Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Site Sold

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

linny wrote: »
    Looks like we will have to wait bit longer for our new cinema. It's after been appealed to an bord pleanàla.

Any idea who appealed and on what grounds. I've checked the website an board pleneala and it says nothing.

Where did you get your information?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Ah now who could protest against a new cinema, can we not have anything :(

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

kikel wrote:
    Any idea who appealed and on what grounds. I've checked the website an board pleneala and it says nothing.

kikel wrote:
    Where did you get your information?

On the Kilkenny co co web site ref no 1576 just says appealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Autosport wrote: »

The current cinema...they have form for this too.

road_high wrote:

It the same group that want to build the new cinema IMC

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »

I'll just have to keep going to Waterford so

Autosport wrote:
    I'll just have to keep going to Waterford so

Prefer Carlow myself :-) handier run up

Prefer Carlow myself :-) handier run up

I'm nearer to Waterford and they have the odeon ;).

Autosport wrote: »

Could be MacDonagh Junction either...seen as the current cinema objected to their plans a year or two ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

They would need a good reason to object, rather than just spite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Could be MacDonagh Junction either...seen as the current cinema objected to their plans a year or two ago...

According to the Bord Pleanala website, you're correct about it being McDonagh who are appealing.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/245155.htm

hi5 wrote: »
    They would need a good reason to object, rather than just spite.

Probably no more spiteful than them objecting to the MacDonagh one 😉
    Seems a bit rich to object to someone else developing, then come along with your own plans a year or two later. Sounds like protectionism to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Fortyjocks

Here we go again blocking further development and jobs for Kilkenny - looks like this could now be held up until November by McDonagh so we will be looking at that ghost site for another 6 months at least instead of pumping a few quid into the town and moving on with a decent cinema facility for the people of Kilkenny like any of the other bigger towns/cities in Ireland. Will be interested to see what aspect they are objecting to!

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

According to the Bord Pleanala website, you're correct about it being McDonagh who are appealing.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/245155.htm

From a bit of googling the name that applied for the cinema in this post ("City Cinemas Ltd.") it looks like they are the Omniplex cinema company that are operating in Ireland.
    The cinema up on the gaol road is IMC at present meaning that in a similar fashion to what happened in Carlow they are trying to back to the location where they lost a cinema originally.

Can totally see the reason that McDonough would appeal it though given that they got rejected recently.
    A better selection would be a welcome addition and maybe some deals on prices and times the same as has happened in carlow in the drive for business and the claimed "largest screen in Ireland"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

From a bit of googling the name that applied for the cinema in this post ("City Cinemas Ltd.") it looks like they are the Omniplex cinema company that are operating in Ireland.
    The cinema up on the gaol road is IMC at present meaning that in a similar fashion to what happened in Carlow they are trying to back to the location where they lost a cinema originally.

Can totally see the reason that McDonough would appeal it though given that they got rejected recently.
    A better selection would be a welcome addition and maybe some deals on prices and times the same as has happened in carlow in the drive for business and the claimed "largest screen in Ireland"
    The Omniplex cinemas are run by the Andersons, the planning application is in the name of City Cinemas Ltd which is registered to Paul Ward of the IMC chain so there's nothing to suggest Omniplex are trying to move back in.

It's a shame its going to be delayed for another 6-7 months. Hopefully it will still go ahead. I wonder what is there objection

Just read mac Donagh junctions submission. From the county council website....

Third Party Submissions
    There is one submission from MacDonagh Junction C/O Declan Brassil and Company Ltd.

The submission states that the proposal is contrary to the core strategy and would constitute a material contravention of the City and Environs Plan 2014-2020. The cinema should be considered a town centre use which will contribute to the town particularly in the evenings. The mart site is not a town centre use and the site has not been earmarked for town centre expansion during the lifetime of the current plan. The plan is to consolidate the core and MacDonagh Junction MacDonagh Junction in a sequential approach to town centre development. The proposed Cinema on the old Mart site would therefore contravene Core Strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Fortyjocks

And there I was thinking McDonagh were concerned about a drop in sweet and popcorn sales :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Can't help thinking Kilkenny ended up with the wrong family when the chain split up, I'm going to the Omniplex in Carlow tomorrow, will be interesting to see what the refurbed old place is like. Hopefully in the long run, IMC get the go ahead for this new cinema in the Mart and Omniplex or someone else eventually get to give them a bit of competition somewhere else in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Fortyjocks wrote: »
    And there I was thinking McDonagh were concerned about a drop in sweet and popcorn sales :)

Money talks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 moviemad

I'm going to the Omniplex in Carlow tomorrow, will be interesting to see what the refurbed old place is like.

I've been to the new one a few times now, it's really nice, big improvement by the previous one.

Only thing i noticed or should i say didn't notice (perhaps someone can confirm this) but i don't recall seeing a food menu with prices??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

moviemad wrote: »
    I've been to the new one a few times now, it's really nice, big improvement by the previous one.

Only thing i noticed or should i say didn't notice (perhaps someone can confirm this) but i don't recall seeing a food menu with prices??
    They're there, in both cinemas. Just look up at the wall behind the counters. Though I think the menu board in the IMC is not quite as prominent as in the Omniplex.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 moviemad

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Just look up at the wall behind the counters.

Ha ha.....I must be blind. The last night i went i emailed them beforehand for a price list. I don't feel at all stupid now.

New cinema finally got the go ahead from an Bord Pleanala. Brilliant news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

When do they think I will be ready?

New cinema finally got the go ahead from an Bord Pleanala. Brilliant news

Hope they push on with the whole site now. A cinema will be lost there on its own and look odd.

Hope they push on with the whole site now. A cinema will be lost there on its own and look odd.

What else is supposed to be going in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

What else is supposed to be going in there?
    Pennys/primark have plans to build a big new store up there

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

imacman wrote: »
    Pennys/primark have plans to build a big new store up there

Overheard two customers at work the other day, she says to her friend that in England they have Primark which is a posher version of Penney's.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

Overheard two customers at work the other day, she says to her friend that in England they have Primark which is a posher version of Penney's.

My relations in England initially thought Penney's was the upmarket cousin of Primark.

Advertisement