Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Site Sold

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

road_high wrote: »
    I'm glad they did. They're doing a great job with the Visitor Experience to be fair, only a shame they didn't when it was a working brewery!
    I agree but when it was in operation it was all about the "cost per litre" cut the workforce to the bone and it still wasn't cheap enough so shut it down was the solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Comerman wrote: »
    I agree but when it was in operation it was all about the "cost per litre" cut the workforce to the bone and it still wasn't cheap enough so shut it down was the solution.
    Technology and mechanisation is going to make more work disappear in the future too. The challenge is to continue figuring out ways to fairly redistribute the remaining workload so no one feels comparatively under or over tasked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Brewing in the middle of Kilkenny didn't make sense really, was more economic centralise all in Dublin.

catbear wrote: »
    Technology and mechanisation is going to make more work disappear in the future too.
    When I started there we had 3 men and one computer in our department and when I left there was 1 man and 4 computers :)

Brewing in the middle of Kilkenny didn't make sense really, was more economic centralise all in Dublin.
    The new bridge was supposed to have an "off ramp" into the brewery to ease the traffic through Irishtown but Diageo had other ideas anyway.They wanted to build a €650 million "super brewery" in Leixlip and that was one of the the reasons given for closing KK but when KK closed their paln was revised and they decided to put €153 million into James gate instead.

• Advertisement

The new bridge was supposed to have an "off ramp" into the brewery to ease the traffic through Irishtown but Diageo had other ideas anyway.They wanted to build a €650 million "super brewery" in Leixlip and that was one of the the reasons given for closing KK but when KK closed their paln was revised and they decided to put €153 million into James gate instead.
    I think they were trying to realise the property values of all the sites and move production to one greenfield site as you said.

In 2008, I was at the new bridge public consultations in the Ormonde Hotel (you know the ones that f all people attended but then later pissed and moaned about not being consulted etc...) and the main corporate driver was the then developer of the Mart site.

The only vocal critics who spoke up as I remember were Coilín O'Driscoll and Malcolm Noonan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Any idea when CAS is due to open?

I had a search online but couldn't find up to date information.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭FunkyJunky6969

citykat wrote: »

Is it IMC Cinema or some other Cinema chain that's moving to the old mart site ?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Is it IMC Cinema or some other Cinema chain that's moving to the old mart site ?
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/kilkenny-news/63433/Multiplex-cinema-for-old-Mart-site.html

you can see the planning details here

http://planning.kilkennycoco.ie/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=1576&LASiteID=0

• Advertisement

imacman wrote: »

Cheers thanks we really need a new one. The one on Gaol Rd only has 4 screen's unfortunately

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Cheers thanks we really need a new one. The one on Gaol Rd only has 4 screen's unfortunately

I remember the days when we only had one screen in town.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I remember the days when we only had one screen in town.

Ah yes the Regent Cinema on William Street that's not yesterday !

Ah yes the Regent Cinema on William Street that's not yesterday !

1998 I think?

1998 I think?

Yes I think your right. Hard to believe there was a Cinema there now.

1998 I think?
    Feels like a lot longer than that! I must just be getting old. Best movie there was my first, Star Wars in 78! I remember stumbling out of the cinema in a daze and in childish innocence looking up at the starry sky thinking "he's out there, Darth Vader is out there!".

Went to see the last screening in the Savoy before it closed around 87 I think. I'm sure it was a rerun of Ghostbusters. The Savoy was actually pretty good for rerunning movies that had been out a while, I remember seeing 2001 a space oddity there years after it had first been released.

Anyway enough of this trip down Alzheimers Lane.

I remember passing the building site to from the bus to school. Was a real
    boom time in construction at that time, stuff was flying up everywhere.
    It was an unsurfaced car park before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Feels like a lot longer than that! I must just be getting old. Best movie there was my first, Star Wars in 78! I remember stumbling out of the cinema in a daze and in childish innocence looking up at the starry sky thinking "he's out there, Darth Vader is out there!".

Went to see the last screening in the Savoy before it closed around 87 I think. I'm sure it was a rerun of Ghostbusters. The Savoy was actually pretty good for rerunning movies that had been out a while, I remember seeing 2001 a space oddity there years after it had first been released.

Anyway enough of this trip down Alzheimers Lane.
    StarWars was in the cinemas in '77...
    The Savoy Cinema is still open!
    Are you sure you don't mean the ambassador or the Adelphi?

pegasus1 wrote: »
    The savoy was a cinema in Kilkenny that is now the Watergate theatre.

I could be wrong about the year but movies tended to come out in Ireland months after their USA release.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

The savoy was a cinema in Kilkenny that is now the Watergate theatre.

I could be wrong about the year but movies tended to come out in Ireland months after their USA release.

Star Wars was definitely 1977 in the Savoy. I saw it there too. Around Easter, I suspect. Doesn't mean that they mightn't have shown it again the following year.

• Advertisement

pegasus1 wrote: »

You do realise it's Kilkenny we're talking about here?

Mankbag wrote: »
    Star Wars was definitely 1977 in the Savoy. I saw it there too. Around Easter, I suspect. Doesn't mean that they mightn't have shown it again the following year.
    Maybe it was Easter 78. According to this IMDB link it was released on the 27th Dec 77 in ireland
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/releaseinfo

The Savoy may have shown it too but I definitely remember seeing at the Regent.

Maybe it was Easter 78. According to this IMDB link it was released on the 27th Dec 77 in ireland
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/releaseinfo

The Savoy may have shown it too but I definitely remember seeing at the Regent.

Oh, interesting. I certainly saw it in the Savoy.

At that time films could come back around a few times, even years after their initial release. I reckon that pretty stopped though once video players arrived.

Mankbag wrote: »
    You do realise it's Kilkenny we're talking about here?

I agree let's bring in back to Kilkenny !

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I saw Star Wars in the Regent during the cinematic rereleases which were in 1997 so maybe you could be thinking of that?

Regent closed in July 98 (Lost In Space was the last film shown in there) and the Omniplex opened in August 98.

Update CAS Bridge to be open by early April and will be a two way system. Finally some new information.
    Has anyone else heard anything new ? :)

Has anyone else heard anything new ? :)
    I hear the new star wars films are ok but after Jar Jar binks I was out.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

I hear the new star wars films are ok but after Jar Jar binks I was out.

This should bring you back in nicely :) - you are all welcome

• Advertisement

Spocker wrote: »
    No, that link has definitely finished off any linger doubts. I'm done with the franchise.

Advertisement