Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Site Sold

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

My relations in England initially thought Penney's was the upmarket cousin of Primark.
    They have plans for a big shiny store like some of their other new sites .They need to move out of that pokey store in the market cross

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

imacman wrote: »
    They have plans for a big shiny store like some of their other new sites .They need to move out of that pokey store in the market cross

Are there any facts to back up the statements that Pennys are going in on the mart site?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Id like to think they'd stay in Market cross also. It would keep life in town..

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

kikel wrote: »
    Are there any facts to back up the statements that Pennys are going in on the mart site?

One of my friends works in the Kilkenny branch and they were shown the plans last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

road_high wrote: »
    Id like to think they'd stay in Market cross also. It would keep life in town..
    Yikes. Take penny's out of Market cross and I reckon you'd lose substantial footfall, I reckon a lot of the other retailers would follow them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

One of my friends works in the Kilkenny branch and they were shown the plans last year

Not doubting your source but I've just seen the latest map of the new road through the old Mart site. Both sides of the site, bisected by the road, are labelled 'New Cinema'. There is no indication on the map of any other type of development in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

From the plans submitted to the county council, the cinema goes down one side only.

mart%20cinema%202_zpspd8pvir9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

On the kilkenny people this week it was reported that a site for a new secondary school has been located but didn't say where wonder could it be that part of the mart site

That's a massive site. No way a cinema would take it all up!

linny wrote: »
    On the kilkenny people this week it was reported that a site for a new secondary school has been located but didn't say where wonder could it be that part of the mart site

No, that's going other side of river witch rest of the schools afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Looking at the map it takes up less than a third of the complete site, and a lot of that is car park, which will probably be pay and display and refunded with the purchase of a cinema ticket.

Should they not put it around the Johnswell road/ Lintown area? No school apart from Kilkenny College with a large young population and much better infrastructure in terms of ring road etc.
    Last thing Greensbridge etc needs is another school rush! Just a thought...

The entire mart site is owned by the cinema company isn't it?

I don't think the CBS was mentioned in that story but the remainder of the mart site would be excellent for the new CBS. I guess they could use O'Loughlins for their field sports.

catbear wrote: »
    I don't think the CBS was mentioned in that story but the remainder of the mart site would be excellent for the new CBS. I guess they could use O'Loughlins for their field sports.

Agreed the mart site would make use as a school. But I doubt that will happen. It's a pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Agreed the mart site would make use as a school. But I doubt that will happen. It's a pity.

Wouldn't the school run have made that area a disaster twice a day? Busy enough round there as it is.

Wouldn't the school run have made that area a disaster twice a day? Busy enough round there as it is.

There are issues there alright but I believe a lot of those issues are us been so reliant on the car as a mode of transport. Kilkenny comes to a standstill during rush out has everyone scrambles to use the bridge rather that the ring road. Maybe, if people had a school locally there would be less trying to cross the bridges. Anyway, the car is the chosen mode of transport for kilkenny, no getting away from that anytime in the near future.

Anyone further details on this at all? looks like about 1/3 of the site would be cinema? But are there other units included in that?

I see they are removing the wall alongside the Castlecomer road side- wonder what's going on?

road_high wrote: »
    I see they are removing the wall alongside the Castlecomer road side- wonder what's going on?

Prep for the completion of CAS. I think there's detailed plans in the window of the old meubals shop on John St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

They seem to have the foundations of the new road laid heading back towards wolf tone street, got a quick look at it passing earlier.

When is the CAS supposed to actually be finished?

PaulKK wrote: »
    They seem to have the foundations of the new road laid heading back towards wolf tone street, got a quick look at it passing earlier.

That's interesting as the project tender hasn't been awarded yet.

That's interesting as the project tender hasn't been awarded yet.
    The circulated schedule said the tender was advertised in Nov and awarded in Dec. Someone has to have got it as there'd be no work happening otherwise.

The circulated schedule said the tender was advertised in Nov and awarded in Dec. Someone has to have got it as there'd be no work happening otherwise.

A noitice was circulated to residents approx a month ago indicating the conract had been awarded. The company are not JCL and are based in the north afaik.

PaulKK wrote: »

When is the CAS supposed to actually be finished?

The bridge is due to be completed in June 2016 with the road(s) due for completion in Oct 2016.

Looks like I'm wrong then. Oh sugar puffs.

http://www.fox-contracts.com/

This is the company carrying out the CAS roadworks. They haven't listed the job on their site. Their letter to residents indicated the work was due to start on 15 Feb 2016. There was no completion date given.

Latest update to local residents on the Mart site road/CAS bridge indicates that the bridge is due for completion by June 2016. The road works started on March 14th. The entire scheme (road/bridge) is due for completion Dec 2016. The Peace Park reinstatement is due to start in late Spring with completion due by July 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Anyone know when the new cinema is going to start to be built

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

linny wrote: »
    Anyone know when the new cinema is going to start to be built

Was the Cinema dwvelopment granted planning in the end?

Advertisement