Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Site Sold

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

You can only turn left or right on a solid circle green light and not on an 'ahead only' arrow.
    These lights are very fast and seem to be very sensitive to traffic flow and so far it seems to be working.
    I suspect some of the confusion is the lack of a red light, if you continue to John's St lights you have a similar setup but with a red light with the right filter arrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

hi5 wrote: »
    You can only turn left or right on a solid circle green light and not on an 'ahead only' arrow.
    These lights are very fast and seem to be very sensitive to traffic flow and so far it seems to be working.
    I suspect some of the confusion is the lack of a red light, if you continue to John's St lights you have a similar setup but with a red light with the right filter arrow.

It doesn't say anything about a solid circle in the rules of the road.

The rules of the road have been quoted above.

I believe you can turn right without the filter according to the rules. I'll quote the rule once more, its here in black and white:

If you wish to turn right at a set of traffic lights that has an arrow to the right, drive into the junction when you see a green light, taking care not to block any oncoming traffic. Then, when it is safe, finish your turn

If you wish to turn right at a set of traffic lights that has an arrow to the right, drive in to the junction when you see a green light.

Simple as that.

Next time you pass look at the yellow box. There is a sensor in it where traffic wait to turn right. What would the purpose of that be if you cannot turn right when the filter isn't green? Its to turn on the filter for traffic that ended up there when the filter was not lighting and couldn't make the turn due to oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

The rules said that you can only travel in the direction of the arrow? At that junction, it is straight arrow, delay, right arrow in that order. Turn right on a straight arrow and you have broken the lights.

A green light is a normal round green light. At this junction do the following....
    If you wish to turn right at a set of traffic lights that has an arrow to the right, drive into the junction when you see a green light, taking care not to block any oncoming traffic. Then, when it is safe, finish your turn

At lights with an arrow...means that you may move on in the direction of the arrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Here is a very simple question then to those who believe you can turn right on an ahead only arrow...

What is the difference in practice between a solid round green light and an ahead only green arrow filter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

The solid green light generally means you wait for opposing traffic to clear to take your turn. On a green arrow filter you are spared waiting as it kicks in once red kicks in on traffic coming in the opposite direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

PaulKK wrote: »
    It doesn't say anything about a solid circle in the rules of the road.

It it astounds me how people on the motoring forum cannot comprehend the basic rules of the road. They then proceed to make up their own interpretations of things that no reasonable person could possibly make.

How anyone could possibly think you can turn right on a straight-on green arrow is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

dil999 wrote: »
    It it astounds me how people on the motoring forum cannot comprehend the basic rules of the road. They then proceed to make up their own interpretations of things that no reasonable person could possibly make.

How anyone could possibly think you can turn right on a straight-on green arrow is beyond me.

Consider me educated then. I'm happy to admit I was wrong.

I disagree that no reasonable person could interpret the rule this way though. The fact so many people are turning right at this junction should be testament to that.

My original presumption was based off of the aa quoting a paragraph from the rules of the road which did not mention arrows, only a green light to proceed straight.

I question the reason for the sensor in the middle of the junction.

I still think the whole junction should be a roundabout :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

So I hear they're building a cinema or something at the old Mart site. Any truth to this? ;)

Nice big thread about the CAS here. Maybe the road layout stuff would be better suited to that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

bertie4evr wrote: »
    So I hear they're building a cinema or something at the old Mart site. Any truth to this? ;)

Nice big thread about the CAS here. Maybe the road layout stuff would be better suited to that...

this is the CAS thread :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

miece16 wrote: »
    this is the CAS thread :confused::confused:

This is the thread about the goings on at the old Mart site and the future developments there. The road running through it is the CAS, but I think people here are more interested in new shops/amenities and not the traffic management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 jjames.mmurphy

So is the new cinema going ahead ? Anyone who when ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

Did 17,000 people not sign a petition against the horse neglect which is caused by a small minority, people should look up why kilkenny is called a city may be if they went to college as stated study history they might find that out. We have not the 3rd level college but we have the hospitals which Carlow people use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

So is the new cinema going ahead ? Anyone who when ?
    from down the thread
    I have a friend who works for these guys
    http://www.bdarchitects.ie/index.php/projects/leisure/cinema-kilkenny
    He says the groundworks for the project are starting this month

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭FunkyJunky6969

imacman wrote: »
    from down the thread

Looks frigging awesome !

Looks class....

Looks class....

Still no construction over there. Why does it take so long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Still no construction over there. Why does it take so long

My mate says there is a dispute with some locals about site access, looks like it will push the start into 2018

imacman wrote: »
    My mate says there is a dispute with some locals about site access, looks like it will push the start into 2018

Thanks for the information. Nothing is simple these days !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

just noticed this on Kilkenny co co planning web site
    http://planning.kilkennycoco.ie/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=17745&LASiteID=0

linny wrote: »

What does this actually mean ? Not really familiar with those type of documents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

What does this actually mean ? Not really familiar with those type of documents.
    Application went in on the 14/11/2017 and decision to be made by the 17/01/2018

toe_knee wrote: »
    Application went in on the 14/11/2017 and decision to be made by the 17/01/2018

So it must be January when they start building. Hopefully Tesco comes as well.

So it must be January when they start building. Hopefully Tesco comes as well.
    Tesco will never be in kilkenny when the likes of Malcom Noonan are on the local council.

PeterCasey wrote: »
    Tesco will never be in kilkenny when the likes of Malcom Noonan are on the local council.

He can go whistle !

He can go whistle !

Nothing against him or the work he does for Kilkenny, as he's done alot. And will continue to help kk...

... but of recent times, he's on his own agenda. If it's not sports direct signage it's the coke cola trunk on the parade!!!

I think he needs to think of the whole picture and the bigger for Kilkenny and not his own agenda.

I'm all for the new cinema and if that brings a Tesco or new Penneys so be it. Plenty of access and parking

Nothing against him or the work he does for Kilkenny, as he's done alot. And will continue to help kk...

... but of recent times, he's on his own agenda. If it's not sports direct signage it's the coke cola trunk on the parade!!!

I think he needs to think of the whole picture and the bigger for Kilkenny and not his own agenda.

I'm all for the new cinema and if that brings a Tesco or new Penneys so be it. Plenty of access and parking

Very well said. I'd agree with you 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Can't stand the guy...he thinks we should all wonder down to the Parade Market in our sandals to buy organic food. Yes, that would be wonderful if we all had the time/money/interest to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

PeterCasey wrote: »

Local councillors have no power in that regard one way or another. The council executive decide on these matters, not the councillors.

Tesco were already turned down for the brewery site by the then acting council CEO, John Mulholland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Mankbag wrote: »
    council executive decide on these matters, not the councillors.

Tesco were already turned down for the brewery site by the then acting council CEO, John Mulholland.

I'm glad Tesco aren't going into the Brewery. The priority there should be commercial office/r&d/educational/civic facilities space.
    Perhaps a small element of retail like a Tesco metro or something but not a big store plonked down in the middle of it.
    Mart site or some place out of town more suitable.

• Advertisement

Mankbag wrote: »
    Local councillors have no power in that regard one way or another. The council executive decide on these matters, not the councillors.

Tesco were already turned down for the brewery site by the then acting council CEO, John Mulholland.[/QU
    Where did I mention the brewery site we are the only county in Ireland I say there is no Tesco in and a couple of years back they were trying to get into a town in Kilkenny he had a lot to do with not getting there.

Advertisement