Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think it's on the way out..

Options
  • 10-11-2014 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

So,

I built my PC in March 2008. 6.5 years, not bad! I think it's finally on the way out. In the last 24 hours i've experienced the following:
    • POST Screen hung twice in a row, only fixed when I cycled the PSU
    • Another pre Windows startup screen hung for a while then randomly rebooted in Windows repair menu
    • Strangest - last night it looks like the PATH setting was corrupt, could run Ping from cmd or open Environment Variables from system menu. Fixed after restart.

I'm not really sure what would be causing all this. I'm using an SSD for OS installation.

Any ideas on this kind of thing?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DonalanFear

It could be a lot of things unfortunately.

Because of the age of the PC, the first thing I'd check is whether there's a lot of dust inside the machine, whether all the fans are rotating optimally. It may be worth downloading the motherboard utility that checks processor temperatures, fan speeds etc.

Burn memtest86+ onto a cd, and boot to it, and use that to test the system RAM.

Go into the windows event viewer, go to the 'system' event viewer, and click on the 'source' column so the events are listed in alphabetical order by source. Look for 'disk' events that relate to the hard drive, e.g. bad blocks or controller errors.

I have a computer of similar age, that was exhibiting bizarre behaviour. My computer actually had a combination of overheating, and I also had to change the Power Supply Unit. (I've had to also replace the hard drive since that!)

As you can see, you're talking about a lot of time to investigate, and if you've to get someone else to do it and pay for them, it would be cheaper and more efficient to get a new box.

Advertisement