Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballycotton 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭tiegan

Here goes round two. It's like trying to get tickets to glastobury...

Well round 2 worked for me!! How bout you??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

We always knew the Ballycotton 10 was a great race. Now it has been ranked on the world stage by ARRS, the Association of Road Racing Statisticians: Ballycotton 10 listed 26th in the ARRS World Quality 10 Mile Performances for men

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

tiegan wrote: »
    Well round 2 worked for me!! How bout you??

Round 2 was succesful! Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Was away on a bit of a break but managed to get in on the first round, assuming getting the email from Precision Timing is all I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

I got my entry - now all I have to do is get down to Ballycotton from Dublin, and I don't drive. Does anyone here know of a group organizing a bus from Cork city (or even from Dublin!) to and from the race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

I got my entry - now all I have to do is get down to Ballycotton from Dublin, and I don't drive. Does anyone here know of a group organizing a bus from Cork city (or even from Dublin!) to and from the race?

I'm not aware of any but respond to one of the latest Ballycotton posts on corkrunning.blogspot.ie and you may get an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

In around 2008 i got a train down from Dublin and there was a bus at Kent station to take runnners to the race, and back again after. No idea if they still do this though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Entries posted. Fingers crossed!

Does anyone know when the full, updated 2015 entry list goes up on their site?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the full, updated 2015 entry list goes up on their site?

Prob in a few days time

http://corkrunning.blogspot.com/2013/01/final-list-of-entries-for-2013.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Racman

In around 2008 i got a train down from Dublin and there was a bus at Kent station to take runnners to the race, and back again after. No idea if they still do this though

Check with the organisers. The last time I did it, there was no bus. The year before that, the bus left before the train arrived - mainly due to pressure from other people travelling out from Cork to the race when the train was slightly delayed. On another occasion, the bus left while I was in the toilet in the station. Taxis were expensive. In fairness, there were never many runners on the train from Dublin - the timing was always cutting it a bit fine for the race start.

Your best bet if you don't drive is to try to get a lift from someone going down on the day - took me exactly three hours to get from Dublin to the car-park at Ballycotton last time I went so it wasn't a particularly early start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Entry list also here on Cork Athletics website, along with brief analysis of the entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Yes :). I'm in. Now to sort out a place to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

Looks like a jump in entries again this year...

2015Entries.jpg

If anyone wants a list of the members from their own club, you'll find a link to a spreadsheet in this post.... http://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2015/01/ballycotton-10-entry-list-now-online.html

Looks like a jump in entries again this year...

2015Entries.jpg

If anyone wants a list of the members from their own club, you'll find a link to a spreadsheet in this post.... http://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2015/01/ballycotton-10-entry-list-now-online.html

Prob due to a bigger drop out as entering online is much easier then bothering to get a stamp etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Under a week to go to this years race, Looking forward to it as its my first Ballycotton 10.

Possible tear in calf from racing this weekend in Fota Duathlon. Will find out later this eve from physio how bad it is. Still have to run this race even thou had entry past few years. Maybe its not ment to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 RunningFree 2014

I have a place for Sunday but not sure if it suits me timewise. Can anyone who goes regularly tell me how long they think it would take to get from finish back to car park and out of ballycotton? Is there likely to be delays? Are the car parks very far from the finish line?

The village / town isn't very big, so you can walk in ten mins or so to your car (depending on which carpark you're in - but I think they're all close enough). It may take you ten mins or so to get from finish to baggage field as well, so say max 30 mins crossing the line to sitting in your car?

Don't know what the roads out were like straight after. we hung around for a good while.

Can't wait! Did it in 2013 & loved it; had an entry last year but ended up injured and could not run. Fingers crossed I saty in one piece between now & Sunday & can run :)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭tiegan

Good luck @HelenAnne, I am in the spot you were in last year, holding an entry for next Sunday but out of action with metatarsalgia. Hope to be there next year!! Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I was wondering if people bring bring families and kids along, Or is the parking and quantity of people a bit of an issue with small kids( youngest 2.5). My wife would like to go weather dependent but is not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

viperlogic wrote: »
    Possible tear in calf from racing this weekend in Fota Duathlon. Will find out later this eve from physio how bad it is. Still have to run this race even thou had entry past few years. Maybe its not ment to be!

Injured & out.
    Definite calf tear. It just went "pop" when I started to accelerate yesterday.
    C'est la vie - I've been very lucky as regards injuries for past 7 years.

tiegan wrote: »
    Good luck @HelenAnne, I am in the spot you were in last year, holding an entry for next Sunday but out of action with metatarsalgia. Hope to be there next year!! Enjoy :)

Sorry to hear that! last year I went down anyway, as had booked a weekend in Cork with husband and friends - I wished I was running but really enjoyed the village atmosphere on the day -- I cheered people on at two points, bought a bun with the Ballycotton logo etc!

to the poster asking about wife and family coming, I'd say they'd love it! last year there was a bit of music and a great buzz around the town,. there were loads of families out cheering. and if they get cold waiting for you to finish, there are pubs and cafes - they could go in for an hour and then come out to cheer you at the end. There's a nice walk by the sea in the village, and a little pier area, and there's race HQ with t-shirts for sale etc. I really enjoyed watching last year. I'd tell them to bring warm clothes though - the village is right by the sea so it could be cold and breezy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

boydkev wrote: »
    I was wondering if people bring bring families and kids along, Or is the parking and quantity of people a bit of an issue with small kids( youngest 2.5). My wife would like to go weather dependent but is not sure.
    Yeah, lots of spectators along the first-last mile of the race and a really great atmosphere. Current forecast is for 10'C, light northerly breeze and dry, so not too bad. You should expect some delays getting in and out of the parking areas, as you get 4-5 thousand extra people swarming into a small town, so if that's going to be a problem..... Also, the car parks are a good 15-20 minute walk from the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

Update about the Ballycotton 10...Race packages, Transferring Numbers & Water station.

The organisers released this today.... http://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2015/03/ballycotton-10-updatesrace-packages.html

Note the use of bottles this year but only 1 water station instead of the previous 2.

Only one water station this year at mile 5. personally i think a 10 miler needs 2 water station. i don't tend to drink water and only thrown it over my head for 10m but 5m is a long time to be without water for slower runners. The 3/7 mile one used to work ok other years but they are removing due to congestion. I don't know why they can't have it 3.5 and 6.5 or something like that so they are staggered?

viperlogic wrote: »

Physio gave all clear on Monday. Was just a v bad spasm. Some physio and dry needling and its as good as new. So I finally get to do ballycotton but I wont be racing, I shall be pacing a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

rom wrote: »
    Only one water station this year at mile 5. personally i think a 10 miler needs 2 water station. i don't tend to drink water and only thrown it over my head for 10m but 5m is a long time to be without water for slower runners. The 3/7 mile one used to work ok other years but they are removing due to congestion. I don't know why they can't have it 3.5 and 6.5 or something like that so they are staggered?

I'm just delighted that the dreaded cups are gone. I think one water station over a 10 mile race in March should be fine. I'll probably be able to take on boards more water with that one bottle, than I could with two separate cups anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Quick question - in terms of training, I am, as I am sure others are, training for Cork in June, not sure what mileage to do tonight - not going to do the Q run as per JD plan as I don't think I will recover enough to do a PB on Sunday if that is the case - anyone have any suggestions? supposed to be 13 miles tonight but was going to do 8 mostly easy with a couple of thresholds in there and then just 3 or 4 for the next couple of days.

Advertisement