Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Standards.

Options
  • 10-11-2014 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭

In reference to this mornings Love Hate thread and the in my view overly PC response to people joking about a fictional character.
    I get some people might get offended and if that's the policy fair enough.
    However practically everyday there's a thread about a criminal trial where somebody gets off lightly and an endless list of posters commenting about what they would like have done to them,cutting off of genitals seems to be a popular fantasy.

I've seen threads about people being killed in unusual circumstances and an array of jokes following.

My question is why does rape get a special place on the list of offences against the person?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Any chance we could have a thread about flowers, or ice cream or birds singing sweetly on a misty autumn morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Any chance we could have a thread about flowers, or ice cream or birds singing sweetly on a misty autumn morning?

Uh?

1. This is not site feedback. You don't even mention the forums or categories that you feel this matter relates to. There is a difference in how such matters would be dealt with in Rec as opposed to Soc, just as an example.

2. And this is just a personal observation - the doom & gloom in some forums is overwhelming these days. Rape, murder, violence, misogyny, misandry, etc, etc. tToo much for my liking in Rec (Recreation? More like wReck me head.). A lovely fluffy, fun thread would be great for a change.

There was a thread in After Hours this morning about Love Hate and apparently somebody had a pool cue inserted into an ungodly place.
    The thread was closed due to some people joking about the incident and it seems it's policy,presume site wide, not to tolerate jokes about rape.
    Hence my question above.

So am I right in saying that your feedback is that you want to be free to joke about rape?

• Advertisement

So am I right in saying that your feedback is that you want to be free to joke about rape?

My feedback is to question the policy that doesn't allow jokes about rape but allows other just as serious comments and jokes,usually about real people.

If I want to do away with some "scumbag"or castrate someone convicted of sexual assault ,no problem.

Of course I don't want to joke about rape.
    As I said in the OP it was a fictional character.I do feel the policy is a bit overboard in this context when as I say I can freely say I want to castrate a real person.

I haven't seen the post in question, however, context is an important factor. Discussion of the 'pool cue' scene or discussion of castration of sex offenders is probably OK if conducted in a mature fashion. However, making fun of or posting throw-away remarks about such violent acts is not.

If you see an offensive post - report it. The mods don't read every post.

I haven't seen the post in question, however, context is an important factor. Discussion of the 'pool cue' scene or discussion of castration of sex offenders is probably OK if conducted in a mature fashion. However, making fun of or posting throw-away remarks about such violent acts is not.

If you see an offensive post - report it. The mods don't read every post.

It's OK to talk about castrating someone as long as it's done in a serious manner?

Advertisement