Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elderly aunt moving from community care

• 10-11-2014 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

My aunt has moved from long stay community care to private nursing home on Friday ..She is 87 and has being ill for a while.. The application for the fair deal scheme is going through at present but i was told it could take weeks... I would like to know how will she pay for her care in nursing home.. She does have a PPPA account.. I am not sure if she was managing her own affairs while in community care. Don't know what to do..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

I don't know much about the fair deal process, but a few posters do so hopefully they'll be along to offer some insights.

Does your aunt have children to support her in this? Or did a social worker help her with the fair deal forms? (or maybe you?) You could ask the nursing home how care is generally funded whilst fair deal is processing but due to confidentiality they may not be able to discuss your aunt's financial arrangements. Are you able to talk it through with your aunt?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Littlecar

Frito wrote: »
    I don't know much about the fair deal process, but a few posters do so hopefully they'll be along to offer some insights.

Does your aunt have children to support her in this? Or did a social worker help her with the fair deal forms? (or maybe you?) You could ask the nursing home how care is generally funded whilst fair deal is processing but due to confidentiality they may not be able to discuss your aunt's financial arrangements. Are you able to talk it through with your aunt?
    Hi ...no my aunt was never married.... I am her next of kin... The care centre where she was staying before going into acute Hospitial filled up the forms for fair deal.. She went to private nursing home from the hospitial.. My aunt don't understand really..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Hmm, so someone knows how the care is being funded but it's neither your aunt nor you as her NOK.
    You could speak to the manager of the nursing home. If they won't discuss this with you without your aunt's consent, then speak to the manager with your aunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Suggest you talk to the nursing home as above. They will require payment until the fair deal comes through, but some might be willing to shelve it for a week or so. However if the process has just started it can take some time.

Just have a quiet word, you will also want to get a grasp on what services are above their standard bill
    eg
    hair / nails / medication
    and again how these will be funded.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Littlecar

Frito wrote: »
    Hmm, so someone knows how the care is being funded but it's neither your aunt nor you as her NOK.
    You could speak to the manager of the nursing home. If they won't discuss this with you without your aunt's consent, then speak to the manager with your aunt.
    Hi again spoke to the manager thanks for advice.. He told me the care person from the community house where my aunt was staying prior to moving to private nursing home will issue a cheque to nursing home monthly from my aunts credit union account!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement