Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Site Sold

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

imacman wrote: »
    I have a friend who works for these guys
    http://www.bdarchitects.ie/index.php/projects/leisure/cinema-kilkenny/
    He says the groundworks for the project are starting this month

Interesting looking plans. 1400 seat cinema with about 70 parking spaces though...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭FunkyJunky6969

PaulKK wrote: »
    Interesting looking plans. 1400 seat cinema with about 70 parking spaces though...

Good point but I'd say there will be other parking available on such a big site. It's exciting to actually see the plans for it. Looks modern.

Good point but I'd say there will be other parking available on such a big site. It's exciting to actually see the plans for it. Looks modern.

There may be eventually but not initallly.. And it would be separated from the cinema by wide road also.

Very foolish move to put an entrance/exit on the comer road. Its already too congested with the ridiculous decision to put those two sets of lights together.

I still maintain the junction with the cas and comer road should be a roundabout.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There may be eventually but not initallly.. And it would be separated from the cinema by wide road also.

Very foolish move to put an entrance/exit on the comer road. Its already too congested with the ridiculous decision to put those two sets of lights together.

I still maintain the junction with the cas and comer road should be a roundabout.

The whole thing is a mess. Those two sets of lights, Irishtown lane layout. I think they can still improve it though. The cinema will be great though, the continent has come on a lot since I was a chap.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

The whole thing is a mess. Those two sets of lights, Irishtown lane layout. I think they can still improve it though. The cinema will be great though, the continent has come on a lot since I was a chap.

The Irishtown layout is getting beyond a joke. Vicar street needs to be one way outbound. The amount of cars just pulling out into traffic trying to turn right onto Dean street is getting ridiculous. I've often seen the right hand lane full and blocking the filter lane to turn left too making things worse again.

Also selfish people holding up the entire place turning right into top oil when the lights are green is very frustrating too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Also selfish people holding up the entire place turning right into top oil when the lights are green is very frustrating too.

?? What are these selfish people supposed to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Was just in a massive new shop in carlow, called the Range. All homewares stuff etc, very good prices and massive range of goods. We really need new draws like this into kilkenny, there's hardly been anything new since MacDonagh opened ten years ago. The last census the population jumped to nearly 28k but nothing new on offer. The mart and brewery sites can't come soon enough to inject some new life and choices into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

road_high wrote:
    Was just in a massive new shop in carlow, called the Range. All homewares stuff etc, very good prices and massive range of goods. We really need new draws like this into kilkenny, there's hardly been anything new since MacDonagh opened ten years ago. The last census the population jumped to nearly 28k but nothing new on offer. The mart and brewery sites can't come soon enough to inject some new life and choices into town.

Where's that shop? Sure aren't we getting another ice cream shop in Dores!😠another one for the medieval mile

Comerman wrote: »
    Where's that shop? Sure aren't we getting another ice cream shop in Dores!another one for the medieval mile

Old Homebase on dublin road. Lots of small outlets like that, but not many big stores

citykat wrote: »
    ?? What are these selfish people supposed to do?

Have a bit of cop on maybe? Traffic backed up waiting for that traffic going straight up Dean street to move and people sit there with their indicator on blocking everyone when the lights are green. Traffic can't turn left into Irish town or continue straight and you think people just have a right to do it? We should all sit waiting while the lights are green so Johnny can buy a box of silk cut in the petrol station?

I know what you're getting at, its not their fault the layout is so crap, but a bit of cop on and courtesy to other people wouldn't go astray. There are plenty of other petrol stations around.

Another one that pisses me off is people in Marys Cathedral car park driving around, parking near the pay station, blocking everyone and then getting out to pay their ticket. But that's possibly for another thread :)

• Advertisement

Have a bit of cop on maybe? Traffic backed up waiting for that traffic going straight up Dean street to move and people sit there with their indicator on blocking everyone when the lights are green. Traffic can't turn left into Irish town or continue straight and you think people just have a right to do it? We should all sit waiting while the lights are green so Johnny can buy a box of silk cut in the petrol station?

Horse****. Somebody turning right is not going to prevent you turning left into Irishtown.
    As for the inconvenience of waiting for someone ahead of you turning right, suck it up. Comes with having to share the road with others.

Horse****. Somebody turning right is not going to prevent you turning left into Irishtown.
    As for the inconvenience of waiting for someone ahead of you turning right, suck it up. Comes with having to share the road with others.

You've obviously never been down there when its busy and don't know what you're talking about. I've experienced it multiple times. There's a very limited amount of space for cars to wait to continue straight on. Once this limit is reached cars have to wait, blocking the lane to turn left.

Your attitude stinks tbh. Screams of screw everyone else. Do you think its OK for one car to get through when the light is green due to one person wanting to turn into the station?

My whole point is based off the fact that you are sharing the road with others and therefore should avoid causing large delays to other numerous other road users. Do you own that petrol station or something?

You've obviously never been down there when its busy and don't know what you're talking about. I've experienced it multiple times. There's a very limited amount of space for cars to wait to continue straight on. Once this limit is reached cars have to wait, blocking the lane to turn left.

Your attitude stinks tbh. Screams of screw everyone else. Do you think its OK for one car to get through when the light is green due to one person wanting to turn into the station?

My whole point is based off the fact that you are sharing the road with others and therefore should avoid causing large delays to other numerous other road users. Do you own that petrol station or something?

I live close by. Use the station and that road a lot. Nothing to do with the place. If it pisses you off that much take another route. There's plenty of alternatives. You don't own the road.

You don't own the road.

Never said I did. All I'm looking for is for people to be courteous to each other, and have a bit of common sense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It's annoying there at the turn for vicar street, the left lane is certainly blocked because of that. I don't think it's fair on the petrol station though if you cut that off. Definitely make vicar street one way from town though and no right turn onto it.

It's annoying there at the turn for vicar street, the left lane is certainly blocked because of that. I don't think it's fair on the petrol station though if you cut that off. Definitely make vicar street one way from town though and no right turn onto it.

Agreed its not their fault. Might be a better solution by timing the lights to do one direction at a time etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

road_high wrote: »

Carlow is a hole compared to Kilkenny , a little market town with delusions of grandeur.

Carlow is a hole compared to Kilkenny , a little market town with delusions of grandeur.

Respectively I disagree. I prefer Carlow for everyday shopping, it's better.

I prefer Kilkenny but I can see why, Tesco's is way handier than Dunnes

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

road_high wrote: »
    Respectively I disagree. I prefer Carlow for everyday shopping, it's better.

A town or city isn't just about shopping its about culture, history, buzz,nightlife, bars & restaurants, outdoor spaces ,environment ,tourism ,festivals ,sport and many more. Kilkenny is in a different league from Carlow on those kind of metrics. Having and Iceland and a Tescos doesn't make up for that.

• Advertisement

A town or city isn't just about shopping its about culture, history, buzz,nightlife, bars & restaurants, outdoor spaces ,environment ,tourism ,festivals ,sport and many more. Kilkenny is in a different league from Carlow on those kind of metrics. Having and Iceland and a Tescos doesn't make up for that.

Totally, I was mainly talking about the retail aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭DancingHomer

Delusions of grandeur, that's ironic when Kilkenny is the town with signs for the 'City Centre'.

You should be proud. Kilkenny is miles ahead when it comes to Horse neglect too.

I'd tell you to go back to College, but Kilkenny doesn't have one of them either...

Delusions of grandeur, that's ironic when Kilkenny is the town with signs for the 'City Centre'.

You should be proud. Kilkenny is miles ahead when it comes to Horse neglect too.

I'd tell you to go back to College, but Kilkenny doesn't have one of them either...

I knew this post was coming lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The new lights at the Comer Rd seem to be a problem too as lots of people don't understand that you can only proceed in the direction of the arrows.
    Coming from Comer and turning right over the new bridge you have to wait for the right turn arrow ... nobody does:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I've also seen people on the Comer road heading out of town, break the lights when the green arrow is left only. I've caught a few near misses on the dashcam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Both places have their merits. I found Carlow to be a friendly country town. Kilkenny is more likely on tourists itinerary. Carlow has stores Kilkenny doesn’t have. Kilkenny has a more vibrant town Centre and an atmosphere on a par with Galway.

Kilkenny is beautiful full of iconic buildings. Possibly the best collection outside of Dublin. Kilkenny is a city and rightfully proud of that.

Carlow has The I.T where I spent many a happy year as a student. Oak Park is a lovely spot.

holyhead wrote: »
    Both places have their merits. I found Carlow to be a friendly country town. Kilkenny is more likely on tourists itinerary. Carlow has stores Kilkenny doesn’t have. Kilkenny has a more vibrant town Centre and an atmosphere on a par with Galway.

Kilkenny is beautiful full of iconic buildings. Possibly the best collection outside of Dublin. Kilkenny is a city and rightfully proud of that.

Carlow has The I.T where I spent many a happy year as a student. Oak Park is a lovely spot.

I'm spread across both like so many of us and I love Carlow- the people are funny, very down to earth with no false heirs or graces. I do find that a negative about Kilkenny, certain people can have notions (especially GAA players).
    The main difference I see is that kilkenny absolutely makes the most of what it has. Carlow does the opposite. Take a look at how Brownshill Dolmen is treated to see what I mean.

hi5 wrote: »
    The new lights at the Comer Rd seem to be a problem too as lots of people don't understand that you can only proceed in the direction of the arrows.
    Coming from Comer and turning right over the new bridge you have to wait for the right turn arrow ... nobody does:rolleyes:

I do this all the time and I'm afraid you can keep rolling those eyes because its perfectly legal. Its you that do not understand the rules of the road as you do not need to wait for the filter:
    If turning right at traffic lights where there is a right facing arrow, you can drive into the junction when the traffic lights turn green, making sure not to obstruct the flow of oncoming traffic. When it is safe to do so, complete your right hand turn. You are not obliged to wait for the green filter arrow to appear provided you get a safe opportunity to turn right before it appears.

http://www.theaa.ie/blog/a-minority-of-motorist-need-more-discipline-when-it-comes-to-traffic-lights-says-aa/

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

A green arrow (also known as a filter light) means that you may move on in the direction of the arrow, assuming it is safe and the way is clear, even if a red light is also showing. If you wish to turn right at a set of traffic lights that has an arrow to the right, drive into the junction when you see a green light, taking care not to block any oncoming traffic. Then, when it is safe, finish your turn. You should only wait for the filter arrow for turning right when you are in the junction and if it would be dangerous to finish your turn before the filter light appears.

-page 103 rules of the road

That junction has a straight arrow and right arrow so are you not supposed to only drive in the direction of arrows when they appear.

If it was a green circle with an arrow then you'd be able to turn right before any arrow appears.

Green circle like at lenehans then you can proceed and turn right when safe.

People are getting confused between green circle and green arrow. Green with arrows, travel in that direction only!

• Advertisement

A green arrow (also known as a filter light) means that you may move on in the direction of the arrow, assuming it is safe and the way is clear, even if a red light is also showing. If you wish to turn right at a set of traffic lights that has an arrow to the right, drive into the junction when you see a green light, taking care not to block any oncoming traffic. Then, when it is safe, finish your turn. You should only wait for the filter arrow for turning right when you are in the junction and if it would be dangerous to finish your turn before the filter light appears.

-page 103 rules of the road

That junction has a straight arrow and right arrow so are you not supposed to only drive in the direction of arrows when they appear.

If it was a green circle with an arrow then you'd be able to turn right before any arrow appears.

Green circle like at lenehans then you can proceed and turn right when safe.

People are getting confused between green circle and green arrow. Green with arrows, travel in that direction only!

I can see how you would interpret it that way but that's not what it says:
    If you wish to turn right at a set of traffic lights that has an arrow to the right, drive into the junction when you see a green light, taking care not to block any oncoming traffic. Then, when it is safe, finish your turn

The rule states when you see a green light, it does not state when you see a round green light.

This also confirms my point:
    You should only wait for the filter arrow for turning right when you are in the junction and if it would be dangerous to finish your turn before the filter light appears.

It agrees with what I posted above. In fact if you look at the junction there is a sensor in the middle of the yellow box to see if there's a car still waiting to turn right. A sure sign that turning right when only the green light for continuing straight is lighting is acceptable.

On top of this I've done it in front of the gardai and they've followed straight behind me with no problem!

Advertisement