Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Site Sold

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

nootroc wrote: »
    They thanked god that the hurricane a couple of years ago made the trees at the old swimming pool a public hazard. Not too many other trees met the same exacting criteria at the time. Could happen again.
    Those trees were felled for the new bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

citykat wrote: »
    Those trees were felled for the new bridge.

I know that but it was done in the aftermath of the storm so no questions were asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

nootroc wrote: »
    I know that but it was done in the aftermath of the storm so no questions were asked.
    Iirc there was something about it in the paper at the time. The trees were going to have to make way for the bridge regardless of when.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭FunkyJunky6969

Hi Peep's,

Any further news regarding the new Cinema. Have they laid any blocks over there yet ? !

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Hi Peep's,

Any further news regarding the new Cinema. Have they laid any blocks over there yet ? !

Cheers :)

Doubt it. The inner relief road will have to be finished off first, should be early spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I'm not sure what that relief road is going to relieve. The new road layouts round the mart site are pretty puzzling. Where once you had two lanes now there appears to be only room for one. Is it going to be a one way system of some sort. That turn by the petrol station in Irishtown into Vicar Street is lethal as it stands - very dangerous. Unless they knock down the houses right on the turn they can't make it any wider. The whole thing is weird with more pavement than road in so many places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Vicar Street is one way heading out of town.

The maps are here..

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/Services/Roads/Roads_Projects/Central_Access_Scheme/

I'm not sure what that relief road is going to relieve. The new road layouts round the mart site are pretty puzzling. Where once you had two lanes now there appears to be only room for one. Is it going to be a one way system of some sort. That turn by the petrol station in Irishtown into Vicar Street is lethal as it stands - very dangerous. Unless they knock down the houses right on the turn they can't make it any wider. The whole thing is weird with more pavement than road in so many places.

I think once the dust settles it'll be an improvement on Greensbridge. My main concern looking at the plan though, are the junctions appear to be signalled controlled at the Castlecomer road end. Also not sure how the junctions on Greensbridge will work either. Just have to wait and see I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Relax. Given that the Borough Council have absolutely no idea themselves what they're doing, you shouldn't blame yourself for being puzzled.

Like the Circular Road they'll start with a spray on roundabout and after a period they'll install lights.

• Advertisement

In fairness they have been quick to do the access road. Hope it all works out. It will be cool to have new businesses coming to Kilkenny bringing more employment to our great City.

In fairness they have been quick to do the access road. Hope it all works out. It will be cool to have new businesses coming to Kilkenny bringing more employment to our great City.

Totally agree. Far too much negativity and rent-a-mob stuff went on. I would have preferred the ring road be finished first but it's obvious something had to be done to manage the traffic already in town. I think once it's open, finished and blended in it will be a very useful addition.

road_high wrote: »
    Totally agree. Far too much negativity and rent-a-mob stuff went on. I would have preferred the ring road be finished first but it's obvious something had to be done to manage the traffic already in town. I think once it's open, finished and blended in it will be a very useful addition.

Me too I would have loved if the ring road was completed and who knows maybe in the future it will be. But looking back the protesters had their right to protest 100℅ but by doing that it delayed everything and delayed possible new jobs being created !

Me too I would have loved if the ring road was completed and who knows maybe in the future it will be. But looking back the protesters had their right to protest 100℅ but by doing that it delayed everything and delayed possible new jobs being created !

The same loons will always find something to protest/whine about. Know for a fact some of the ringleaders never worked for a living so jobs are of no concern to the likes of these people.

The same loons will always find something to protest/whine about. Know for a fact some of the ringleaders never worked for a living so jobs are of no concern to the likes of these people.

Never worked for a living maybe because of a lack of jobs in the area. Then by protesting they massively delayed possible jobs coming to the area. It's a vicious circle ....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 blobbykk

Road high, what are these great facts you speak of?

Sorry. This is a canard that should be killed right now. There is NO linkage between the new bridge and "possible new jobs". That's Borough Council propaganda.

The main person who flew that particular kite was Joe Crockett, who stood to gain financially from the bridge going ahead because he ended up as an advisor on the redevelopment of the Brewery site.

Just because he said that jobs depended on the bridge going ahead doesn't mean we have to believe it.

The upshot is that in addition to a bridge that's gone wildly over budget, the Borough Council are now spending €10m doing up one of the old Brewery buildings. Insane.

blobbykk wrote: »
    Road high, what are these great facts you speak of?

Great first post, welcome xxx

Mankbag wrote: »
    Sorry. This is a canard that should be killed right now. There is NO linkage between the new bridge and "possible new jobs". That's Borough Council propaganda.

The main person who flew that particular kite was Joe Crockett, who stood to gain financially from the bridge going ahead because he ended up as an advisor on the redevelopment of the Brewery site.

Just because he said that jobs depended on the bridge going ahead doesn't mean we have to believe it.

The upshot is that in addition to a bridge that's gone wildly over budget, the Borough Council are now spending €10m doing up one of the old Brewery buildings. Insane.

Would you prefer it was left there to rot with no potential for jobs?

Would you prefer it was left there to rot with no potential for jobs?

I have to agree mate !

• Advertisement

road_high wrote:
    Great first post, welcome xxx

Ahh, thanks for the welcome? If there is any truth to your facts i would love to see you back them up. Just putting the word fact into a sentence does not make it a fact.

#don'tbeleiveeverythingyoureadontheinterent

blobbykk wrote: »
    Ahh, thanks for the welcome? If there is any truth to your facts i would love to see you back them up. Just putting the word fact into a sentence does not make it a fact.

#don'tbeleiveeverythingyoureadontheinterent

Just look at any of the ringleaders and their backgrounds- pretty simple! Obviously names can't be named here but it's pretty obvious to anyone that wants to.

Just look at the ringleaders on the pro side

road_high wrote:
    Just look at any of the ringleaders and their backgrounds- pretty simple! Obviously names can't be named here but it's pretty obvious to anyone that wants to.

Why can't names be mentioned here? You said these are all facts? Why wouldn't you be allowed to mention FACTS?

Here is my opinion about what is going on. You decided to try and give strength to your argument by using the word FACT. In reality, you have no FACTS. You've an opinion about who the ringleaders are. You have an opinion about their employment history. If you have FACTS to back up your statements I'm sure there should be no liability in mentioning their names.

So I'll ask you again. Who are the ringleaders?
    What is their employment history of thse indviduals?

I have to agree mate !

You're both missing the point. I don't want the site to be left to rot - quite the reverse. It wasn't going to be left to rot anyway because a number of different plans had been drawn up.

But it's what should go on the site that's the point.

The site was bought by the Borough Council on behalf of the city. As such, it should fall to the community to decide what goes on it. Riverside walks, gardens, a museum, a micro-brewery, a certain amount of retail and/or housing, a centre for community groups - anything and everything.

There is NO rush to decide what should go on every square inch of space there. And the Council and councillors had NO mandate to get into bed with an investment fund and allow a prime piece of land to be developed for the benefit of outsiders.

Having Kilkenny's best interests at heart means having a vision and taking the long view. Not spending millions on doing up office space just because it has a view of Kilkenny Castle.

Relax. Given that the Borough Council have absolutely no idea themselves what they're doing, you shouldn't blame yourself for being puzzled.

:D:D:D

And no development yet for the mart site. Expensive roads to nowhere in particular.

WTF ringleaders? Is this the 19th century! People are allowed protest. Standing Rock for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Does anyone know when exactly the bridge is due to open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

There is NO rush to decide what should go on every square inch of space there. And the Council and councillors had NO mandate to get into bed with an investment fund and allow a prime piece of land to be developed for the benefit of outsiders.
    How do we know that investors won't be local? After yer ones cribbing about insomnia moving into Market Cross it turned out it was business owned by a local!

Yes, we are capable of business success despite local negativity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

catbear wrote: »
    How do we know that investors won't be local? After yer ones cribbing about insomnia moving into Market Cross it turned out it was business owned by a local!

Yes, we are capable of business success despite local negativity.

Is the Mart site not privately owned? I don't see how or why the locals should have such a big input if it's privately owned.

Advertisement