Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Vicar St, April 18th

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭The Enabler

Can't wait for this gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Will there be a warm up act does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I sold my ticket. Crazy? I listened to the new stuff, and can't get into it as such. I was thinking "I should be going to this gig, because this band are critically acclaimed, so I might be losing out".

I dunno. They're good, but..... No they're very good. But... Gah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

seachto7 wrote: »
    I sold my ticket. Crazy? I listened to the new stuff, and can't get into it as such. I was thinking "I should be going to this gig, because this band are critically acclaimed, so I might be losing out".

I dunno. They're good, but..... No they're very good. But... Gah!

My motto is that there's no such thing as a bad gig. If you go and it's awful you can always leave, if you don't go and it's incredible you'll be kicking yourself.

Source: Bitter experience

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm not mad on the new album myself, but not a chance I'd miss this

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

I'm not mad on the new album myself, but not a chance I'd miss this

Same, it's very mediocre. Maybe I'm just jaded by all the imitation 3rd wave post-rock acts they inspired.
    Either way it'll be an experience! Hafta tick em off the list anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

It is definitely on yeah?
    Not listed on vicar street's events at all.
    Anyone know what time doors are open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Doors are at 7.

Stage times for Vicar Street tonight
    8pm Total Life
    9pm Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    Still some tickets avail on ticketmaste.
    Afterwards u:mack DJ's in Loft at Hangar on Andrews lane at 11.30

From the event page on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/events/642821845834565/727861383997277/

Magnificent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

That was amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

To think I almost didn't go to that....

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Paddez

Was anyone able to make up a setlist?
    Seems Dublin isn't listed on setlist.fm

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭The Enabler

That was great! Glad I had earplugs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

The opener was nice to listen to but not worth clapping for. Godspeed were the amazing, the unknown songs were awesome. Loved everything about it, no Moya but we got The Sad Mafioso from East Hastings instead.

Shame about the couple near me who were talking to each other for the duration of the entire show, shouting over each song because they couldn't hear themselves, pity they missed a great show. I wonder what they came for...

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

What a night! That has to rate up there for one of my all time favorite gigs

My right ear is still ringing.

Saruwatari wrote: »
    My right ear is still ringing.

I don't mean to jump on a soapbox but I'm hoping this is the point where you realise the importance of earplugs lest you want to listen to that ringing for the rest of your life. I mean, would you willingly look directly into the sun for prolonged periods of time and damage your eyesight irreparably?

You either wear them before you ever damage your hearing or find out the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

C'mon guys and gals give a review of the gig, describe the band, light show and sound. Maybe since they played this early this year they might still get added to the Picnic bill if they are still touring around then.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

C'mon guys and gals give a review of the gig, describe the band, light show and sound.

It's honestly difficult to know what to say other than it was amazing. It's one of those bands that's all about getting lost in the music and being in the moment. They delivered.

There was no lightshow, the backdrop was 2 videos in a stereoscopic setup that looped throughout the songs. They're very minimalist when it comes to a stageshow. They're there to perform their music, not wow you with flashy lights and exaggerated energy. That being said though, while they didn't move around the stage (because they can't, no room) they were very clearly into it.

The sound mix was great except at points where the bass hit that humming tone where it drowns everything else out. I think the overall sound might've been a little high as there was some very audible clipping for a few moments. But those 2 things account for maybe 90 seconds of a 2 hour performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Absolutely sickened I missed this! It was bound to be awesome.

Numina wrote: »
    I don't mean to jump on a soapbox but I'm hoping this is the point where you realise the importance of earplugs lest you want to listen to that ringing for the rest of your life. I mean, would you willingly look directly into the sun for prolonged periods of time and damage your eyesight irreparably?

You either wear them before you ever damage your hearing or find out the hard way.

Yeah I completely deserved it this time round. I usually wear them but I haven't been dedicated enough recently...

Only negative thing I would say about the gig is the amount of people going in and out of the bar was infuriating. I was at the back of standing and throughout the gig constantly had to let people past to get out. It was the type of gig you want to zone out and just concentrate on the music and I found it really irritating to brought out of that so someone can get a pint. Can't understand why people can't just forgo the drink and enjoy an amazing performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

C'mon guys and gals give a review of the gig, describe the band, light show and sound. Maybe since they played this early this year they might still get added to the Picnic bill if they are still touring around then.

I'll do my best...

Coming back from the bar on the way to main room, just before things kicked off, I was momentarily blown away by the undeniable smell of weed issuing from the smokers outside the main door. Potent and prolonged. Just like Godspeed themselves really if you think about it. It set the tone aptly for the next two hours.

Things started slowly enough. The band ambled on stage and set about creating a slow burning ghostly racket, seemingly without form and under a huge screen, which flickered and spluttered to threateningly come to life, until you realised, ten minutes down the line, that the tune had formed itself into a giant that was busy kicking your ass and the images on screen had morphed into a perfect visual accompaniment to sonic hugeness.

No complaints.

That was pretty much the way things were for the gig. That's not a criticism, that's the way Godspeed's music works. If you like them, you won't have any regrets after seeing them live. I suppose if someone was being really harsh, they could say that most of their music follows the same basic pattern of slow build up, followed by gigantic conclusion but it takes such undeniable skill to pull it off so well and with such grandeur and weight, that you'd have be extremely uncharitable to grudge these guys a verdict of awesomeness.

It' s cool to see such epic music played in front of your eyes and at top, top volume. The band stays fairly aloof throughout, not too much of "how you guys doing tonight?", but I'd rather see someone flaking the s.h.i.t out of their instrument and sweating buckets on stage, than keeping us all happy with small talk.

The imagery on display helps set an emotional tone. Sometimes it's beautiful, sometimes it's messy and sometimes it's powerful- Rows of endless stock prices flying past your eyes, as monolithic beautiful despair goes into your ears. It was hard not to feel for the state of the world for a bit. I hope that was the idea.

I was impressed with the sound quality, I felt like I heard everything close to perfectly. Also, a refreshing lack of people watching the gig through their devices, most used their eyes and ears to experience things, instead of relying on an intermediary. The majority of people nearby to myself were well into it, despite the inevitable emotional drain, all the way throughout the couple of hours.

So yeah, great gig.

Advertisement