Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Site Sold

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Was there ever any official confirmation of who actually purchased the old Mart Site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Saw this in the People office window today, the real Dan the Man
    [IMG][/img]2ivleti.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I have one other suggestion, David Rothe bridge.

Who?

He's the chap who brought together the Confederate Government of Ireland based in Kilkenny in the 17th century to counter and reverse the encroaching English plantations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Kilkenny CoCo have a shortlist of 8 names:

Berkeley Bridge;
    Cathedral Bridge;
    Chancellors Bridge;
    Edmond Smithwick Bridge;
    Edmund Rice Bridge;
    William Marshall Bridge;
    St Francis Bridge;
    and Strongbow’s Bridge.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/244498/eight-names-make-the-shortlist-for-kilkenny-city-s-new-bridge.html

hi5 wrote: »
    Kilkenny CoCo have a shortlist of 8 names:

Berkeley Bridge;
    Cathedral Bridge;
    Chancellors Bridge;
    Edmond Smithwick Bridge;
    Edmund Rice Bridge;
    William Marshall Bridge;
    St Francis Bridge;
    and Strongbow?s Bridge.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/244498/eight-names-make-the-shortlist-for-kilkenny-city-s-new-bridge.html

Isn't there already a Edmund Rice Bridge?

I like Cathedral bridge, I can see that sticking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

catbear wrote: »
    Isn't there already a Edmund Rice Bridge?

I like Cathedral bridge, I can see that sticking.

Yes, it's the bridge in Waterford city. I like Edmond Smithwick or St. Francis bridge to tie in with the brewery. Any word on an opening date, surely can only be a matter of days now?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Definitely not the Edmund Rice one...hate that one and the religious connection- no thanks.
    Like the Smithwick bridge.

I like Edmond Smithwick or St. Francis bridge to tie in with the brewery. Any word on an opening date, surely can only be a matter of days now?
    I reckon everyone will just call it either the New Bridge or the Brewery Bridge no matter what name it get assigned.

No idea of the the opening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

catbear wrote: »
    I reckon everyone will just call it either the New Bridge or the Brewery Bridge no matter what name it get assigned.

No idea of the the opening.

Maybe Charlo will open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

St Francis Bridge would be my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭FunkyJunky6969

Berkeley Bridge has a nice sound to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Crockett / Crooked Bridge

nootroc wrote: »
    Protest Pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

nootroc wrote: »

The "Talk to Joe" bridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

Abbey Bridge is my shout!

1984baby wrote: »
    Was there ever any official confirmation of who actually purchased the old Mart Site?

It was Irish Multiplex Cinema that bought the site for 5 million afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Smithwick's Bridge or Strongbow Bridge in honour of the perfect place for drinkin cans underneath it!

Sky King wrote: »
    Smithwick's Bridge or Strongbow Bridge in honour of the perfect place for drinkin cans underneath it!

Empty slab of fosters under it this morning, classy.

It was Irish Multiplex Cinema that bought the site for 5 million afaik.

Are they going into a property venture on the site or does anyone know anything? Cinema will only st

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Empty slab of fosters under it this morning, classy.

It's as you were prior to the bridge so.

St. Francis Bridge is the name for the Bridge

http://kclr96fm.com/name-kilkennys-newest-bridge-decided/

St. Francis Bridge is the name for the Bridge

http://kclr96fm.com/name-kilkennys-newest-bridge-decided/

You should see the whining on line about that too...starting to think there's a cohort in kilkenny with a weird misery fetish, trolling the local stories for yet more misery and negativity to feast on. No matter if it's actually a positive one, it'll be turned into another tale of woe.

road_high wrote: »
    You should see the whining on line about that too...starting to think there's a cohort in kilkenny with a weird misery fetish, trolling the local stories for yet more misery and negativity to feast on. No matter if it's actually a positive one, it'll be turned into another tale of woe.

What are they complaining about may I ask ?

What are they complaining about may I ask ?

The same aul tripe regurgitated- basically how awful this road akin to the coming of satin. Malcom Noonan stirring the pot as usual with his Marxist hippy musings

The same aul tripe regurgitated- basically how awful this road akin to the coming of satin. Malcom Noonan stirring the pot as usual with his Marxist hippy musings[/quote

So much negativity online it's ridiculous.

The same aul tripe regurgitated- basically how awful this road akin to the coming of satin. Malcom Noonan stirring the pot as usual with his Marxist hippy musings[/quote

So much negativity online it's ridiculous.

Their backslapping arrogance is beyond belief. If you want to see a glass half empty approach, read the KCLR or Kilkenny people comments. Lot of very uneducated, narrow small minded people living here trying to shout over the rest of us with their ingrained negativity. They baically would prefer Kilkenny remains as it is, Defo no more development, jobs or infrastructure whatsoever. Unless it's for pushbikes and hanging baskets.

Their backslapping arrogance is beyond belief. If you want to see a glass half empty approach, read the KCLR or Kilkenny people comments. Lot of very uneducated, narrow small minded people living here trying to shout over the rest of us with their ingrained negativity. They baically would prefer Kilkenny remains as it is, Defo no more development, jobs or infrastructure whatsoever. Unless it's for pushbikes and hanging baskets.

Kilkenny needs to move ahead with the times it is a fantastic city with tons of potential. The old mart site could be a kick ass place with a state of the art entertainment centre with the 10 screen cinema coming and whichever new business come to the site as well will add to our great city. Bring it on we don't know how good we have it !

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

Kilkenny needs to move ahead with the times it is a fantastic city with tons of potential. The old mart site could be a kick ass place with a state of the art entertainment centre with the 10 screen cinema coming and whichever new business come to the site as well will add to our great city. Bring it on we don't know how good we have it !

I agree with Road High and yourself. Those people need to get with the times and move forward and progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

miece16 wrote: »

I agree with Road High and yourself. Those people need to get with the times and move forward and progress.

The Bridge has gone way over budget.
    The main purpose that it was built was so that trucks wouldn't be using green bridge..that's not the case.
    It will bringing more traffic into the city.
    Higher traffic congestion will happen.
    Need I go on?

Advertisement