Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin waste services photographing cars

• 10-11-2014 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Do any bright people know why a Dublin waste services person would be out photographing a taking details of cars in an estate? Seems very odd.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

socio wrote: »
    Do any bright people know why a Dublin waste services person would be out photographing a taking details of cars in an estate? Seems very odd.

to check if they are 'abandoned'? How long have the cars been there?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭socio

They are just the usual cars belonging to the people who live here so most of them come and go or are here mostly. She was also trying to see if the doors were open on one,which I found really strange.
    Can understand the abandoned thing if they are in bits but most are average cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

They are just the usual cars belonging to the people who live here so most of them come and go or are here mostly. She was also trying to see if the doors were open on one,which I found really strange.
    Can understand the abandoned thing if they are in bits but most are average cars.

Ring them and ask? Or check with the management company (if there is one). Can't say I'd be impressed with some randomer trying to get into my car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,143 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Where were they parked? Were they obstructing rubbish removal, by any chance???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Staplor

Casing the joint, any nice cars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

maybe their parking is affecting the rubbish lorries. although why someone would need to try a strange car's doors is another matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭trellheim

maybe the truck struck the car and they are getting their side of the story and pics sorted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Has the road in the estate been taken over by the council? If not then maybe the management company is looking for cars belonging to non-residents to clamp them. If it's a public road (i.e. in public ownership) then they have no business going around checking doors to see if they're open. Unless someone has reported an abandoned car, I don't see why the council or any firm acting on their behalf would be going around actually looking for abandoned cars, they typically don't care about cars in housing estates unless they're reported.

I wasn't aware that the company 'Dublin Waste' still existed, I wonder if someone has bought one of their trucks, put on a reflective jacket and is going around looking for easy opportunities?

OP, is this person just wearing a 'Dublin Waste' yellow jacket or can you see a van or truck with that name on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭socio

Thanks for suggestions. It is a public road in and estate that includes houses and apartment blocks (which have their own car park with permits, clamping etc). The woman was driving Dublin City Council van with 'Waste Services' on it. She wasn't wearing any uniform, just jeans and a raincoat.
    The cars are not blocking anything, there are loads of them parallel parked on the road. Seems totally normal place for them to be!
    Only thing I can think of is some busybody has complained there are too many cars and they are checking if they are abandoned, although trying the doors seems a step too far. She was also talking photos under the wheel-arch of one car which seemed weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Tickityboo

Thanks for suggestions. It is a public road in and estate that includes houses and apartment blocks (which have their own car park with permits, clamping etc). The woman was driving Dublin City Council van with 'Waste Services' on it. She wasn't wearing any uniform, just jeans and a raincoat.
    The cars are not blocking anything, there are loads of them parallel parked on the road. Seems totally normal place for them to be!
    Only thing I can think of is some busybody has complained there are too many cars and they are checking if they are abandoned, although trying the doors seems a step too far. She was also talking photos under the wheel-arch of one car which seemed weird.

Why didn't you ask her what she was doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

She was also talking photos under the wheel-arch of one car which seemed weird.

Definitely worth reporting better safe than sorry. I think some cars might have an exterior OBD port which can be used for all sorts of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

jimmii wrote: »
    I think some cars might have an exterior OBD port which can be used for all sorts of things.

You 'think' and 'might' makes for a not very convincing statement.

You seriously think that someone is driving around in a fake Dublin City Council van trying to plug into the diagnostic port on parked cars to nobble the system?

The OBD port in most cars is in the drivers footwell, specifically above the driver's knees. No manufacturer to my knowledge fits them with external access, why would they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm pretty certain there isn't a production vehicle in existence with its OBD port accessible externally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That sounds like the council's waste department checking for abandoned cars following a report. Some abandoned cars have been stolen, hence checking the door.

Wheel wise, it may have been checking for flat tyres, mud / leaf build-up or rust on the wheel arch.

Advertisement