Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Site Sold

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Wow, just read on twitter that the site is going to be Trumps first Irish skyscraper hotel!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

catbear wrote: »
    Wow, just read on twitter that the site is going to be Trumps first Irish skyscraper hotel!

I have it from an inside source that Dunne's is going in there.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I have it from an inside source that Dunne's is going in there.
    I always thought two stores wasn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

road_high wrote: »
    Doubt it. They're in towns of sub 2,000 people (often with a lidl/aldi/super valu). In a city of almost 30k people I think we can assume there's a pent up demand, it's obvious from the Tesco delivery vans I see daily. The Carlow store has one full time covering Kilkenny.
    Tullow circa 4k people has a Tesco/Aldi/Lidl and s Super Valu.
    Supermarkets in Kilkenny are poor in my opinion, far more choice and value in other towns.

Ermm.. Kilkenny is no longer a city, and 30K in the town? Don't think so.....

I don't like Kilkenny for shopping far too spread out and takes too long to get into and out of. Other towns better laid out and not jam packed full of tourists, so they can stick what they like in the old Mart site it won't change my shopping habits.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

catbear wrote: »
    I always thought two stores wasn't enough.

Kilkenny has been at a loss since they closed parliament St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

Tesco had a drastic 2014 and halted 2015 expansion.
    2016 accounts should be finalised soon so we will all see what is Tesco's response to the German Discount store expansion.

My guess is that Tesco would not be spending the money it is (on court cases and objecting to Aldi/Lidl Stores in Kildare) if they had serious plans on further expansion in Ireland.

I hope that if there is space for another supermarket, that M&S would fill that void. That way we would be served by the Discount, Mid Range, and Upper Tier supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

screamer wrote: »

I don't like Kilkenny for shopping far too spread out and takes too long to get into and out of. Other towns better laid out and not jam packed full of tourists, so they can stick what they like in the old Mart site it won't change my shopping habits.

Good for you, you know where the motorway exits are.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭FunkyJunky6969

Good for you, you know where the motorway exits are.

True that :)

Not getting dragged down to the petty city town crap but on the population, census 2016 has the population at 27,751. For all intents and purposes it's 30k

I heard the new IMC building will be starting within the next 3 weeks. Hopefully it will be a quick process.

Anyone else heard any news regarding the site ?

• Advertisement

All quiet on the western front .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankCummins

They must be doing something right when the place is full of tourists,

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Lets here some examples of these other better laid towns !!!

http://www.thejournal.ie/waterford-shopping-mall-saudi-group-2-3299964-Mar2017/

Imagine that kind of investment in Kilkenny.... Unlikely.

Fair play to the Waterford Council's if they get this up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Waterford is a hole compared to Kilkenny and needs all the help it can get.The plans for that shopping center on micheals street have been around for 7-8 years and the previous developer ran out of cash. Waterford is a traffic nightmare at the best of times , putting a new shopping centre right in the middle of things will just make that worse.
    This bit is funny
    “It’s a game-changing development because it will put Waterford at the top of the pecking order for regional cities now. We haven’t been top for quite some time and would be the first to acknowledge we’re a bit behind the likes of Limerick and Cork.
    This guy is deluded ,to use a football analogy if Cork,Limerick and Galway are in the Premier League Waterford is in the forth division.

Not sure how this relates to this thread but it's good to see money and potential jobs coming to a neighbouring city.
    You mention this kind of investment level...wasn't MacDonagh Junction in or around that price tag, 10 years ago? or How much did the M9 motorway cost?
    Kilkenny does need to wake up a little as there's major developments in Carlow and Waterford potentially to take a lot of business. What I gather in waterford, NAMA flogged off some property sites to Saudi based investors. Another hotel/leisure type development in Kilkenny would fit perfectly in with what's going on with the Tourist/destination developments. Go to keep looking forward rather than resting on laurels.
    I'd be concerned though this neck of the woods is over served by retail- along the M9/7 corridor you major developments in Waterford, Kilkenny, carlow, Portlaoise, Newbridge and Kildare...all vying for the same business with much of the existing retail with vacant units as we are.

Everywhere was hit bad in the recession but Waterford was seriously hammered so they've probably got a cost advantage for new developments over Kilkenny.

Not sure how this relates to this thread but it's good to see money and potential jobs coming to a neighbouring city.
    You mention this kind of investment level...wasn't MacDonagh Junction in or around that price tag, 10 years ago? or How much did the M9 motorway cost?
    Kilkenny does need to wake up a little as there's major developments in Carlow and Waterford potentially to take a lot of business. What I gather in waterford, NAMA flogged off some property sites to Saudi based investors. Another hotel/leisure type development in Kilkenny would fit perfectly in with what's going on with the Tourist/destination developments. Go to keep looking forward rather than resting on laurels.
    I'd be concerned though this neck of the woods is over served by retail- along the M9/7 corridor you major developments in Waterford, Kilkenny, carlow, Portlaoise, Newbridge and Kildare...all vying for the same business with much of the existing retail with vacant units as we are.

Is there not a hotel opening in the old St Josephs college Freshford, what is the story about the brewery site is there any development there yet. Its a pity about the mart site I thought everything was good to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

what is the story about the brewery site is there any development there yet.

Its a pity about the mart site I thought everything was good to go there.

Brewery is still being cleared. There's not much point in starting here or the mart site until the new road is complete. That new road is still a WIP unfortunately.

Don't know what the junction cost to be honest. The M9 was the only recent large development for the city.
    I personally think that the likes of Clonmel has surpassed kilkenny for industry. Kilkenny is marketed as a tourism city, no push for industry in what seems like decades.

Seems like very little office space too. There will be some spill over from brexit with some subsidiaries and smaller companies looking to move close to or out of Dublin. Kilkenny has no office space to offer up.

I cannot see us capitalising on any spoils to be had.

• Advertisement

Is there part of the brewery site not designated for office space, a lot of the office space in kilkenny would be taken up by state street, tax back.com, glanbia, vhi, banking365, I wouldn't say there is to many towns with large office space ready to go only the ones that were built in the boom. The only place I can think of is Wexford town out at Drinagh, the centre of Wexford town two large buildings that are gone delapetated . There is a lot of industry around the bellview port area that new glanbia plant built in the last couple of years is a joy to see its in Co kilkenny several other facilaties around there that Waterford can not wait to get there hands on.

Don't know what the junction cost to be honest. The M9 was the only recent large development for the city.
    I personally think that the likes of Clonmel has surpassed kilkenny for industry. Kilkenny is marketed as a tourism city, no push for industry in what seems like decades.

Seems like very little office space too. There will be some spill over from brexit with some subsidiaries and smaller companies looking to move close to or out of Dublin. Kilkenny has no office space to offer up.

I cannot see us capitalising on any spoils to be had.

Think the opposite. You mention Clonmel there but when you compare employment stats in relation to no of jobs and live register figures, Kilkenny is way ahead. Last figures I saw, there was over 12000 people in the workforce in Kilkenny- the same figure was less than 8000 down there I think. There's a few large manufacturing plants, outside of that the employment is not very diverse and unemployment very high. Manufacturing is important but not something to get too hung up on. There's not a huge working class population with that tradition as such here.
    Live register for co Kilkenny as a whole is same as co Carlow despite the bigger population. Kilkenny is doing alright but there must be no resting on laurels as well as a fight to get a fair share of state investment- we are one of the few counties that's a net contributor to the exchequer also.
    Kilkenny only an hour from dublin and a central location is well placed and an obvious location for investment and expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Is it really only an hour to Dublin, how?

Zelda247 wrote: »

M9 motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

M9 motorway?

That's brilliant, I have not tried it yet but fantastic, even faster than the train.

That's brilliant, I have not tried it yet but fantastic, even faster than the train.

Well the caveat is it really depends on the traffic...but if you get a clear run it's 40 mins to the M7 then another 20 into dublin...
    Coming out in the evening times it's slower of course, and Friday eves you can nearly double it.
    Train 90 mins and not affected by traffic so it's a good option

Not far off it, I go regularly to league of Ireland games and from my home in the city, I can be in Tallaght in 1h10ish, Dalymount and Inchicore in under 1h30. I would be doing these in the evening time, so I wouldn't be going into traffic or anything. I really don't like public transport in this country, it's a complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Anyone know when the new road/bridge is opening, are we talking weeks or days now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Did you even think about what you were saying before you posted this? In the past decade or so Kilkenny has seen the opening of MacDonagh Junction, a development costing over 10 million euro; it's witnessed the refurbishment of an ancient church into a new, modern museum; it's seen the medieval mile; it's in the midst of transforming an entire city quarter into mixed use development; a spur now links the city to the nationwide motorway network and brings journey times to the capital down to about an hour. And that's just off the top of my head. Investments totalling tens of millions of euro at least.

And somehow- somehow- all of this seems to have passed you by??

Or maybe, as seems likely given your follow up post on MacDonagh Junction, you just ignore things that don't fit with whatever point you're attempting to make?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Traffic was bad this evening while they closed off the road at greens bridge.

Advertisement