 or 2 hours on top of that, perhaps not though))
    Feb 23rd - March 1st: Just under 14 hrs
    March 2nd - March 8th: About 11 hrs
    March 3rd - March 15th: 3hrs 27 minutes

To go from being sick to 15 hours is obviously absolutely stupid, not something I realised I was even doing and I would suspect the reason why it is still hanging around now. If I hadn't of checked I would have told you the weeks following being sick as an easy 8/9 hours. :)

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Sorry to hear it's not going well. Have you gone for an "NCT" as a matter of interest? It's just nagging at me that maybe there's a latent cause for this flatness? On top of the other stuff you shared I mean...

Wishing you light at the end of the tunnel regardless, and the good thing about the Wicklow hills is they will outlive us all and never not be there :)

Nope, I was going to go on Friday and decided to go to work instead, then I promised I would go today and stayed in bed till 11 instead. (couldn't tell you the last time I stayed in bed till 11!) The doc is just going to tell me I have a cold and send me home for rest. Had blood tests mid-Feb which came back fine.

From start of February I also had a promotion opportunity come up in work and a few external job interviews (lots of stress and overthinking about where I'm going and what not, I'm sure you know the deal), moving house myself (still moving) and work being abnormally stressy anyway. Some things we all forget when training or struggling is the non training stuff going on in our lives - so that hasn't helped. My general everyday diet also went to absolute sh*t during most of this...again, doesn't help.

This is pretty normal for me, I knew that once I picked something up, it would take me weeks to get over it. If I had been a bit smarter from the first time I got over it, I wouldn't be here again now I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Accumulation of a lot of unrelated non-Tri stuff - know the feeling well.

Blow through it, season is far enough away that perspective can shift to accommodate I think.

Upside: weather's getting better - runs and cycles should start being fun again :)

How many weeks to Austria? How did the bike fit go yesterday?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    How many weeks to Austria? How did the bike fit go yesterday?

14.5 weeks to go. Fricken loads of time especially when you consider how many 12+hour weeks I've even done throughout this!
    Feel better today, the 10 hour nights sleep are helping. Still a bit blocked up but that's shifting too. May leave today as one last rest day and start going easy again tomorrow. Will see tomorrow.

Bike fit went well. The main advice is to do some strength work as it looks like most of my power is coming from my left leg. He checked everything that he could think of to see why my right leg was flying all over the shop and put it down to lack of strength/glutes not firing. Makes sense when I consider how fatigued my right side gets on tougher/hillier spins.

14.5 weeks - yes, you'll be totally fine! Have you any races between now and then as a tune up? Still gunning for a sub 12 hours??

I'm aiming for getting back training and staying training - will see about goals after that. :pac: I'm still waiting for a hospital appt so we'll see.

Let's just say, even all things considered I will be disappointed with anything longer than 12 but I don't want to pressure myself on the day. Plenty of time for doing faster iron mans after this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

... I don't want to pressure myself on the day. Plenty of time for doing faster iron mans after this year.

#wisdom
    Yours? :pac:

#wisdom
    Yours? :pac:

I'm full of smarts :cool:

Out on the TT today, feeling better when I woke up, at last and actually wanted to train...I tend to go with, when I want to train I'm well enough to train. Was itching to get out...wanted to swim, bike and run...which to do..which to do....really wanted to get the bike out so put the bike in the car and headed to the park. 30 - 60 minutes. No more. 30 minutes flew by...just some easy spinning, getting down onto the bars, doing some cornering, some gentle climbs, rolling through the gears...was wrapped up well but called it a day at 40 minutes as I hoped to get to the pool for 30 minutes or so later in the day. Ended up having to bring one of the dogs to the vet this evening and was absolutely smashed at that stage, gave the pool a miss and opted for an evening on the couch. Tired but have had f*ck all rest over the last few days as helping the folks out and toing and froing with them.

• Advertisement

Proper training itch came back today! Woke up tired...but feeling well, probably feeling better today than I've felt in about 5 weeks. Success. That being said, had very little rest over the last few days. Hoped to swim and run, had stuff to do this morning and afternoon so didn't get to the pool till about 4 and was then on strict timescale...had about 30 mins free to swim, had a quick glance at the swim sessions for this week but after 10 days out of the pool and so little free time I just hopped in and swam for 30 mins, slow and steady, focus on keeping everything as balanced as I can. Surprised to fell comfortable from the start, normally I'd be flailing around completely after being out that long...such a relief to be back in the water. I actually missed it! :eek:
    1500m

Didn't get home till after 8, by 9:30 when I had some actual free time I decided I'd rather watch tv than run. No big deal for the week that is in it...activity levels are probably higher this week than they would be on a full training week!

Spent most of the day thinking what a lovely day it'd be for a long spin today.

Had the most amazing news regarding some family stuff over the last couple of weeks, had been thinking that my new house was the reason I was sleeping better, only hit me this morning it was because most of that crap is now gone from my life. Sleeping like a baby! Stress is one thing you never realise is effecting you until the thing that was causing the stress is gone. Reaction is ''what the hell is this thing I'm feeling? relief? joy? rested? whats wrong with my eyes? Oh...this is...weird" :)

Advertisement