Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Site Sold

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Looks nice, hopefully there won't be too much 'setting down' on the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭FunkyJunky6969

One of my friends heard third hand that they hope to have 5 screens ready by December and the rest in the new year. It's taking shape in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

One of my friends heard third hand that they hope to have 5 screens ready by December and the rest in the new year. It's taking shape in fairness

Yea a Christmas opening would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Sounds stange that they would open only one part of the cinema. Never heard of that before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

You would think that the whole place would have to be finished before it would be signed off fire regulations, etc,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭up for anything

Am I the only one who thinks it looks terrible? The artist's rendition of it seems to be bear no relation to the actual building. It's much darker and way bigger than it seemed in the photo. I wonder what the feck Kilkenny is going to do with ten screens. I'd imagine ticket prices will go up from the €9.50 that they are at present for adults in order to pay for the investment in land and building.

Am I the only one who thinks it looks terrible? The artist's rendition of it seems to be bear no relation to the actual building. It's much darker and way bigger than it seemed in the photo. I wonder what the feck Kilkenny is going to do with ten screens. I'd imagine ticket prices will go up from the €9.50 that they are at present for adults in order to pay for the investment in land and building.

The prices of the tickets won't change. Its a chain of cinemas and their prices stay the same across them all I am pretty sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

imacman wrote: »
    Yea a Christmas opening would be great

March at the earliest, apparently.

With more screens the cinema can then show more movies because the current cinema is limited to 4 screens it doesn't always get the new releases. With 11 screens this will vastly improve selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Give it a chance, it's not finished yet.

You must be be the first person I've ever heard complain that a cinema has too many screens.. more choice is always a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Carlow has 11 screens and 3 in the older cinema... And that in a town with virtually no tourist trade/recreational visitors. Why do so many people in KK have this village mentality where everything should stay the same. Think big!

This is just the first phase of the re-development of a brown field urban site and won't look out of place once the whole site is redeveloped and more blended.

road_high wrote: »
    Carlow has 11 screens and 3 in the older cinema... And that in a town with virtually no tourist trade/recreational visitors. Why do so many people in KK have this village mentality where everything should stay the same. Think big!

This is just the first phase of the re-development of a brown field urban site and won't look out of place once the whole site is redeveloped and more blended.

I agree like this development will be great when fully completed. More choice and things to do in the City like what's the negative of this.

I agree like this development will be great when fully completed. More choice and things to do in the City like what's the negative of this.

In Kilkenny the negative is found in everything, it’s like a disease. Thing is other towns and cities are competing for these developments and funding and if investors can spend their money elsewhere they will

Didn't realize we are a negative people find that hard to see,

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Didn't realize we are a negative people find that hard to see,

Some are. It’s jumps out from these threads at times

Some are. It’s jumps out from these threads at times

You will always have people like that everywhere things are no good when they are not negative. The place looks like a typical building site I had a pint with the builder last Friday week he said a lot done and a lot to do. If they could get funding for the brewery site develop it with the things are in the pipe line it will transform the place.

Why do so many people in KK have this village mentality where everything should stay the same. Think big!
    In Kilkenny the negative is found in everything, it’s like a disease. Thing is other towns and cities are competing for these developments and funding and if investors can spend their money elsewhere they will

You've won me and my village mentality over with your cogent and compelling argument. In the name of development, funding and investors who don't give a crap for the places they are investing in and only care for their bottom line let's see Kilkenny razed to the ground and turned into yet another homogenised shitehole with no character or individuality.

If one was to be led blindfold into the centre of an Irish town and then the blindfold removed the only thing that might indicate which particular town it could be would be the token town landmark until they too are developed and blanded (intentional) to fit in with the rest of the concrete and chrome.

You are very pass-remarkable, Road High. If an opinion doesn't fall into line with yours then it must be negative and myopic. Try seeing that there might be value in what others say even when it doesn't gel with your opinion.

I do understand the need for regeneration and development. I have no problem with that. Renewal and change is needed and should be welcomed but make a fecking effort to make it beautiful or crazy-looking or shocking but no one can tell me that they find that building in any way remarkable. It'll look great in the shiny bandbox way that those constructions do but only for a few years and it won't mellow with the years melding into its surroundings although who knows what exactly they will be.

It’s a cinema in a site that has had tumble weed blowing through for the past decade plus...the semi hysterical way you are going on you'd swear they were after demolishing half of Kilkenny castle to make way for it!
    This site needs to be developed and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the cinema building underway there. It is modern and doesn’t take from anywhere or the character of Kk as it’s location is totally separate from any medieval dimsenion. Kilkenny badly needs more modern recreational facilities for those of that actually want to live here rather than it solely being a showcase of the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Renewal and change is needed and should be welcomed but make a fecking effort to make it beautiful or crazy-looking or shocking but no one can tell me that they find that building in any way remarkable.

It's a plain old cinema; a couple of big rooms with big screens and a few seats. Are you expecting something similar looking to the Sydney Opera House or what?

Dr.Sanchez wrote: »
    It's a plain old cinema; a couple of big rooms with big screens and a few seats. Are you expecting something similar looking to the Sydney Opera House or what?

YES! Exactly, so glad you are on the same page as me.

A bit of imagination in an architect and some powers of persuasion would go a long way. I'd imagine soon enough it will be not just difficult to distinguish between Irish towns but between them and similar towns in other countries.

• Advertisement

A bit of imagination in an architect and some powers of persuasion would go a long way. I'd imagine soon enough it will be not just difficult to distinguish between Irish towns but between them and similar towns in other countries.

Is that not a bit over the top. Historical buildings, layouts of towns, rivers and so on are what distinguish each town easily.

If course it would be nicer if the company paid for an architect and builder to make it look more individual but cost is a factor. Can you show me anywhere in Ireland where a new cinema has done this? Be realistic.

Hopefully they will put the word Kilkenny Cinema on the from of the building to help you know where we are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Yeah there's a lot more to the design and development of buildings than "imagination" and "powers of persuasion" I'm afraid. You seem to be forgetting the monetary and many legal constraints - building, fire, health and safety regulations that must be met.

If these didn't exist every new building would look like Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. I think you need to be a bit more realistic as the poster above has already stated.

Hopefully this development leads to other it takes time to get things right enough mistakes were made during the celtic tiger thankfully we don't have major scares around kilkenny after that period. We have some great people that work hard on the tidy towns out on Saturdays etc and the gardening crew kilkenny co council hats off to everybody.

toe_knee wrote: »
    Is that not a bit over the top. Historical buildings, layouts of towns, rivers and so on are what distinguish each town easily.

A little hyperbole never killed anyone.

If course it would be nicer if the company paid for an architect and builder to make it look more individual but cost is a factor. Can you show me anywhere in Ireland where a new cinema has done this? Be realistic.

Nope, but there's no reason why planning departments couldn't look for something more inspiring. Doesn't have to cost the earth.

Hopefully they will put the word Kilkenny Cinema on the from of the building to help you know where we are

Lots of neon would be good.
    Dr.Sanchez wrote: »
    Yeah there's a lot more to the design and development of buildings than "imagination" and "powers of persuasion" I'm afraid. You seem to be forgetting the monetary and many legal constraints - building, fire, health and safety regulations that must be met.

If these didn't exist every new building would look like Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. I think you need to be a bit more realistic as the poster above has already stated.

I'm not sure what the building regs have to do with aesthetics of the form of the building. I rather think the chocolate factory could have done with a few more regs than it did have when it was 'built'.

I'm not sure what the building regs have to do with aesthetics of the form of the building. I rather think the chocolate factory could have done with a few more regs than it did have when it was 'built'.

Someone was saying they hope to have five screens ready and open for service in December and the rest in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Some colour panelling going up on the cinema exterior. Interesting to see how it looks on completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

Any ideas on open date? Pity they couldn’t have had it going for Xmas, as would be huge amount of people around town each evening. Would have been a nice way to get a lot of people into it early on. Think it looks cool tho, will be a great job when done. (I’m living next door).

The company that are doing the electrical work had advertisement last week looking for extra electricans for the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

Think it is due to open in March

• Advertisement

Anyone know what happened with Superdrug at all? Advertising for staff and a new store earlier in the year- nothing happened since!

Advertisement