Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Site Sold

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

Two trucks cannot pass by each other on Greens Bridge so worst case scenario; all traffic just migrates to the old bride and traffic will ease somewhat. Best case scenario; traffic is shared amongst two bridges and traffic delays will ease a fair bit at peak times.

More routeways will surely lead to less traffic? It's not a linear relationship with more roads = more cars and traffic.

I'm staying positive on this one even if the costs, timelines, and construction traffic have not been clouded in glory. In 100 years we will still have the bridge and won't remember these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

pegasus1 wrote: »
    9 years old that is!!!:rolleyes:

Was it listed in order of priority or did the meltdown allow them to pick and choose what to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

nootroc wrote: »
    Was it listed in order of priority or did the meltdown allow them to pick and choose what to do?
    I reckon a lot of what was proposed back then changed. I was at the public consultations at the ormond hotel at the time, before protesting was fashionable again, and the project seemed on a much bogger scale than what there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 blobbykk

@Road High. Didn't think you could back up what you say. Prefer to use generalisations and call people names. As I said before, when you resort to name calling you've lost the argument.

• Advertisement

blobbykk wrote: »
    @Road High. Didn't think you could back up what you say. Prefer to use generalisations and call people names. As I said before, when you resort to name calling you've lost the argument.
    Jaysus blobby, you're hitting them over the bar from your own half. That was some smack down Road high.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

catbear wrote: »
    Jaysus blobby, you're hitting them over the bar from your own half. That was some smack down Road high.

I know. The name calling part hurts the most :(

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

fg1406 wrote: »
    I'm only a blow in living here for the past few years but what I can see is the management in the council committed to something and come hell or high water it was going to happen. There appears to be zero oversight of the project by the elected members of the council because so many of them tagged their support to the bridge and dismissed all opposing views as being ones of rabble rousers. Now that things aren't turning out as they had hoped and that the costs have spiralled to €20m they are panicking.
    Also vicar st is going to be an unholy mess. Not that it already isn't at this stage. A few of the bollards are squashed at this stage!

Nail on the head.

As you say, come hell or high water it was going to happen. The main political parties allowed the county council executive to do what they wished. Now that a €4m bridge will end up costing a multiple of that, with no traffic plan in place and more HGVs that ever going over Greensbridge, a lot of the councillors are diving for cover.

No doubt the council will come up with some sort of plan in the end and everyone will muddle through. But it's a classic Irish fiasco. Build something for the sake of it - see it go wildly over budget - and have the man who spearheaded the project walk away from the mess, then return to help develop a site he had a conflict of interest it. Vintage stuff!

Two trucks cannot pass by each other on Greens Bridge so worst case scenario; all traffic just migrates to the old bride and traffic will ease somewhat. Best case scenario; traffic is shared amongst two bridges and traffic delays will ease a fair bit at peak times.

More routeways will surely lead to less traffic? It's not a linear relationship with more roads = more cars and traffic.

I'm staying positive on this one even if the costs, timelines, and construction traffic have not been clouded in glory. In 100 years we will still have the bridge and won't remember these issues.

Of course we won't remember the issues. We'll be dead.

Mankbag wrote: »
    Of course we won't remember the issues. We'll be dead.
    Actually read a piece about people complaining about the new Johns bridge when it was built, wish I could find it.

• Advertisement

Nail on the head.

As you say, come hell or high water it was going to happen. The main political parties allowed the county council executive to do what they wished. Now that a €4m bridge will end up costing a multiple of that, with no traffic plan in place and more HGVs that ever going over Greensbridge, a lot of the councillors are diving for cover.

No doubt the council will come up with some sort of plan in the end and everyone will muddle through. But it's a classic Irish fiasco. Build something for the sake of it - see it go wildly over budget - and have the man who spearheaded the project walk away from the mess, then return to help develop a site he had a conflict of interest it. Vintage stuff!

You'd think this was all unique to kilkenny and it was the first city ever to get a new relief road and bridge...as I type, I'm just listening to Today fm talking about the new Luas lines in Dublin City and the uncertainty re traffic management plan for the city centre- which is multiple times bigger and busier than what we are discussing in kilkenny.
    If Greensbridge was cast aside, you'd then have incessant complaints from people that can't use that. I don't see anything waiting to see how things pan out. It'll be an improvement from where we currently are.

road_high wrote: »
    Wait til it actually opens before passing judgment I think...they were dead right to stand up to rent-a-mob, so sick of these do-nothing idiots dictating/bullying public policy. If anything, there was a bunch of namby pambys in the council like Malcolm Noonnan that were major agitators against it.

Yesterday you said wait till it opens before passing judgment. Today you say there's no point in waiting to see how things pan out.

Which is it?

Yesterday you said wait till it opens before passing judgment. Today you say there's no point in waiting to see how things pan out.

Which is it?

What?
    The thing is built. There's no going back. If it's as awful as you seem to think it'll be, just use Greenbridge and try move on with your life.

road_high wrote: »
    What?
    The thing is built. There's no going back. If it's as awful as you seem to think it'll be, just use Greenbridge and try move on with your life.
    You're right, no going back now.

People will just have to build a bridge and get over it!

default_laugh3.gif

You're right, no going back now.

People will just have to build a bridge and get over it!

default_laugh3.gif

Stop. PLEEEEEEZE.

Stop. PLEEEEEEZE.

You're right. I'm sorry.

It's all water under the bridge now!!!!!!!!

laughing.jpg~c200

SORRY! I couldn't resist!

You're right. I'm sorry.

It's all water under the bridge now!!!!!!!!

laughing.jpg~c200

SORRY! I couldn't resist!

Nooooooo...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭FunkyJunky6969

Have they decided a name for the bridge yet ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Have they decided a name for the bridge yet ?

No, I think it may open nameless.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

I name it Council bridge.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

How about the Bridge to Joes chippers?

Or how about "Complete the ring road Bridge"

You know what's going to happen, people will just call it by the nearest thing, like the Brewery bridge (yes I know the brewery is gone but people will still call it the brewery just as I sometimes still call the Pumphouse the Shamrock or Brewery Corner the Widow McGraths.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DickoHara

The Dan Quigley bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

The bridge of Sighs

DickoHara wrote: »
    The Dan Quigley bridge.

Who was this Dan Quigley guy?

I've heard of his name before but don't no anything about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DickoHara

Who was this Dan Quigley guy?

I've heard of his name before but don't no anything about him.

He was a local man that was deaf dum well liked he was always around the cattle mart barracks street around the town , Mrs Dempsey fed him well. He always walked in front of the funeral courtage with a stick dare anybody make a sound you got the stick waved at you. When my Father died we live out from Town he walked out to do his duty we were all ever so greatfull. It would be great if there was something named after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

He was a local man that was deaf dum well liked he was always around the cattle mart barracks street around the town , Mrs Dempsey fed him well. He always walked in front of the funeral courtage with a stick dare anybody make a sound you got the stick waved at you. When my Father died we live out from Town he walked out to do his duty we were all ever so greatfull. It would be great if there was something named after him.

I remembered him from the St Patrick's Day parades too in town... He'd walk in front of them and lead them down through the streets, waving his stick at young fellas messing and at the same time saluting others!

"Who's dead Dan?"

"Yer man in the Box"

I think it's a great idea.

• Advertisement

Thank you. He sounded like a right ol character. Sur yeah why not. I notice there is a online petition to get the bridge named after him.

Advertisement