Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Site Sold

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

CAS is going to open temporarily on Thursday evening for a 5k round the city. They're saying now early May for completion. They've certainly gone all in with the box on the Comer road.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I'm seeing things correctly when I say there'll be 2 sets of traffic lights now on the castlecomer road between Army Barracks entrance and the Cas junction? They're only a few hundred yards apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

fg1406 wrote: »
    I'm seeing things correctly when I say there'll be 2 sets of traffic lights now on the castlecomer road between Army Barracks entrance and the Cas junction? They're only a few hundred yards apart.

I'd expect they will be synchronised to keep the flow going.....then again:rolleyes:

hi5 wrote: »
    I'd expect they will be synchronised to keep the flow going.....then again:rolleyes:

The traffic lights at the junction there are slow enough as it is. I feel very sorry for the residents of the houses right there, and along Wolfe tone street. They are going to have a lot of heavy traffic on their doorsteps now.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

Einhard wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/waterford-shopping-mall-saudi-group-2-3299964-Mar2017/

Imagine that kind of investment in Kilkenny.... Unlikely.

Fair play to the Waterford Council's if they get this up and running.

Did you even think about what you were saying before you posted this? In the past decade or so Kilkenny has seen the opening of MacDonagh Junction, a development costing over 10 million euro; it's witnessed the refurbishment of an ancient church into a new, modern museum; it's seen the medieval mile; it's in the midst of transforming an entire city quarter into mixed use development; a spur now links the city to the nationwide motorway network and brings journey times to the capital down to about an hour. And that's just off the top of my head. Investments totalling tens of millions of euro at least.

And somehow- somehow- all of this seems to have passed you by??

Or maybe, as seems likely given your follow up post on MacDonagh Junction, you just ignore things that don't fit with whatever point you're attempting to make?

The M9 motorway is regional infrastructure to be fair. And really what we are lacking in Kilkenny is non tourist related jobs. All jobs are good but no service related jobs will likely pay more and less seasonal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

The M9 motorway is regional infrastructure to be fair. And really what we are lacking in Kilkenny is non tourist related jobs. All jobs are good but no service related jobs will likely pay more and less seasonal.

i assume you mean non tourist related jobs like Glanbia, State Street, Vhi, Taxback, Banking 365 etc. I wonder if companies like this would be interested in setting up in Kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Every regional town outside of Dublin will say the same- in fairness the jobs market around Kilkenny is not as bad as many places, but of course could be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

Exactly we are Dublin, when you compare it other regional towns we are doing ok but our office space stock seems to be pretty low.
    365, VHI, Taxback are great companies and we are all delighted to have them. But it has been awhile since we announced any new jobs in this line of service business? This could be put down to available office space? When I mentioned service jobs, this was in reference to direct tourist jobs and not larger volume employers like these above.

As a large regional town, additional capacity would be great. Most large developments in the like of the Mart or similar private schemes will have office space volume. Kilkenny isn't Dublin, but at the same time we need developments for offices and for jobs.

More movement on empty sites and a larger scale development(s) with council help/backing would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Exactly we are Dublin, when you compare it other regional towns we are doing ok but our office space stock seems to be pretty low.
    365, VHI, Taxback are great companies and we are all delighted to have them. But it has been awhile since we announced any new jobs in this line of service business? This could be put down to available office space? When I mentioned service jobs, this was in reference to direct tourist jobs and not larger volume employers like these above.

As a large regional town, additional capacity would be great. Most large developments in the like of the Mart or similar private schemes will have office space volume. Kilkenny isn't Dublin, but at the same time we need developments for offices and for jobs.

More movement on empty sites and a larger scale development(s) with council help/backing would be great.

There's a lot of land - am not sure how many acres - around the ring road zoned for offices. Ideal for future Taxbacks, 365s etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Mankbag wrote: »
    There's a lot of land - am not sure how many acres - around the ring road zoned for offices. Ideal for future Taxbacks, 365s etc.
    Stop being so positive, you're ruining the negativity circle jerk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭FunkyJunky6969

catbear wrote: »
    Stop being so positive, you're ruining the negativity circle jerk.

So what's the hold up with the new bridge opening, does anyone know ?

I think a bunch of the protesters got it held up because they think that gravity won't work on the bridge and the council were literally nazis for not having a plan for that.

I think a bunch of the protesters got it held up because they think that gravity won't work on the bridge and the council were literally nazis for not having a plan for that.

Sound. It's dragging on a bit too long now. Sooner the better !

Didn't they say May? I think they're trying to finalise a traffic management plan (which you'd have thought they'd have done years ago, but anyhow).
    I think it'll be good once it opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

road_high wrote: »
    Didn't they say May? I think they're trying to finalise a traffic management plan (which you'd have thought they'd have done years ago, but anyhow).
    I think it'll be good once it opens.
    2nd or 3rd week in May...it will open

There is no traffic managment plan...just chaos at the start and a suck and see approach...:mad:

pegasus1 wrote: »

There is no traffic managment plan...just chaos at the start and a suck and see approach...:mad:

Especially at the exit of the bridge onto Vicar St and Irish town at the Apple Green service station. Like wtf is going on there ?!!

pegasus1 wrote: »

I don't think there'll be chaos...if anything, it offers more options and road space therefore alleviating the worst of what's there already.

They simply aren't ready. Traffic lights have to be sorted over on Comer road. Also there seems to be some rumblings from councillors at meeting re the bridge last Friday. The Comer road section is not in line with planning permission nor is the roundabout at new road. Also there's no traffic management in place and won't be by the time the road opens in approx 3-4 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DickoHara

Wondering the same myself it looked fairly congested down around Vicar street I say that petrol station must be cursing it.

Plus there will still be 2 way traffic on greens bridge...so why the bridge in the first place..

• Advertisement

I don't think there'll be chaos...if anything, it offers more options and road space therefore alleviating the worst of what's there already.
    Build a road/bridge and you will fill it...so more traffic...not the same traffic but more..

They simply aren't ready. Traffic lights have to be sorted over on Comer road. Also there seems to be some rumblings from councillors at meeting re the bridge last Friday. The Comer road section is not in line with planning permission nor is the roundabout at new road. Also there's no traffic management in place and won't be by the time the road opens in approx 3-4 weeks

WTF have they been doing all these past months/years on end? The weather has been very amenable in the main too.
    Surely someone in the Council is over seeing the project in a direct sense and reviewing such matters/works as they progress...not raise them a few weeks before opening...sigh :rolleyes:

WTF have they been doing all these past months/years on end? The weather has been very amenable in the main too.
    Surely someone in the Council is over seeing the project in a direct sense and reviewing such matters/works as they progress...not raise them a few weeks before opening...sigh :rolleyes:
    I believe there was some problem with the bridges aura and they've been trying to track down reiki engineers to fix it. I heard some mention of a giant dream catcher being hung from the bridge as a quick fix.

I'm only a blow in living here for the past few years but what I can see is the management in the council committed to something and come hell or high water it was going to happen. There appears to be zero oversight of the project by the elected members of the council because so many of them tagged their support to the bridge and dismissed all opposing views as being ones of rabble rousers. Now that things aren't turning out as they had hoped and that the costs have spiralled to €20m they are panicking.
    Also vicar st is going to be an unholy mess. Not that it already isn't at this stage. A few of the bollards are squashed at this stage!

I'm only a blow in living here for the past few years but what I can see is the management in the council committed to something and come hell or high water it was going to happen. There appears to be zero oversight of the project by the elected members of the council because so many of them tagged their support to the bridge and dismissed all opposing views as being ones of rabble rousers. Now that things aren't turning out as they had hoped and that the costs have spiralled to ?20m they are panicking.
    Also vicar st is going to be an unholy mess. Not that it already isn't at this stage. A few of the bollards are squashed at this stage!

Wait til it actually opens before passing judgment I think...they were dead right to stand up to rent-a-mob, so sick of these do-nothing idiots dictating/bullying public policy. If anything, there was a bunch of namby pambys in the council like Malcolm Noonnan that were major agitators against it.

Wait til it actually opens before passing judgment I think...they were dead right to stand up to rent-a-mob, so sick of these do-nothing idiots dictating/bullying public policy. If anything, there was a bunch of namby pambys in the council like Malcolm Noonnan that were major agitators against it.
    Damn it, if people want gluten free tarmac then they should have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 blobbykk

@Road_high

Who are these Rent a Mob you speak of?

Who are these idiots you refer to in your post?

What bullying do you refer to?

Is there any reason for you to resort to name calling? I think it would be good to debate stuff rather than name calling.

Name calling is often used by those without a good side to an argument. People think it helps their argument, but in reality, it does not.

When you resort to name calling you've lost the argument.

blobbykk wrote: »
    @Road_high

Who are these Rent a Mob you speak of?

Who are these idiots you refer to in your post?

What bullying do you refer to?

Is there any reason for you to resort to name calling? I think it would be good to debate stuff rather than name calling.

Name calling is often used by those without a good side to an argument. People think it helps their argument, but in reality, it does not.

When you resort to name calling you've lost the argument.
    Welcome to the internet!

Welcome to the internet!

Indeed. Just when you tease them with a little bit of bate, along they come to be reeled in straight away :D
    So predictable. The debate is done, dusted and over. Not getting mired in these people's incessant negativity and warped view of the world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement