Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer says no: two attached houses, line coming from same pole, one gets efibre th

Options
  • 10-11-2014 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

I'm having a peculiar situation here: our next door neighbour (literally next door - house attached to ours!) has just been upgraded to efibre, but when we check our number it still shows as unavailable.

Efibre is meant to be available in our are. I can see both lines going to the respective houses from the same pole, so it would be the same distance to cabinet/switch for both lines.

I have tried to speak to someone on the phone to get some basic information on why is there a discrepancy and where does the discrepancy lie, but they have been very unhelpful, unwilling to investigate, and keep giving me a stock "computer says no" answer without even any attempt and explaining.

Prior to logging in a formal complaint with Eircom as a last resort and follow ups with regulatory authorities, I thought I'd post here to see if any of the eircom representative can look into it and find a solution. Please feel free to contact me and I'll give you the details of both numbers, account number, etc.

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Itsabrack

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    I'm having a peculiar situation here: our next door neighbour (literally next door - house attached to ours!) has just been upgraded to efibre, but when we check our number it still shows as unavailable.

Efibre is meant to be available in our are. I can see both lines going to the respective houses from the same pole, so it would be the same distance to cabinet/switch for both lines.

I have tried to speak to someone on the phone to get some basic information on why is there a discrepancy and where does the discrepancy lie, but they have been very unhelpful, unwilling to investigate, and keep giving me a stock "computer says no" answer without even any attempt and explaining.

Prior to logging in a formal complaint with Eircom as a last resort and follow ups with regulatory authorities, I thought I'd post here to see if any of the eircom representative can look into it and find a solution. Please feel free to contact me and I'll give you the details of both numbers, account number, etc.

Thanks in Advance
    Do you have broadband on the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Yep. But reduced to 3.5Mbps. It was exact same for my next door neighbour prior to upgrade (capped at 3.5) so probably identical line quality.

I know there is such thing as a carrier line where you could just have an extension off your neighbours line thus limiting you to a landline (eircom by law have to provide a phone line but it doesnt have to be broadband enabled) This could be something similar where the fibre can only get to your neighbours or you. I am just guessing this, but eircom is not obliged to have anything else but a phone line to you

Thanks, that very useful to know, especially considering the age of our house. If that were the case, what would happen if I requested for a new (additional) line - would they still use the legacy line over the neighbours, or would they provide a new dedicated line to the cabinet?

PS: would that be what's called a Split line, or a DACS box?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Thanks in Advance
    Hi MuffinsDa

If you would like to PM me your existing eircom account number I will be happy to look in to this for you.

Thanks
    Al

Done, PM sent. Thanks for looking into this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Done, PM sent. Thanks for looking into this.
    No worries MuffinsDa

I'll get back to you as soon as I have more information

Al

Your only real choice is to know an eircom engineer in a van and for him to get up the pole and tell you what is going on, to be fair to eircom customer service, they can't do anything if the hardware between you and the exchange is providing you the service you have. I remember a few years back working in the IT game, if a company was on a carrier and couldn't get broadband (shocking now) I used to have to order and ISDN line for them and that would take away the carrier, then request it go back to normal analogue once it was in, (called reverse migration) and then order broadband on the line. Eircom wouldn't just upgrade the line from a carrier, the highest level of burocracy ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

Itsabrack wrote: »
    Your only real choice is to know an eircom engineer in a van and for him to get up the pole and tell you what is going on, to be fair to eircom customer service, they can't do anything if the hardware between you and the exchange is providing you the service you have. I remember a few years back working in the IT game, if a company was on a carrier and couldn't get broadband (shocking now) I used to have to order and ISDN line for them and that would take away the carrier, then request it go back to normal analogue once it was in, (called reverse migration) and then order broadband on the line. Eircom wouldn't just upgrade the line from a carrier, the highest level of burocracy ever!
    Hi itsabrack

Just looking at this. As MuffinsDa has already confirmed he has Broadband the issue here would not have anything to do with being on a carrier line, as if he was, he would not have any DSL Broadband.

The installation of efibre does not involve any changes or replacing of the line connecting MuffinsDa house and the Efibre enabled cabinet. As efibre is rolled out on a phased basis and we do not offer guaranteed dates of availability to individual addresses I believe the reason MuffinsDa cannot order efibre is because the service has not been made 'ready to order' for him as of yet.

thanks
    Colm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Hi itsabrack

Just looking at this. As MuffinsDa has already confirmed he has Broadband the issue here would not have anything to do with being on a carrier line, as if he was, he would not have any DSL Broadband.

The installation of efibre does not involve any changes or replacing of the line connecting MuffinsDa house and the Efibre enabled cabinet. As efibre is rolled out on a phased basis and we do not offer guaranteed dates of availability to individual addresses I believe the reason MuffinsDa cannot order efibre is because the service has not been made 'ready to order' for him as of yet.

thanks
    Colm

That is a laughable answer.

Computer says no.

Hi itsabrack

thanks
    Colm
    Hi Colm,

Thanks for your reply, but that doesn't really address my original question or concerns (discrepancy in availability in adjacent properties). But I presume Al is going to continue with his investigation (as he has the details) and I'll wait his reply, is that the case?

Regards
    Ashkan

I wasn't saying he was on a carrier, because he has broadband already. I was suggesting if his line wasn't able to receive fibre because of some issue with the line from him to the exchange (which you've said there isn't), I found in the past with the carrier situation that I needed to ask  an engineer who was working in the area to pop up the pole and tell me what the situation. 7 or 8 years ago this was a big issue with broadband where eircom customer service could not(or would not) take the customer of the carrier, and the answer was simply, "your line is not broadband enabled", no ifs, buts or maybes. What I was suggesting to the poster was if he wasn't getting all the answers on the phone he should ask an engineer if he knew one, to tell him the situation.

You must be a fan of Black Books - the reply above is along the lines of:

" If it wasn't the way it is, it wouldn't be the way it is"

In other words it's not available because it hasn't been made available yet. Well. Thanks.

What i was saying is, and sorry for being confusing, is maybe you will never be able to get fibre because of your current setup between the exchange and your house, and if this is the case you need to get an engineer up the pole outside your house, eircom won't do it, they only have to supply you with a phone line.

and what the f#@k is black books

Hi itsabrack

thanks
    Colm
    Itsabrack I was referring to Colm, with regards to highlighted bit above, not you, sorry for the confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

In other words it's not available because it hasn't been made available yet. Well. Thanks.
    Hi MuffinsDa

I am a fan of Black Books!

On the subject of efibre availability, I understand you may have not been happy with my original response, however we do not offer guaranteed dates of efibre availability to individual addresses. I understand it may be frustrating when your next door neighbour has efibre and you don't as of yet. I would advise you to check the line checker here periodically- Check Availability. As soon as efibre is available you will be advised of this (as well as max speed available to you) when checking on that link.

thanks
    Colm

Hi MuffinsDa

I am a fan of Black Books!

On the subject of efibre availability, I understand you may have not been happy with my original response, however we do not offer guaranteed dates of efibre availability to individual addresses. I understand it may be frustrating when your next door neighbour has efibre and you don't as of yet. I would advise you to check the line checker here periodically- Check Availability. As soon as efibre is available you will be advised of this (as well as max speed available to you) when checking on that link.

thanks
    Colm
    Colm,

I have sent my details to Al. Is he still going to get back to me with further details or is that all you can say for now?

If that's all then what is the point of you wasting your time or my time here, it's worse that the phone support. Do you have slightest pride in your work or anything but contempt for customers?! Do you really think it's an adequate response?! I asked for a reason why is there a discrepancy, in a very straight forward case. All it would have taken you was to bother to do a bit of investigation and comparing the lines, or offering solutions that are at least as bad as your phone support people. But you are throwing "no guarntee" at me, which ofcourse is correct, but it's extremely poor customer service and a sign of you not giving a hoot about the customer to at least have the courtesy of giving a proper explanation. 

I'll await Al's response before further follow ups.

Regards
    M.

I checked the line checker again and lo and behold, computer says even a firmer no!! 
    Up to last week it was saying that eFibre is available in our area, however our address is not enabled yet.
    Now when I put my number it says eFibre is not available to our area altogether!!!

Way to go? Any idea what has happened? Has my posts here prompted your colleagues to remove out number from the database altogether, or has eircom scuppered previous plans, or ...?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

I checked the line checker again and lo and behold, computer says even a firmer no!! 
    Up to last week it was saying that eFibre is available in our area, however our address is not enabled yet.
    Now when I put my number it says eFibre is not available to our area altogether!!!

Way to go? Any idea what has happened? Has my posts here prompted your colleagues to remove out number from the database altogether, or has eircom scuppered previous plans, or ...?!?!
    I have the same problem and its going on since August , my sister is living next door , two new houses built beside each other  , the cabinet is three poles away and would you believe my sisters house was connected about five weeks ago ! .... heres the link

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

Tiger72 wrote: »

I have the same problem and its going on since August , my sister is living next door , two new houses built beside each other  , the cabinet is three poles away and would you believe my sisters house was connected about five weeks ago ! .... heres the link
    I cant post the link , i have bumped it up .... its under this thread :
    Fibre broadband orderd but when line installed ordinary Broadband only available !!

Advertisement